You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Prodigy - Keith Flint

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Seen them at Glastonbury in 1997, what a day that was. Granted I don't remember it much but it was probably brilliant.

I actually remember the first time I heard Everybody in the place, it was 1991 and I was standing at Runcorn East station waiting for a train to Warrington and a lad stood near me had it blasting out of a Walkman, didn't know at the time what it was and took a few weeks to track it down. Loved that tune.

Think i saw them perform it first on that Dance Energy (?)show that was on bbc2 every week. Fucking Normski.

• Upvote 1

The mixtape with Voodoo People on it.

Bouncing around the room like a mad little bastard when Firestarter was released.

Buying Breathe on cassette on release day.  Wearing that fucker out.

Picking up Fire/Jericho from Woolies bargain bin about five years after release.

Saving up for FoTL.

Reading 2002.

What a legend, a true 90s icon.

Why the FUCK didn't I go see them again??  I've seen fucking Pitchshifter more times...

Been blasting them all day. Howlett's a fucking genius, hope him and Maxim can put together something to keep going in some form given time.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

The mixtape with Voodoo People on it.

Bouncing around the room like a mad little bastard when Firestarter was released.

Buying Breathe on cassette on release day.  Wearing that fucker out.

Picking up Fire/Jericho from Woolies bargain bin about five years after release.

Saving up for FoTL.

Reading 2002.

What a legend, a true 90s icon.

Why the FUCK didn't I go see them again??  I've seen fucking Pitchshifter more times...

Been blasting them all day. Howlett's a fucking genius, hope him and Maxim can put together something to keep going in some form given time.

I think that may have been part of the problem.

Having seen them a good few times over the years, from pokey rave gigs back in the 90's to brixton academy and fuck off big festivals, the last gig over in Melbourne was a bit weird. It seemed they had list a certain amount of authenticity.

The set was very rock heavy, dude sat in front of us who was late 40's turned his baseball cap back to front and started running around the venue doing big fucking rock hands \^^^/ \^^^/.

I said to my missus this isnt the same band we grew up with, they played a little bit of dancey stuff, which was great, but overall pretty gnarly.

Maxim Reality is at one point shouting we love you Melbourne, this is awesome, we're never gonna leave, we're gonna fucking die up here, this is us.

5 minutes later it was: ok, this next one is the last song.

it just seemed a bit soulless and paint by numbers, rather than electric as they have been previously - granted I had normally been mashed, but I compare it to Orbital 2 weeks later and they were so much more representative of the band i sledged to for a decade,

I had a bit of a soft spot for The Prodigy in the 90s, I still think Poison is one of the best tracks of the whole decade but I always thought Firestarter & Breathe were disappointing by their standards, shows you what I know when they were their only two number ones.

Diesel Power also has some of the best finger clicks ever put to tape, at least I think they were finger clicks on the off beat. They sounded fucking brilliant anyway.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I had a bit of a soft spot for The Prodigy in the 90s, I still think Poison is one of the best tracks of the whole decade but I always thought Firestarter & Breathe were disappointing by their standards, shows you what I know when they were their only two number ones.

Diesel Power also has some of the best finger clicks ever put to tape, at least I think they were finger clicks on the off beat. They sounded fucking brilliant anyway.

I really liked Invaders Must Die. Saw them twice the year they released that and they were off the scale. I put it up there with Fat Of The Land. 

As a few have said, dance music isn't my thing either but bands or acts like The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Orbital and Fatboy Slim have always kept my toes dipped into that particular scene. 

5 hours ago, DimReaper said:

Listening to Prodigy quite a bit this week, I really love Experience, it's such a great album. I've never really got MFTJJ in the way some people love it. FOTL I like a lot too, more than MFTJJ but not as much as Experience. Never heard the others, I don't think. 

music for the jilted generation shits all over fat of the land, fat of the land was far too britpop, also that was when the heavy rockblerts started getting into the prodigy, invaders must die was the best album after the first 2, electron inspired with heavy beats.

under the punky rock direction they became more like a british green day

listen to dirtchamber sessions for a good understanding on the roots of howlett, i think he went in the direction of sales rather than where he came from musically.

went to see the happy mondays again last night, they embody the punk attitude much more for my generation than the prodigy, just listen to wrote for luck - compare it to firestarter, one has punk written all over it, the other aspires to it, but has lost its impact 

1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

music for the jilted generation shits all over fat of the land, fat of the land was far too britpop, also that was when the heavy rockblerts started getting into the prodigy, invaders must die was the best album after the first 2, electron inspired with heavy beats.

listen to dirtchamber sessions for a good understanding on the roots of howlett, i think he went in the direction of sales rather than where he came from musically.

went to see the happy mondays again last night, they embody the punk attitude much more for my generation than the prodigy, just listen to wrote for luck - compare it to firestarter, one has punk written all over it, the other aspires to it, but has lost its impact 

I have never agreed and disagreed with a post as much as that. 

9 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Firstly, let me just put on record that I don't know why the fuck I was calling it "MFTJJ" as if "Generation" begins with a J. Anyway, I know what you mean tbh - MFTJG is a purer album than FOTL but, for whatever reason, it's always left me a bit cold whereas FOTL was an album that I was around a lot when I was younger - I've got more personal attachment to it. Experience never fails to hit the spot though. I had it on in the car the other day and my son (7) was loving it, which made me chuckle. 

Come to think of it, looking at the tracklisting, I think I have heard IMD a few times but I can't remember much about it. 

Just now, TK421 said:

Experience was excellent and still sounds fresh.  I lost interest after that.

It's about as fresh as Hitler's corpse. 

It was an excellent album in it's day but definitely of it's time. From AONO onwards it got formulaic and stale. Jilted and FOTL are their best albums. Classics. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It's about as fresh as Hitler's corpse. 

It was an excellent album in it's day but definitely of it's time. From AONO onwards it got formulaic and stale. Jilted and FOTL are their best albums. Classics. 

It still sounds fresh to me.  I don't think the rest of their catalogue has aged as well.

• Upvote 1