You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) Sun 24/2/19

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

Srurridge is really just a last throw of the dice player who you think might stick on in the last 10 minutes of a game because he can occasionally score a goal out of nothing , unlike anyone else in the squad. Over 60 minutes, I'd take Origi every time despite his obvious limitations. 

To be fair, broken and shite though I  think he is, I wouldn't have been in the least bit surprised if he'd scored a screamer and won us the match. The skills are there just not the soul. 

34 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

I think that Chelsea goal was a fluke.

Origi's against Everton was a fluke, someone who has a track record of scoring goals in crucial moments isn't a fluke. His legs just don't work anymore, it's why he drops deep and wins free kicks instead of trying to beat players.

15 hours ago, Hades said:

We've got to be realistic. If Klopp goes through the season with only 1 defeat to the eventual champions, he'll have overachieved even if we finished 3rd behind Spurs. He's brought our honour back, made us nearly impossible to beat and withstood the loss of our talisman for the last few seasons. It's not his fault that fans have got carried away on the back of a good start. 

I would have agreed with this, but rightly or wrongly, expectations changed when we were 7 points up at the top after boxing day.  

1 hour ago, Ben Sherman said:

I think that Chelsea goal was a fluke.

Not having that, he had a similar shot Vs Chelsea the week before in the Carabao Cup which hit the crossbar.

He obviously adjusted his aim slightly for the one in the league, and it flew in. 

His problem is he needs time and space to make that shit happen, which isn't always going to be afforded to him by opposition defenders, and he doesn't have it in him to create the space himself. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I would have agreed with this, but rightly or wrongly, expectations changed when we were 7 points up at the top after boxing day.  

I'ts not just being 7 points clear at that stage it was also our best ever start to a league campaign in our history. 

1 hour ago, RobbieOR said:

Origi's against Everton was a fluke, someone who has a track record of scoring goals in crucial moments isn't a fluke. His legs just don't work anymore, it's why he drops deep and wins free kicks instead of trying to beat players.

I'd much prefer Sturridge to come on for the last 15 if we need a goal, like I said, but Origi offers a bit of more over a longer period, which is why the subs should have been the other way round, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, magicrat said:

Shaquiri and Sturridge arguably did worse when they came on. Poor as our front three were and hard as it might be to accept Utd defended well ( Smalling in particular was very good ) and De Gea had fuck all to do all afternoon.  If not for Allison we would have lost that game. All said and done we got a point which many of us would have taken before the game.

Reluctantly I agree with your assessment except to say its a bit unfair to bracket Shaqiri with Sturridge given his lack of time on the pitch. Shaqiri has also shown lots of potential when given a few starts.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Reluctantly I agree with your assessment except to say its a bit unfair to bracket Shaqiri with Sturridge given his lack of time on the pitch. Shaqiri has also shown lots of potential when given a few starts.

I was only referring to yesterday's game and not writing off Shaquiri.

Sturridge is well past his sell by date no question.

One none, football related thing between Liverpool and Manchester, is the amount investment that is going on in that city compared to Liverpool, is sickening. I'm not talking about some poxy bars and few resteraunts, I mean heavy investment in infrastructure and the network, is sickening to the core.

Liverpool and the surrounding area builds one new train station on Merseyrail in 30 years and they continually lay mile and miles of tram lines, connecting the length and breadth of that fucking dump, and Liverpool and Merseyside gets Formby fucking North, as a new station. And they say the managed decline of Liverpool was stopped by Heseltine. Naaah, a city on the never-never more like. 

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

Not having that, he had a similar shot Vs Chelsea the week before in the Carabao Cup which hit the crossbar.

He obviously adjusted his aim slightly for the one in the league, and it flew in. 

His problem is he needs time and space to make that shit happen, which isn't always going to be afforded to him by opposition defenders, and he doesn't have it in him to create the space himself. 

If what Sturridge offers now, not being able to run, was enough, players like Fowler, Shearer, Batistuta, Van Persie etc could play at top level well into their fifties. 

30 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

One none, football related thing between Liverpool and Manchester, is the amount investment that is going on in that city compared to Liverpool, is sickening. I'm not talking about some poxy bars and few resteraunts, I mean heavy investment in infrastructure and the network, is sickening to the core.

Liverpool and the surrounding area builds one new train station on Merseyrail in 30 years and they continually lay mile and miles of tram lines, connecting the length and breadth of that fucking dump, and Liverpool and Merseyside gets Formby fucking North, as a new station. And they say the managed decline of Liverpool was stopped by Heseltine. Naaah, a city on the never-never more like. 

They've got Andy Burnham. We've got this greedy bastard ....

27C2656700000578-3046491-image-m-3_14295

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Manchester has had a joined-up, welcoming, organised approach to attracting investment and development for the last 20 years or so. Liverpool not so much.  

Goes back even further, to the 80s. They had a council who wanted to attract employers and create jobs above all else. We had Derek Hatton.

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

Goes back even further, to the 80s. They had a council who wanted to attract employers and create jobs above all else. We had Derek Hatton.

Don't want to get too political on the FF but yes. Manchester had a chief exec who understood business and wanted to attract it and if a developer could convince him that the city would benefit from a development then he had sufficient support to make it happen.