You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This momo stuff

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

That picture has been doing the rounds online for ages. Funnily enough my missus mentioned it to me today. It's similar to the whale game thing encouraging kids to hurt themselves or others. 

Couldn't think for the life of me what the previous one was. 

The fucking blue whale game! 

I asked our two about it when they got in from school. The eldest hadn't heard of it, the youngest had and didn't know what the fuss was about, saying, 'you'd have to be braindead to do anything stupid'. I guess they're a bit older than the kids who might be influenced by it- they're 13 and 17- but it's a real shame. I could have got them to do all sorts of dumb stuff.

I don't mind the sculpture, it's weird but well done.  Like Salad Fingers crossed with Sadako from Ringu and an Ito design.

In fact, some of Ito's artwork is way more disturbing.  The song's a simple horror idea, it's pretty clearly still a bit in that video.  The fact someone is potentially at the other end quite specifically using the premise to manipulate the other user (or steal their data as is more likely) is the real issue.  That and people cutting it into video targeted at infants can fuck right off.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I don't mind the sculpture, it's weird but well done.  Like Salad Fingers crossed with Sadako from Ringu and an Ito design.

In fact, some of Ito's artwork is way more disturbing.  The song's a simple horror idea, it's pretty clearly still a bit in that video.  The fact someone is potentially at the other end quite specifically using the premise to manipulate the other user (or steal their data as is more likely) is the real issue.  That and people cutting it into video targeted at infants can fuck right off.

Exactly Pidge. 

I know we have both been through the terror of seeing Turdseye in the flesh but this is pushing it. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Juniper said:

I see what you’re saying Champ.

My point’s more about an ever increasing  amount of very young kids using tablets/mobile devices. See it often in town/people on journeys....etc

Often see kids sat in pushchairs holding them!

Not to mention kids having access at home/on TVs to YouTube...etc where they can see anything without much control. 

Hopefully this news is a wake up call for those parents that need it. 

Yeah, I don’t like seeing it either. Like all of these things I can see they have a role in keeping a child occupied for short periods because no-one can be interacting with their child all the time but I do wonder about the impact of a child’s attention being focussed in that very directed way rather their minds and eyes being allowed to explore the wider world around them.

And there’s the other situation where parents are so occupied on their own devices that young kids are missing out on the attention and interaction they need for the development of language and other cognitive skills.

And I do wonder what difference it would have made to the way I was with my kids when they were little 

28 minutes ago, Champ said:

Yeah, I don’t like seeing it either. Like all of these things I can see they have a role in keeping a child occupied for short periods because no-one can be interacting with their child all the time but I do wonder about the impact of a child’s attention being focussed in that very directed way rather their minds and eyes being allowed to explore the wider world around them.

And there’s the other situation where parents are so occupied on their own devices that young kids are missing out on the attention and interaction they need for the development of language and other cognitive skills.

And I do wonder what difference it would have made to the way I was with my kids when they were little 

tl;dr

32 minutes ago, Champ said:

Agree with all of this. Devices are great for past bedtime meals or to kill some time on a long car journey. We generally use it as a last resort once when we're out once the colouring in and toys she's brought have lost their appeal. 

However, everything she watches we monitor and know the content of. It's downloaded from Netflix or Amazon, or off the official cbeebies site. I would NEVER let her on YouTube for it to cycle from video to video. 

This Momo thing is deeply unpleasant but it wouldn't be an issue if people were laying attention to what their kids were watching. 

On a lighter note on the last day of my 1st Uni placement I did a debate on the best superhero the children, aged 7-11 had to use the internet to research their hero for reasons why they were the best. One found a video "20 facts about Spiderman" on youtube and asked if she could watch it. This was some of her research. I had to ask her not to put the second point in her supporting poster. 

The point is that if you let children have unregulated access to YouTube you're asking for trouble 

IMG_20190208_102548_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Agree with all of this. Devices are great for past bedtime meals or to kill some time on a long car journey. We generally use it as a last resort once when we're out once the colouring in and toys she's brought have lost their appeal. 

However, everything she watches we monitor and know the content of. It's downloaded from Netflix or Amazon, or off the official cbeebies site. I would NEVER let her on YouTube for it to cycle from video to video. 

This Momo thing is deeply unpleasant but it wouldn't be an issue if people were laying attention to what their kids were watching. 

On a lighter note on the last day of my 1st Uni placement I did a debate on the best superhero the children, aged 7-11 had to use the internet to research their hero for reasons why they were the best. One found a video "20 facts about Spiderman" on youtube and asked if she could watch it. This was some of her research. I had to ask her not to put the second point in her supporting poster. 

The point is that if you let children have unregulated access to YouTube you're asking for trouble 

IMG_20190208_102548_1.jpg

Is he or she an anti semite? See point 3.

