You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers to Leicester

Ne Moe Imya

John PercyVerified account @JPercyTelegraph 11m11 minutes ago

Talks progressing between #lcfc and Celtic over a move to appoint Brendan Rodgers as manager now. Official approach was made on Monday

Despite my distaste for him personally, the Brodge is a decent manager and I think this is a good move for him. Leicester have been building an excellent young core of players and are well-positioned along with Wolves to be the "best-of-the-rest" after the big six for a few years. If he can keep his paws off the buying/selling of players and just stick to coaching and managing the teams he's given, he could do well there (for a couple of years, at least, which is all managerial tenures seem to last these days).

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

And if he doesn't write off players he's been given because they weren't his picks...

That will be the big test of how this is going to go IMO.

If he can show that he's learned something from how it all fell apart here and during his time at Celtic, then he has a chance to do really well there. If he's still the same ego-driven manager who will freeze a player out in the cold because he wasn't who he wanted, well, then Leicester are in for a rough couple of years.

I do think they have a pretty good squad, though. I could see Ndidi/Tielemans/Maddison becoming a really good midfield under Rodgers.

I think it's the right move for him, but I'm not sure it's necessary for him to take the job immediately. The club isn't in danger of relegation I don't think, as there are at least 3 teams a lot worse than them, and they aren't in contention for a European place. It would be better for them to install a caretaker manager to see out the rest of the season, and then refresh things in the summer. Leicester have the sort of players Rodgers could get a tune out of in an attacking sense, plus a blend of youth and experience in defence and midfield. There's no Europe to muddle things (and he always gets in a muddle when there's a midweek European fixture) either.

• Upvote 1

I hope he does well when he's not playing us.

Shows the Catch-22 Celtic are in though - completely blitz domestic competition, but can't attract (or won't pay) for the players required to make real inroads in the European Cup the following year, cue their manager leaving for a mid-table English side.  I guess the Ajax situation is a bit similar too, when you compare where they are now to before.

Walking away now and not in the summer is stupid. On-course for another treble and seeing off the Gerrard/r*ngers turnaround would be his greatest achievement in Football. 

That said, the Celtic board are and have been cunts for years. Tight as arse-holes. Didn't back him in the summer when the other lot were spending for fun and brought in a couple of loanees in January to 'appease' the supporters. 

Shame O'Neil has taken the Forest job because he would have been a better pick than Lennon. 

Gutted.