You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers to Leicester

Ne Moe Imya

He deserves enormous credit for 13/14, Suarez was absolutely ridiculous that season but he had us playing some brilliant stuff, with a lot of tactical variety, we played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 diamond that year. His deployment of Sterling as a 10 was brilliant as was placing Gerrard deeper to hit Sturridge and Suarez. We couldn't defend for fuck but we were some side to watch, I'll always remember Brendan fondly. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

Celtic fans completely overestimating their place in the world of football in terms of being a draw is funny. Delusions of grandeur thinking any manager wouldn't leave them for a premier league job mid-season. 

Celtic are still a huge club, as are Ajax.

Both would need some kind of European Super League to increase their attractiveness to better players and bring them back to full relevance, though.

14 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Celtic are still a huge club, as are Ajax.

Both would need some kind of European Super League to increase their attractiveness to better players and bring them back to full relevance, though.

I like Celtic and think they're big but they've won one European trophy and that was in 1967. Ajax have won 4 of them as recently as 24 years ago and have still produced world class footballers. Don't think Celtic were ever at their standing in the game. 

4 hours ago, LFC 5 Times said:

He deserves enormous credit for 13/14, Suarez was absolutely ridiculous that season but he had us playing some brilliant stuff, with a lot of tactical variety, we played 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 diamond that year. His deployment of Sterling as a 10 was brilliant as was placing Gerrard deeper to hit Sturridge and Suarez. We couldn't defend for fuck but we were some side to watch, I'll always remember Brendan fondly. 

I always think of him as the man who cost us the title with his refusal to embrace even the most basic concept of defending

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, redheart said:

I always think of him as the man who cost us the title with his refusal to embrace even the most basic concept of defending

Nonsense.  We had a squad of 13 players, the best 7 of them were attackers. If he embraces defending more we could have conceded 15 goals less and finished 6th.

I don't rate Rodgers, I don't think he is any worse than half the managers in the league. I don't like him or dislike him either. He was giving a chance everyone one of us would have taken whether we were up to it or not and he made the most of it. Of course Suarez was key to it all but he deserves a lot of credit for getting the best from our best players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, RobbieOR said:

I like Celtic and think they're big but they've won one European trophy and that was in 1967. Ajax have won 4 of them as recently as 24 years ago and have still produced world class footballers. Don't think Celtic were ever at their standing in the game. 

The also narrowly lost a second European Cup in 1970 which many people forget about and were giving the top clubs in England a run for their money well into 1970s and 1980s. They are not an insignificant club even if their league now is.

• Upvote 1

Great attack minded manager ???? He had the best striker in the world in the form of his life in the team week in week out  Christ I could have managed that team. In the premiership era I would have rated Suarez ahead of Ronaldo then Henry that's how good he was for that period of time I remember a snapshot of a defender looking at the ball on his foot. His head was tilted to left his shoulder was tilted to right hips moving slightly left and foot pushing ball to right the man was mesmeric and could not be defended. We should have hacked up with the number of goals we scored. I am still bitter over the gallant failure which had duck all to do with Gerard. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Great attack minded manager ???? He had the best striker in the world in the form of his life in the team week in week out  Christ I could have managed that team. In the premiership era I would have rated Suarez ahead of Ronaldo then Henry that's how good he was for that period of time I remember a snapshot of a defender looking at the ball on his foot. His head was tilted to left his shoulder was tilted to right hips moving slightly left and foot pushing ball to right the man was mesmeric and could not be defended. We should have hacked up with the number of goals we scored. I am still bitter over the gallant failure which had duck all to do with Gerard. 

Suarez was struggling for goals in the PL until Brendan got into his head.  You could argue that Brendan made Suarez the player he is today.

And that duck had everything to do with Gerrard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Celtic are a great club but it says everything when a provincial club from a rugby city can snatch away their manager at the business end of the season.

If they played in England, they would be in the top four after five or six seasons. Unfortunately, they are stuck in the swirling vortex of irrelevance that is Scottish football and even childhood fans like myself can't muster up any enthusiasm for them anymore. 

"Go on the Celts, the Bhoys just beat Irn Bru Rovers to win their 24th title in a row."

*shrugs*

8 minutes ago, Em City said:

Celtic are a great club but it says everything when a provincial club from a rugby city can snatch away their manager at the business end of the season.

If they played in England, they would be in the top four after five or six seasons. Unfortunately, they are stuck in the swirling vortex of irrelevance that is Scottish football and even childhood fans like myself can't muster up any enthusiasm for them anymore. 

"Go on the Celts, the Bhoys just beat Irn Bru Rovers to win their 24th title in a row."

*shrugs*

They’d certainly be in the top 4 divisions.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Nonsense.  We had a squad of 13 players, the best 7 of them were attackers. If he embraces defending more we could have conceded 15 goals less and finished 6th.