Unsurprisingly, the clickbait cunts at the Mail have been whipping this up recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/28/viral-momo-challenge-is-a-malicious-hoax-say-charities

Viral 'Momo challenge' is a malicious hoax, say charities
Groups say no evidence yet of self-harm from craze, but resulting hysteria poses a risk

Jim Waterson Media editor

Thu 28 Feb 2019 06.00 GMT Last modified on Thu 28 Feb 2019 06.02 GMT

The Momo messages are said to come from a profile with this distorted image of a woman, but experts say the story is no more than a ‘moral panic’ among adults.

It is the most talked about viral scare story of the year so far, blamed for child suicides and violent attacks – but experts and charities have warned that the “Momo challenge” is nothing but a “moral panic” spread by adults.

Warnings about the supposed Momo challenge suggest that children are being encouraged to kill themselves or commit violent acts after receiving messages on messaging service WhatsApp from users with a profile picture of a distorted image of woman with bulging eyes.

News stories about the Momo challenge have also attracted hundreds of thousands of shares on Facebook in a 24-hour period, dominating the list of UK news stories ranked by number of interactions on the social network.

There have also been claims that the material has appeared in a video featuring Peppa Pig among YouTube’s content aimed at children.

But the Samaritans and the NSPCC have dismissed the claims, saying that while there is no evidence that the Momo challenge has initially caused any harm itself, the ensuing media hysteria could now be putting vulnerable people at risk by encouraging them to think of self-harm.

The UK Safer Internet Centre called the claims “fake news”. And YouTube said it had seen no evidence of videos showing or promoting the Momo challenge on its platform.

The NSPCC said there is no confirmed evidence that the phenomenon is actually posing a threat to British children and said they have received more phone calls about it from members of the media than concerned parents.

A Samaritans spokesperson was similarly sceptical, saying: “These stories being highly publicised and starting a panic means vulnerable people get to know about it and that creates a risk.” They recommended media outlets read their guidelines on reporting suicide and suggested press coverage is “raising the risk of harm”.

“Currently we’re not aware of any verified evidence in this country or beyond linking Momo to suicide,” said the Samaritans spokesperson. “What’s more important is parents and people who work with children concentrate on broad online safety guidelines.”

Child safety campaigners say the story has spread due to legitimate concerns about online child safety, the sharing of unverified material on local Facebook groups, and official comments from British police forces and schools which are based on little hard evidence.

While some concerned members of the public have rushed to share posts warning of the suicide risk, there are fears that they have exacerbated the situation by scaring children and spreading the images and the association with self-harm.

“Even though it’s done with best intentions, publicising this issue has only piqued curiosity among young people,” said Kat Tremlett, harmful content manager at the UK Safer Internet Centre.

The rumour mill appears to have created a feedback loop, where news coverage of the Momo challenge is prompting schools or the police to warn about the supposed risks posed by the Momo challenge, which has in turn produced more news stories warning about the challenge.

Tremlett said she was now hearing of children who are “white with worry” as a result of media coverage about a supposed threat that did not previously exist.

“It’s a myth that is perpetuated into being some kind of reality,” she said.

Although the Momo challenge has been circulating on social media and among schoolchildren in various forms since last year, the recent coverage appears to have started with a single warning posted by a mother on a Facebook group for residents of Westhoughton, a small Lancashire town on the edge of Bolton. This post, based on an anecdote she had heard from her son at school, went viral before being picked up by her local newspaper and then covered by outlets from around the world.

The supernatural “Momo” image, originally from an artwork made for a Japanese horror show exhibition, has been circulating on the internet for several years but last summer became attached to unverified claims that teenagers were being prompted to kill or harm themselves by messages on WhatsApp.

Many campaigners in the child safety sector have been reluctant to issue statements for fear of fanning the flames of the story but are changing direction after seeing the sheer number of dubious stories written to attract clicks on the issue.

Hundreds of separate articles have been written on the topic by British news websites in the last three days, dominating the most-read lists on tabloid news sites. These include explainers for concerned parents on how to protect children from the supposed risks of the challenge and claims about the acts that children are supposedly committing after seeing the images. Celebrities such as Stacey Solomon have weighed in and expressed their concerns, creating even more justifications for headlines.

Multiple police forces have issued formal warnings about the supposed risks of the Momo challenge, in addition to hundreds of schools. In one example, a Hull primary school posted on its Facebook page an unsourced claim that clips of the Momo challenge image are “hacking into children’s programmes”, with no evidence of what is meant by this claim.

A YouTube spokesperson said the claims were completely false: “Contrary to press reports, we have not received any evidence of videos showing or promoting the Momo challenge on YouTube. Content of this kind would be in violation of our policies and removed immediately.”

Several outlets, including the Mirror and many local newspapers, have also claimed that the Momo game has been linked to 130 teen suicides in Russia, with no supporting evidence.

An identical claim was made in 2017 about a similar supposed viral suicide craze called Blue Whale, which was also linked to exactly 130 teen suicides in Russia. This figures came from a much-criticised single report in the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, with later reporting suggesting that not a single death could be conclusively linked to the game.

“We almost need to stop talking about the issue for it to not be an issue any more,” said Tremlett.