You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That bad Bute

Paulie Dangerously

1 hour ago, Champ said:

There’s got to be a story in his background. Behaviour like that does not come from nowhere

I think it can, that's what's so spooky about it.

I read once that personality disorders are the only thing a doctor isn't obliged to treat. It's not the same as a mental illness because there's not technically anything wrong with them, they're just wired differently. 

The SAS are profiled for being borderline psychotic. They have smaller fear centres in their brains. That's why you'll see the likes of bear grylls jumping into a puddle from 500 metres up, they're just not arsed. They look at me and you the way me and you would look at a piece of wood, and they'd have as much feeling about setting us on fire as we would with the wood. We're objects to them, not people. 

Psychopaths flourish in business because they have inflated egos and don't make decisions that benefit other people. Trump is clearly one. If Trump could press a button that would destroy the planet but give him an extra 20 quid he clearly would.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think it can, that's what's so spooky about it.

I read once that personality disorders are the only thing a doctor isn't obliged to treat. It's not the same as a mental illness because there's not technically anything wrong with them, they're just wired differently. 

The SAS are profiled for being borderline psychotic. They have smaller fear centres in their brains. That's why you'll see the likes of bear grylls jumping into a puddle from 500 metres up, they're just not arsed. They look at me and you the way me and you would look at a piece of wood, and they'd have as much feeling about setting us on fire as we would with the wood. We're objects to them, not people. 

Psychopaths flourish in business because they have inflated egos and don't make decisions that benefit other people. Trump is clearly one. If Trump could press a button that would destroy the planet but give him an extra 20 quid he clearly would.

There will usually be an explanation for the character traits you describe in a person’s upbringing. The terms themselves are to some extent open to interpretation and individuals will sit at different points on a continuum. Although psychosis is a discreet disorder and describes delusional thoughts and ideas including sensory hallucinations.

Personality disorders are problematic to doctors because, as you say, they are not illnesses in the way that schizophrenia is, in that it is not amenable to drug treatment.

I don’t know the law in the rest of the UK but prior to the new Mental Health (Scotland) Act in 2007 there was no obligation for doctors to treat personality disorder but that was changed by the introduction of that Act which recognised that treatment as a wider concept than the prescribing of drugs.

It is generally recognised that most, if not all people, diagnosed with personality disorder will have experienced severe trauma, very often abuse, in their childhood

17 hours ago, Champ said:

There will usually be an explanation for the character traits you describe in a person’s upbringing. The terms themselves are to some extent open to interpretation and individuals will sit at different points on a continuum. Although psychosis is a discreet disorder and describes delusional thoughts and ideas including sensory hallucinations.

Personality disorders are problematic to doctors because, as you say, they are not illnesses in the way that schizophrenia is, in that it is not amenable to drug treatment.

I don’t know the law in the rest of the UK but prior to the new Mental Health (Scotland) Act in 2007 there was no obligation for doctors to treat personality disorder but that was changed by the introduction of that Act which recognised that treatment as a wider concept than the prescribing of drugs.

It is generally recognised that most, if not all people, diagnosed with personality disorder will have experienced severe trauma, very often abuse, in their childhood

Lots of research now showing that the formation of the brain itself is different in people with personality disorders. This can be due to damage in the womb, under-development of the empathic centres due to neglect or head injury/disease. 

On Section’s point about Special

Forces, the soldiers themselves don’t talk about having no fear; they rather talk about being able to switch emotions on and off. Less so fear and more compassion and empathy. The training and “brotherhood” is what addresses the fear. The emotional flexibility comes in handy when switching between killing someone and doing “hearts and minds” work with people. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Lots of research now showing that the formation of the brain itself is different in people with personality disorders. This can be due to damage in the womb, under-development of the empathic centres due to neglect or head injury/disease. 

Forces, the soldiers themselves don’t talk about having no fear; they rather talk about being able to switch emotions on and off. Less so fear and more compassion and empathy. The training and “brotherhood” is what addresses the fear. The emotional flexibility comes in handy when switching between killing someone and doing “hearts and minds” work with people. 

Good post.

I saw an interview once where they asked what recruiters looked for in an SAS candidate, and he said 'a discernable antipathy to the suffering of others'. 

Even if you read an Andy McNabb book (which I don't recommend stylistically) the everyday ease with which he talks about 'slotting' people is quite noticeable. He talks about it the way you'd talk about opening a new pack of pens.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Neuroscience and what research is beginning to show us about the impact of environment on brain development is absolutely fascinating 

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

If I was in the Special Forces I would be shit.

I'd be like "Fook off!! I either climb the cliff or I fight Germans. I'm not doing both!!"

Whenever I watch a Bond film I always think I just couldn't be arsed.

'Bond, we need you to...'

'No.'

On 2/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, Section_31 said:

Whenever I watch a Bond film I always think I just couldn't be arsed.

'Bond, we need you to...'

'No.'

You always get the impression Bond enjoys it, though. Look what happened when he 'retired' in Skyfall. He turned into a smelly alcoholic on an Turkish beach, doing tricks with scorpions for his next drink.

39 minutes ago, Anubis said:

You always get the impression Bond enjoys it, though. Look what happened when he 'retired' in Skyfall. He turned into a smelly alcoholic on an Turkish beach, doing tricks with scorpions for his next drink.

We've all been there, it was Towyn for me though.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the night of the killing, Campbell was said to have entered Alesha's bedroom drunk and looking for cannabis. The killer told a doctor afterwards: "If I was a year younger I don't think i would have done it." 

He said: "All I thought about was killing her once I saw her."

According to the doctor's reports he was "mildly amused" that he had not been arrested after the killing.

He was deemed to be suffering from no mental health disorder and completely lacking in empathy.

Chilling little worm.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:20, Anubis said:

He turns into Archer?