You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is football dying

Lee909

It’s not all bad, you gotta take the rough with the smooth. You can literally watch any game you wish now. I don’t long for the days of watching teletext for two hours on a Saturday. The European football on a Sunday night is a highlight of the week for me. The choice of Italian, Spanish, French or Portuguese. Or call the midwife. 

It kind of needs to. At the very least, the continued influx of obscene money at the top end needs to be eradicated. The figures you see banded about for transfer fees, salaries and agents' fees are ridiculous when you consider the reality of what all that money is paying for. We hear every now and again that things are slowing down, and that Sky and BT Sport are not gaining subscribers etc, but the TV deals keep going up. The amounts paid by kit manufacturers keeps going up. The amounts paid to sponsor teams keeps going up. The cost of match tickets keeps going up (or standing still, at the most). The cost of buying kits keeps going up.

To echo the thoughts of a few of you, I actually want to be able to take a step back from it all and not have our team's results and performances influence my mood so much. Would us winning the league this year help me do that? I don't know, but I'd like to hope so, if for no other reason than to be able to say I've seen us win everything I've wanted us to win. I was just a kid when we last won it, and it didn't matter so much then. I watched us when we were live on ITV's The Big Match or MOTD when it was FA Cup weekend (so maybe less than a dozen times a season) but otherwise barely kept up to date with how we were doing unless I just so happened to be watching TV when Final Score or the ITV version with Elton Welsby was on. Same with Saint & Greavsie. A return to that state of mind would not be a bad thing, and if the influence of money in the game returns to how it was back then too, then even better.

I want to care, just not care so much.

30 minutes ago, aRdja said:

“Part of the problem is we’re seeing too many black players”

Well done you racist fucking halfwit. 

He was once the race policeman on here.

Can you not see he has just changed his internet persona?

Or has just emerged from one teenage phase to another.

7 minutes ago, janmolby said:

I literally don't watch any football analysis.

Turn the game on 2 minutes before KO, go do something at half time. Turn it off at the final whistle. 

Enjoy the good bits, fuck all the tedious pre package dial a bantz bollocks off.

Similar with me; if we win i’ll watch a bit of the post match stuff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Everyone who is older thinks football isn't what is used to be. 

It isn't what it used to be.  

Older people who were there, as opposed to younger people who weren't, know that.

Whether it's better or worse - or dying or something - is the matter of opinion.

If anything its becoming more popular.

But yes I share the sentiment. I hadn't realised how much my mood is affected by football until recently so I made a conscious effort to distance myself from it. I enjoy the actual game, but the punditry and tribal fandom I can live without.

Because we are in a proper title race I found myself giving zero fucks about Arsenal Utd Chelsea and Spurs. For my entire adult life their results affected our bid for top 4, this season they are irrelevant unless they're playing city or ourselves. 

I would have always had the phone out keeping up to date if u wasn't watching them, now it's 90 minutes in a weekend for Liverpool and that's it. It's better this way.

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

What the fucks wrong with sports. 

I need a decent one to follow and egg chasing can fuck right off. Public school boys, soggy biscuit eating nonces

The Snooker is where its at mate. 

Fucking love the snooker me. 

Oil money - it is what it is, we're not innocent having spent some tidy sums on our players.

Crap fan banter - ignore it.

Social media gimps - ignore them.  I don't use twitter and barely go on Facebook.

VAR - I'm in favour of this, despite the odd fuck up.  I believe that in time it will lead to more correct decisions being made and will reduce human error.

Over saturation - watch less football, if that's what you want.

Costs - this one I agree with.  I refuse to pay the going rate for attending a match in this country (any division).   I don't pay any subscriptions to watch footy, the only thing I pay for is this website.

No nothing dickheads in the media - ignore them.  I always seek out an NBCSN stream, as their presenters, commentators and pundits have the lowest dickhead ratio by far.  I really like their coverage.

Every cunt thinking their opinion matters - ignore them.

Fucking stats galore - ignore them if you don't like them.  Personally I think they have their place when used well.

Short answer: no, it's not dead.  It has just changed a lot. 

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned this before, but the social media and clickbait shit turning football into a soap opera does my fucking head in. I rarely read anything on news sites and ignore podcasts and footy channels even if they're pro Liverpool. They're usually full of superfans that want to tell you how you should support, some I'm guessing S.O.S. members that want to control how fans think.

If you look at the web pages for footy now it's all gossip about this or that shit and very little about the actual matches or performances. A two year old could write a football match report and probably do a better job. I thought commentary had gone to shit but it's been joined by the pricks that call themselves football journalists. Everything is about trying to make the world around football exciting by just throwing rumour and lies in.

Today it's VAR, just as bent as some of the refs. Tomorrow it's a phone vote. You think I'm joking. Won't be long before the crowd at home get interact and make decisions. Sounds stupid, let's see. 

5 hours ago, Hades said:

Part of the problem is the game's gotten too fast. All 22 players can cover every blade of grass in a matter of seconds. Every game is full of 11 Western African/half-African athletes playing the same pinball style tactics. Maybe taking out one player or finding a way to make it more technical would make the game better. It's like watching the AFCON everywhere. 

Racist