I don't rate Rodgers, I don't think he is any worse than half the managers in the league. I don't like him or dislike him either. He was giving a chance everyone one of us would have taken whether we were up to it or not and he made the most of it. Of course Suarez was key to it all but he deserves a lot of credit for getting the best from our best players.

Made the most of it?   He won fuck all and assembled a costly squad that needed gutted.   That's without mentioning throwing a European game and some of the embarrassing results in our history. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

People can bang on about 13/14 all they want but he was ultimately a disaster.

The squad he left us with was shambolic and literally took Klopp years to rectify. I shudder to think where we would be now if Klopp hadn't come in.

We had no wingers, no width, no pace, about a dozen no 10s, only a couple of whom were any good. He came in allegedly wanting to play a possession based game. We ended his tenure with Firmino, whom he only bought as an obligation, on the bench and king of the donkeys Benteke upfront. If that's not the mark of a fraud, I don't know what is.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

He wasn't solely responsible for the squad.  The transfer committee as a whole was involved in making bad decisions.  Also the squad wasn't that bad, because Jurgen took it to the brink of winning a trophy in his first season, showing that the potential was there.  Jurgen was very complimentary about the players he inherited when he took over.  

There is too much resentment for Rodgers, he did his best and gave us a decent shot at the title.  He doesn't deserve the ridicule and Hodgson treatment, it makes us look small time and bitter like our neighbours. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

He wasn't solely responsible for the squad.  The transfer committee as a whole was involved in making bad decisions.  Also the squad wasn't that bad, because Jurgen took it to the brink of winning a trophy in his first season, showing that the potential was there.  Jurgen was very complimentary about the players he inherited when he took over.  

There is too much resentment for Rodgers, he did his best and gave us a decent shot at the title.  He doesn't deserve the ridicule and Hodgson treatment, it makes us look small time and bitter like our neighbours. 

That's fair, 2013/14 was outstanding even if it felt and was completely unsustainable. He's a decent attacking coach, clueless defensively and questionable in the transfer market, his own picks weren't great as opposed to the transfer committees not being great either at times. Ultimately it seems unfair to not credit him with 2013/14 whilst blaming him for the following season and a bit.

His attitude grates with most, incredible arrogance way beyond his ability.

• Upvote 1

I firmly believe he didn't have a clue, and virtually every decision that worked out was through sheer luck or the individual quality of the player shining through. Sterling was good as a number 10 because he's a class player. Gerrard succeeded as a DM because it's motherfucking Steven Gerrard. Suarez worked anywhere because he was a genius. Likewise Coutinho as an 8.

The man sold Kuyt for £800,000 to bring in Fabio Borini. He sold Suso for £1m and paid £15m for Joe Allen. He sold Luis Suarez and bought Ricky Lambert and Balotelli to replace him. He played Lazar Markovic at left back and Emre Can at centre back. He brought in Sahin and then played him off the striker. He was a fucking idiot. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I doubt he considered Celtic a stepping stone to Leicester. 

I mean he probably could have gone to Leicester or Southampton or any of the other mid table teams at any point in the last few years.

It's not like he needed to build his reputation in order to get a job in England. 

He either fancied getting himself a few medals for his mantlepiece first, or he is just following the paydays and Celtic gave him the best offer at the time, and now Leicester too have made him an offer he can't refuse. 

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

The man sold Kuyt for £800,000 to bring in Fabio Borini. He sold Suso for £1m and paid £15m for Joe Allen. He sold Luis Suarez and bought Ricky Lambert and Balotelli to replace him. He played Lazar Markovic at left back and Emre Can at centre back. He brought in Sahin and then played him off the striker. He was a fucking idiot. 

That was all down to the transfer comitee, Rodgers himself only signed Firmino, Milner, and Gomez. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I firmly believe he didn't have a clue, and virtually every decision that worked out was through sheer luck or the individual quality of the player shining through. Sterling was good as a number 10 because he's a class player. Gerrard succeeded as a DM because it's motherfucking Steven Gerrard. Suarez worked anywhere because he was a genius. Likewise Coutinho as an 8.

A contender for worst post of the century.

Rodgers lost it in the end, but taking away all credit from him for the mind-blowing attacking football and the title challenge is deluded and small-minded.

Those who seriously think that one player - however brilliant he is - can carry a team to a title challenge understands shit about football. Seriously.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, Judge said:

A contender for worst post of the century.

Rodgers lost it in the end, but taking away all credit from him for the mind-blowing attacking football and the title challenge is deluded and small-minded.

Those who seriously think that one player - however brilliant he is - can carry a team to a title challenge understands shit about football. Seriously.

I fundamentally agree with your point on Rodgers but your post is harsh. You really need to read more posts on here if you think Boss' was one of the worst.