You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Footy and TV

an tha

I know someone posted parts 1 and 2 of the links below in the shitness of modern footy thread - but I think they are such good articles and resonate so strongly in relation to what is wrong with the game that they and the now published final part deserve a thread of own.

Really is IMO a brilliant read and really resonates, poses the questions that need asking and offers what I think is a very reasoned 'solution'.

The game we love has been hijacked and repackaged into the ugly thing it is today - this series digs into it all in the best way I have read.

Part 1:

https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-part-one

Part 2:

https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-part-two

Part 3:

https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-the-blueprint

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It's a tad ironic that the article has been published on a site that relies on ad revenue.

And finishes on this note...

John Nicholson, who will soon need your help in crowdfunding his book ‘Can We Have Our Football Back? – Why and How We Must Break The Premier League’ which discusses these issues in much more detail, with more jokes, dirty stuff and doubtless with reference to Rush lyrics.

Interesting read that.

I'm nearly 39, been supporting Liverpool since I was 6 or 7, I was 12 when Sky invented football. Before the age of 12 I'd say I'd seen Liverpool live on the telly less than 10 times, I had BBC, ITV and RTE ( in Ireland). The only league games I can remember were title deciders (Arsenal and QPR). I also recall watching us in the FA cup against Wimbledon, Forest, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Everton. 

While I agree with a lot in the articles lets not pretend everything was rosey. Its not like Sky took something away, it was never there to begin with. 

34 minutes ago, No2 said:

Interesting read that.

I'm nearly 39, been supporting Liverpool since I was 6 or 7, I was 12 when Sky invented football. Before the age of 12 I'd say I'd seen Liverpool live on the telly less than 10 times, I had BBC, ITV and RTE ( in Ireland). The only league games I can remember were title deciders (Arsenal and QPR). I also recall watching us in the FA cup against Wimbledon, Forest, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Everton. 

While I agree with a lot in the articles lets not pretend everything was rosey. Its not like Sky took something away, it was never there to begin with. 

A year or so younger, but similar background. We couldn't afford SKY when it came out, so would get occasional games at a mates house if it was a biggie, but that was that. We went & watched Irish League football every Saturday, so Five Live was more important in picking up what was going on. Transistor radio at the games, in the car and even in the house on the evenings something was on.  

European Cup games and FA Cup games were the extent of TV football, perhaps occasional Interntional Matches. 

Funny enough, was watching an Irish League game with my Da at the weekend and we were talking about football on TV & how, basically, neither of us could be bothered watching much of it (though he admitted to watching some of the Dundalk game on TV the night before!) any more. He raised a comparison with Snooker in the 70's/80's which was hugely popular so ended up with a tournament every weekend, TV every weekend, and ended up saturating itself to the point of near obscurity. 

Maybe a bit of it is growing up - I'd have watched anything on TV with the mention of sport in it (Tennis, Rugby, Snooker, Darts (is Darts a sport?), motorsports, that mad thing on Channel Four each saturday with wacky sports from around the world... now, I go to the occasional Irish League match (would like to go to more to be honest) & watch Liverpool games on TV. Wouldn't bother to watch a Man City game even this season when they're the main challengers. I haven't watched any sport outside of football on the box probably since the 2012 Olympics. 

I have no doubt the bubble will burst, and probably soon. I'll probably quite enjoy watching it in a perverse way, but quite a bit of that writing is odd, fantasy stuff, which has probably been said a million times down the pub in the last ten years. 

Live footy was starting to be seen a fair bit more on tv just before sky took it away ... from about 90-92 (largely fuelled by Ingerlunds world cup run IMO) it was definitely on the way up, hence their swoop.

For example i remember us beating the mancs 2-0 at Anfield and it meant Leeds won league in 92 - there was a game on ITV pretty much every week then.

I don't think it is beyond the realms of reality to think that could have grown to maybe two games a week across free to air tv.

Decent summary of timelines of it all happening here:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/feb/25/broadcasting3

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Live footy was starting to be seen a fair bit more on tv just before sky took it away ... from about 90-92 (largely fuelled by Ingerlunds world cup run IMO) it was definitely on the way up, hence their swoop.

For example i remember us beating the mancs 2-0 at Anfield and it meant Leeds won league in 92 - there was a game on ITV pretty much every week then.

I don't think it is beyond the realms of reality to think that could have grown to maybe two games a week across free to air tv.

Decent summary of timelines of it all happening here:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/feb/25/broadcasting3

There was a good documentary about the forming of the Premier League a few years ago - it might be on You Tube.

28 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

A year or so younger, but similar background. We couldn't afford SKY when it came out, so would get occasional games at a mates house if it was a biggie, but that was that. We went & watched Irish League football every Saturday, so Five Live was more important in picking up what was going on. Transistor radio at the games, in the car and even in the house on the evenings something was on.  

European Cup games and FA Cup games were the extent of TV football, perhaps occasional Interntional Matches. 

Funny enough, was watching an Irish League game with my Da at the weekend and we were talking about football on TV & how, basically, neither of us could be bothered watching much of it (though he admitted to watching some of the Dundalk game on TV the night before!) any more. He raised a comparison with Snooker in the 70's/80's which was hugely popular so ended up with a tournament every weekend, TV every weekend, and ended up saturating itself to the point of near obscurity. 

Maybe a bit of it is growing up - I'd have watched anything on TV with the mention of sport in it (Tennis, Rugby, Snooker, Darts (is Darts a sport?), motorsports, that mad thing on Channel Four each saturday with wacky sports from around the world... now, I go to the occasional Irish League match (would like to go to more to be honest) & watch Liverpool games on TV. Wouldn't bother to watch a Man City game even this season when they're the main challengers. I haven't watched any sport outside of football on the box probably since the 2012 Olympics. 

I have no doubt the bubble will burst, and probably soon. I'll probably quite enjoy watching it in a perverse way, but quite a bit of that writing is odd, fantasy stuff, which has probably been said a million times down the pub in the last ten years. 

I'm very similar to you, used to watch anything and everything. Now I couldn't be bothered watching anything non Liverpool related. I will only watch other football if the house is empty, wouldn't bother arguing over the telly or watching it in a differ room.

Back on to the point of the article, I don't think I can pin point when or why I stopped watching other games. It's certainly not all Sky's fault. Chelsea and City have played as big part in wage inflation as sky or bt have and to be honest a player earning 50k or 250k is all the same to me.

Replays are currently wrecking the coverage of games on TV. Directors now think we need multiple replays for any and every incident, no matter how banal or obvious it is. And when a keeper can throw the ball out and his side can reach the other end of the pitch in about eight or even fewer seconds, if you show a replay after a save you'll miss the entire counter-attack. Only directors seem to be oblivious about this. Yesterday, for example, Alisson made a save and immediately they showed a replay of it. And when they finally cut back to the action, we had a throw-in right by their corner flag. It's moronic direction. The half-time break ought to be where many of the replays happen, not while there's action on the pitch.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Hes a really good football journo this fella. Nail on head again.

He really is - enjoying his stuff.

Problem is there is a whole generation who have grown up now knowing no different to the shite that the game has become and even worse who don't care that TV is ruining things/don't care that players earn millions a year.

Our game away at Southampton being moved to a Friday night for example when nobody can get back at a decent hour/if at all....have to have a day off work to go etc.....as long as they can stand in pub and watch it, or watch at home they don't care.

His voice is one that sadly won't resonate with the sky generation