You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Watford 0 (Feb 27 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

How good was that? Best performance in months. I have no idea how it was ‘only’ 5-0 because it felt as though it should have been double. It might be our best performance of the entire season all things considered. From one to eleven everybody was excellent.

We’ve been misfiring for much of 2019 but this was the lads back at their very best. Every single one of them played well, with no-one less than an eight out of ten. When you get that, you won’t go far wrong.

The mad thing is we scored five goals and Salah didn’t get any, despite the fact that he tore that poor Watford left back to shreds all night. Javi Gracia seems like a nice guy but he’s clearly got a sadistic side as leaving that lad out there to be savaged by Mo was fucking cruel.

Maybe Gracia thought that Salah would be playing centrally? I know I did. With Bobby not available I assumed Shaqiri would get the start on the right, and even when I saw the line up I never guessed who’d be the number nine.

Worked out pretty well though didn’t it? Makes you wonder why we’ve never seen it before, because Sadio was absolutely terrific and looked right at home in that role. 

He was a constant goal threat but his ability to drop off and pick up the ball and keep it was also a feature all night. Basically he just did what Bobby does. It’s only one game and therefore not much of a sample size, but this is all I need to know that any time Firmino isn’t available I’d rather Sadio played in the middle than Mo.

Of course that leaves a vacancy on the left, and in this game it was filled - and filled well, perhaps surprisingly - by Origi. Seeing how this all unfolded just compounds the feeling that sending Sturridge on at Old Trafford was madness. I won’t harp on about it as that game is done and dusted now, but the only situations that we should ever see Sturridge again are when we’re a few goals up and want to let the frontmen have an early dart. 

Origi has proved in the limited chances he’s had that he can make a contribution. The drop off to him from the first choice lads is still big, but if Origi is playing with confidence we all know what he can do because we’ve seen it, albeit only in brief spells. I actually came out of this game wondering if maybe, just maybe, he can provide the 'Ronny Rosenthal spark' that got us over the line the last time we won this thing. Crazy, I know.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic