You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Savoury Pie Poll

Tony Moanero

Savoury Pie Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite hot, savoury pie?

• Meat & Potato
    • Steak
    • Steak & Ale
    • Steak & Kidney
    • Minced Beef & Onion
    • Chicken Balti
    • Chicken & Gravy
    • Chicken, Ham & Leek
    • Chicken & Mushroom
    • Cheese & Onion
    • Potato, Leek & Cheese
    • Other (Please state)

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

You'll be telling us your steak well done and have it with ketchup too. 

Do you have a bad hair piece and a orange complexion 

Haha, the pie is basically ground meat inside a crust. It's a "special occasions" meal but it's not meant to be fancy. Ketchup is an acceptable condiment to put on it, unlike with steak.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Haha, the pie is basically ground meat inside a crust. It's a "special occasions" meal but it's not meant to be fancy. Ketchup is an acceptable condiment to put on it, unlike with steak.

Change to brown sauce

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

No beef? I’d struggle without it. What’s the reason Arthur? Other than being a meff that is.

chicken and pork based pies are good but for me nothing beats a beef pie with lots of gravy.

Chicken balti is just feels wrong in a pie. Curry is great, Pie is great but I don’t need a fusion. What’s next Kung Pao Chicken Pie?

I saw people’s Brain melting with CJD on the telly, decided there was no chance I wanted any of that. Not touched the stuff since. 

6 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Bay of Islands rep. I love it up there, beautiful part of the country. Did your cruise take you via Napier? We get a lot of the big cruise ships visiting the bay. 

The cruise did go on to the likes of Wellington , Napier & Tauranga I believe , but we got off at Auckland and flew to Sydney from there. Me and the wife loved Bay Of Islands and we are hatching a plan to do a fly-drive of North Island over the next few years.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The cruise did go on to the likes of Wellington , Napier & Tauranga I believe , but we got off at Auckland and flew to Sydney from there. Me and the wife loved Bay Of Islands and we are hatching a plan to do a fly-drive of North Island over the next few years.

Good stuff. Let me know if you need any advice or info that you can't find online and I'll see what I can do to help.

• Upvote 1

On 17/02/2019 at 07:49, Evelyn Tentions said:

Your average Australian pie is minging. Not for nothing are they (and sausages) known as mystery bags. I bought a 'chunky beef' (as opposed to the usual watery mince)  one in passing through Tenterfield a while back. Drove a few miles down the road and took a bite. The fucking meat was rotten, literally.

Almost invariably sold with soggy pastry.

Rat coffins

On 17/02/2019 at 12:33, Tony Moanero said:

I didn’t include Scouse pie, as I can’t be doing with pies that don’t have a pastry base.

The ones at the match have a pastry base, as do the ones that I make at home. The only problem is that they don't lend themselves to being smothered in gravy.

A really good steak and ale pie is a thing of beauty, but so many that you get are full of gristly meat which puts me off, hence my going for the chicken & mushroom - a  safe  option.

Oh and Tony, you can eat a pork pie hot if it's freshly made - quite a revelation. I did a pie-making class at this place last year. In fact after reading this thread  I'm going to get my lunch from there today  https://holborndiningroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/pie-room-take-away-menu.pdf 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The ones at the match have a pastry base, as do the ones that I make at home. The only problem is that they don't lend themselves to being smothered in gravy.

A really good steak and ale pie is a thing of beauty, but so many that you get are full of gristly meat which puts me off, hence my going for the chicken & mushroom - a  safe  option.

Oh and Tony, you can eat a pork pie hot if it's freshly made - quite a revelation. I did a pie-making class at this place last year. In fact after reading this thread  I'm going to get my lunch from there today  https://holborndiningroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/pie-room-take-away-menu.pdf 

Lunch? I just can't take anything you say seriously now Bertie Wooster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yeah, I remember the pies at the match, so hot that it could take 45 minutes to eat one!

I’ve had shop bought pork pies that were still warm, but not often. I much prefer them cold. I like my food either piping hot or cold, no inbetween.

4 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

That sounds great. I fancy the idea of doing a cooking course of some kind

13 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, not really a pie but I spent a fair chunk of my childhood living in Cornwall. Pasties are better than any pie mentioned here, and by a long shot. 

Agreed.  I'd quite happily live on pasties.

• Upvote 1