You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This momo stuff

Bjornebye

Even if it is a hoax, it's possibly done some good. It's raised an important point about what kids can potentially be exposed to without our knowledge. 

I've got a 4 year old who is a fiend on his tablet, flying round the screen watching videos and downloading/playing games. He's always sat on my knee or next to me when he's on it like, partly so I can keep an eye on him but also so there's interaction between us while he's on it, I try to make a rule of reading a book with me or something before he's allowed on it too. Can't be doing with parents that just stick them in front of a screen to shut them up. 

Unfortunately he doesn't live with me, so I can only hope his mum does a similar sort of thing while he's at hers. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Aventus said:

Even if it is a hoax, it's possibly done some good. It's raised an important point about what kids can potentially be exposed to without our knowledge. 

I've got a 4 year old who is a fiend on his tablet, flying round the screen watching videos and downloading/playing games. He's always sat on my knee or next to me when he's on it like, partly so I can keep an eye on him but also so there's interaction between us while he's on it, I try to make a rule of reading a book with me or something before he's allowed on it too. Can't be doing with parents that just stick them in front of a screen to shut them up. 

Unfortunately he doesn't live with me, so I can only hope his mum does a similar sort of thing while he's at hers. 

I’ve recently stopped my five year old watching YouTube. I’d like to say it was because of fear of her seeing stuff she shouldn’t but the truth is it was just turning her into a little shit. She’s always been good as gold but had started to develop a bit of an attitude problem, particularly when I was asking her to put it down or switch it off. I told her she wasn’t allowed to watch YouTube videos anymore and almost overnight she morphed back into my little princess. 

The only things she uses the tablet for now  are her Mathletics and to watch CBBC on Saturday/Sunday mornings when she inevitably wakes up an hour or two before anyone else. 

The YouTube ban is here to stay. All she ever watched on there was other people playing games or opening toys anyway but the change in her is noticeable. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

All she ever watched on there was other people playing games or opening toys anyway but the change in her is noticeable. 

Parental neglect at large there. 

Buy her more toys you fucking nobsponge.

• Upvote 1

Picked up my daughter yesterday from school, first thing she says to me is "Do you know about Momo"

All the kids in her class/year talking about it it seems. She was wanting me to show her a photo, I think some of the kids have phones already and seen the pictures and she was feeling left out. But I said no because I don't think it needs perpetuating.

As for Yotube, some crazy shit for kids on there, I don't let mine on it unless it is me showing them something

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve recently stopped my five year old watching YouTube. I’d like to say it was because of fear of her seeing stuff she shouldn’t but the truth is it was just turning her into a little shit. She’s always been good as gold but had started to develop a bit of an attitude problem, particularly when I was asking her to put it down or switch it off. I told her she wasn’t allowed to watch YouTube videos anymore and almost overnight she morphed back into my little princess. 

The only things she uses the tablet for now  are her Mathletics and to watch CBBC on Saturday/Sunday mornings when she inevitably wakes up an hour or two before anyone else. 

The YouTube ban is here to stay. All she ever watched on there was other people playing games or opening toys anyway but the change in her is noticeable. 

Almost all Youtube is now is people trying to make loads of money by taking advantage of kid's' impressionable young brains by producing garbage content that is quote unquote "for kids" and getting them hooked on it.

Definitely the correct move on your part. There is virtually nothing on Youtube that will make her a better person or learn anything.