You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is football dying

Lee909

This thread is probably as good a place as any for the news that UEFA have opened an investigation into Man City. Based on the der Spiegel  stuff, unless they have evidence to the contrary they're fucked.

As El Diego says the choice to watch European football now is great. When i started watching Spanish and Italian footy I had to watch S4C Sgorio on a grainy shit picture with Welsh commentary. 

I never listen to any punditry, I turn over or go to do something else while it is on. 

Football rivalry is shit now, being a Liverpool fan you just get the same mundane shite off other fans about being a penniless scouser and Liverpool never winning the league. Loads of other fans seem to hate each other for the sake of it. All shit nomark teams want to create a deadly rivalry with their nearest club even though they don't play in the same division or have no real history of competing against each other for trophies or promotions. It's like they need a team to hate to make football worthwhile for them.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, No2 said:

This thread is probably as good a place as any for the news that UEFA have opened an investigation into Man City. Based on the der Spiegel  stuff, unless they have evidence to the contrary they're fucked.

Can we deduct them a few points?

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

What's the jist.

Third party ownership of players, asked specifically about it and lied. Funnelling money through Abu Dhabi back to the sponsors and then back into the club to cook the books. Players being paid in all sorts of ways to avoid tax and expenses against the club. Mancini for example was paid millions to be a consultant to some Arab team while managing  City for peanuts.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Can we deduct them a few points?

When UEFA do them The FA will have no choice but follow suit. This cheating is way worse than what West Ham were done for, its closer to Juventus in terms of trying to bend the rules.

19 minutes ago, niallers said:

Them and the other oil cheating cunts, Paris, will only threaten them with the lawyers again and bung the lot of them a couple of million to make it go away

The thing about this is the leaks show City and PSG swinging their big mickeys at UEFA already. That was embarrassing for them, they can't be seen to cave again. Another thing to consider is how much the Spanish FA and Bayern hate the oil cheats and what they represent. Its in the interests of the club's with influence in europe to peg these cunts back.

• Upvote 1

I do feel the sites demographics are probably playing a part in this (i.e. that those using forums are getting older in comparison to other social media platforms) and generally other priorities start becoming more significant.

For me the thing that is really starting to get to me is the realisation that we may amass a huge points total this year and next, but could be eclipsed- as we have been in the recent past- by a level of financial doping which is getting to the point of tedium, you have to go back to Arsenals 2017 FA Cup win for a top level domestic English trophy that was not won by a significantly financially doped side and even then they had huge amounts of money coming through from the T.V. contracts with billionaire foreign owners.

We are currently competing against not a team, but one of the worlds richest nation states, every time I see City score it reminds me of where that wealth is derived from and that within about 30-40 years huge areas of our planet will be uninhabitable with associated ecosystem collapse due to the climate change our carbon economy has produced, something that Abu Dhabi have been at the core of and have benefited from so substantially .

Now you can always point to money having effected the game whether it be the numerous clubs who have held the title 'Bank of England club' or Millionarios of Colombia in the early 50's (the clue is in the name haha) and Franco's political vehicle in Real Madrid in the late 50's. However the level of money pumped into Chelsea and City's charge to honours has been grotesque. 

As others have said I can block out the paraphernalia of modern football, but feeling the league slide towards the domination that other leagues suffer from is tiresome (I'm well versed in this having a side-line of a diddy team in Scotland outside the ugly sisters).

The other thing that is a bit of an issue if the paucity of football on 'terrestrial' t.v. I grew up with the champions league being on ITV during midweeks, which inevitably dominated classroom discussions for the next couple of days. There is now an assumption that you have to live in a household that shellacs out a minor fortune each year for subscriptions let alone attending exorbitant matches, I wonder what this is doing to the game in hard up economic areas, talking to some of the kids round my way at a football practice my brother in law runs you get the sense that the FIFA games now stand in as a proxy for the actual sport. This may have some serious ramifications for the sport in the future and the way clubs are followed particularly those that are less glamorous.

I'm not sure what point I'm entirely making, but the money does feel like the game is making me feel less involved.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Prime example of the shit I was talking about with dickheads rivalries these days. 

Do like the way someone has set him up for abuse mind. 

What a cunt

Screenshot_20190310-195542.jpg

I remember when going to away games was almost taking your life into your own hands,but as rough as it was, there was more decency about. 

Society is softer but nastier now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1