You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Savoury Pie Poll

Tony Moanero

Savoury Pie Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite hot, savoury pie?

• Meat & Potato
    • Steak
    • Steak & Ale
    • Steak & Kidney
    • Minced Beef & Onion
    • Chicken Balti
    • Chicken & Gravy
    • Chicken, Ham & Leek
    • Chicken & Mushroom
    • Cheese & Onion
    • Potato, Leek & Cheese
    • Other (Please state)

1 minute ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Well them in the garages don’t they? I don’t eat cows, so as beef tends to be in a lot of the over counter garage ones I swerve them.

Yeah they’re the one you get at the footy. Their classics are beef and mutton in gravy pies. Nothing gourmet, but they do the job. 

1 hour ago, arthur friedenreich said:

They do love a bit of that American style self-hype over here. With the beer swilling and pie eating kind of shit. Far too often you get robbed in a restaurant when a pie is a bowl with a fucking pastry lid.

theres a farmers market comes down our way once a month,, old boy calls himself chef, makes a fucking lovely family size chicken curry and sweet potato. But as you say, some of the bakers can be hit and miss. 
when we first moved over in 07, used to go to Garlos for a pie floater, which was pie, topped with mash peas and gravy in a little takeaway bowl. Smart scran after a few beers down the beach.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, pies that does have a pastry base are turd. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why has it taken 5 pages for you all to fuck this up. Its either

1a) Meat and Potato with brown sauce

1b) Scotch pie with brown sauce

Neither to be had pipping hot either. 

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second bit. Hot food has to be piping hot. Straight out of the oven and into my mouth.

11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Nowt wrong with a pie butty, mert. 

Where is the option for the humble meat pie? Johnson’s or Hollands, either will do. Mentioned it on here before but they don’t seem to exist south of the M6 Toll and I miss them dearly. 

meat-pie-no-plate-600x600copy.png

*drools*

Repped. Having not eaten for almost 48 hours, I reckon I could destroy two or three of those lovely bastards.

Not a big savoury pie guy. Only usually have one at Christmas and around new years and it's called "tourtière". It's basically just a meat pie with ground beef, pork or wild game with a bit of potato and onion sometimes as well. It's a popular holiday season dish in Quebec.

Otherwise, besides the occasional chicken pot pie, savoury pies are not a big staple where I am.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not a big savoury pie guy. Only usually have one at Christmas and around new years and it's called "tourtière". It's basically just a meat pie with ground beef, pork or wild game with a bit of potato and onion sometimes as well. It's a popular holiday season dish in Quebec.

Otherwise, besides the occasional chicken pot pie, savoury pies are not a big staple where I am.

Is this a good example?

0482C4C1-F051-49FD-A205-A4601FB98D34.jpeg

Looks ok. I’d need gravy with it, though.

Guest Pistonbroke

Out of the list, Chicken and Mushroom. Also like a nice minced beef and Red onion pie. Obviously have to make my own as the Germans aren't big on pies. 

We've got a bit of a tradition for pies in Leicester - great and not-so-great. The excellent Melton Mowbray pork pie is probably the most well-known local food along with Stilton and Red Leicester cheeses, but the Pukka Pie also started life in the county.

16 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We've got a bit of a tradition for pies in Leicester - great and not-so-great. The excellent Melton Mowbray pork pie is probably the most well-known local food along with Stilton and Red Leicester cheeses, but the Pukka Pie also started life in the county.

A proper Melton Mowbray pork pie is boss but doesn’t qualify as a hot, savoury pie. I love a ploughman’s - pork pie, ham, hard boiled egg, selection of two or three cheeses, Branston pickle, tomato, gherkin, pickled onion, crusty bread (generously buttered) and an apple, preferably a Russet.

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Just discovered this thread glad to see common sense prevailing with the Steak and Kidney pie leading.

who are the two meffs that voted for chicken balti pie? No cowpie for me, haven’t knowingly eaten beef in over 25 years. Chicken is the superior meat filling, followed by the great pig.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Usually I eat it with ketchup. It's quite a historic dish, actually. Goes all the way back to the early French colonial days in Quebec.

You'll be telling us your steak well done and have it with ketchup too. 

Do you have a bad hair piece and a orange complexion 

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

Ended a cruise in the Antipodes earlier this year , and after there being no pies served on board for the whole 42 days I couldn't wait to indulge having heard all about Australian pie culture. Massively disappointed doesn't cover it , bought about 7 or 8 different ones across Sydney , Melbourne and Adelaide and wouldn't mark any more than 5/10. The best one by miles was a steak pie with home made chips in a bakehouse in Bay Of Islands , New Zealand - 9/10.

Bay of Islands rep. I love it up there, beautiful part of the country. Did your cruise take you via Napier? We get a lot of the big cruise ships visiting the bay. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:
3 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Just discovered this thread glad to see common sense prevailing with the Steak and Kidney pie leading.

who are the two meffs that voted for chicken balti pie? No cowpie for me, haven’t knowingly eaten beef in over 25 years. Chicken is the superior meat filling, followed by the great pig.

No beef? I’d struggle without it. What’s the reason Arthur? Other than being a meff that is.

chicken and pork based pies are good but for me nothing beats a beef pie with lots of gravy.

Chicken balti is just feels wrong in a pie. Curry is great, Pie is great but I don’t need a fusion. What’s next Kung Pao Chicken Pie?