You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Feb 9-15 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Feb 2:

L 3 Bournemouth 0. Yes! There you go. The Reds are back. 4-3-3, Bobby and Mo back where they should be and just like that we’re back to the 17/18 team that scared the shit out of everybody. Results wise we’ve been incredible this season, but the performances have generally taken a bit of a dip. If we’re going to stay ahead of City then we need the fire and brimstone, tear your a new arsehole attacking football from last season.

This performance was a big step on the road to where we need to be. The opposition has to be taken into account, as Bournemouth aren’t the most difficult side to play football against, but on this form anybody would struggle to deal with us. The front three were dazzling, the full backs were great and the midfield was probably as good as we’ve seen it all season. This was Naby’s best game, Fabinho was terrific and Wijnaldum was the best player on the park.

Gini actually had the wildshites in the build up to the game and said he was worried he might shit his shorts during the game. Imagine being able to play as well as that under those circumstances. I won’t even leave the house when I’ve got the shits. When he plays with this freedom to get forward and make runs he’s a brilliant player. His problem is because he’s so good at everything and can adapt his game to do whatever Klopp needs him to, sometimes we don’t see him making those runs.

I want to see him given license to do that every game because when we have midfielders breaking beyond the forwards (Ox does this brilliantly and we’ve missed him) it gives us an added dimension and makes the front three even more difficult to handle. If we play like this at Old Trafford then I’ve been worrying over nothing.

Sunday Feb 10:

Mo has shaved off his beard. Not sure I’m a fan of this as I tend to not like change, and I’m also superstitious. Why risk it now, with so much at stake? I don’t want him turning into ‘Chelsea Mo’ and never scoring any goals. The pictures did make me laugh, as although he’s clean shaven he’s still got a 5 o’clock shadow. Like when Homer gets a shave and within a second or two it grows back. 

salahshave.jpg

That was the only thing that made me smile today, as Spurs won again and those Chelsea losers let in six at Man City. How the fuck does one of the big teams let in six goals when they have all eleven players on the field? It shouldn’t happen. Ever. It’s Arsenal behaviour that. Chelsea started the season well and Sarri’s methods were being lauded. Seemingly all it took was for opposing teams to stick someone on Jorginho and stop him getting on the ball, and the whole thing fell apart.

Doesn’t take much for that squad of players to become disillusioned with a manager’s tactics though does it? And when it happens, they just stop playing. That was a disgrace today and it’s not all Sarri’s fault. He’ll be the one to carry the can though, and those players will all live to kill off another manager in the next year or two.

I just hope Reds don’t get disheartened by this result today. Other than goal difference, it doesn’t matter if they won 1-0 or 6-0 as its three points either way. Psychologically it might have an impact as it fuels the whole “oh look how scary Man City are” narrative. To me it changes nothing though. This doesn’t make them any better or worse than we thought. They’re the same team that lost to Newcastle two weeks ago.

It says a lot more about Chelsea than it does City. I don’t feel any differently about our title chances today than I did yesterday. City will win most of their games, we knew this. Hopefully they slip up once or twice and then the rest is up to us.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

This is simple really. The reason our wage bill is higher is because our wages go through the books.

In Liverpool's accounts, all the wages and salaries go through the books so the headline figures you hear and read about are the actual figures. In City's case, they are divided up by City's owners so that part of it goes through the books of the club itself, and the rest goes through the ownership group. And I don't mean the salaries of admin staff etc, but the actual wages paid to players and coaching staff. We already know how Roberto Mancini's contract was broken down this way, by listing a hefty amount as a 'consultation fee' on the ownership group's accounts. The accounts of the ownership group are irrelevant to matters concerning FFP. There is no question that City players and coaching staff take home quite a bit more than their Liverpool equivalents.

There's as much chance of him playing for us as there is of the other loan ranger, Taiwo Adeyemi, ever coming back and forcing his way in.

Taiwo Awoniyi. You might be thinking of Tom Adeyemi, the Oldham player who had a meltdown at Anfield because he thought someone in the crowd had hurled racist abuse at him. This was only about a month after the Suarez-Evra bullshit.

14 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

If they won 5-1 then they'll win the tie outright, not on away goals.

Pedants 2 Usher 1

Who said anything about away goals?

Site owner with editing capability 2 Members with no such editing capability 0

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

Taiwo Awoniyi. You might be thinking of Tom Adeyemi, the Oldham player who had a meltdown at Anfield because he thought someone in the crowd had hurled racist abuse at him. This was only about a month after the Suarez-Evra bullshit.

I knew his name was Taiwo and that his surname began with an A. I googled him and that name came up and seemed familiar, so I thought it was him.

The initial point stands, neither of them will ever play for us.

• Upvote 4

• dave u unpinned this topic