You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Savoury Pie Poll

Tony Moanero

Savoury Pie Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite hot, savoury pie?

• Meat & Potato
    • Steak
    • Steak & Ale
    • Steak & Kidney
    • Minced Beef & Onion
    • Chicken Balti
    • Chicken & Gravy
    • Chicken, Ham & Leek
    • Chicken & Mushroom
    • Cheese & Onion
    • Potato, Leek & Cheese
    • Other (Please state)

I've always found bought meat and potato pies to be incredibly disappointing. You're much better off making these things yourself, as with a lot of pies on the list. Although I appreciate standing slightly confused in your kitchen at 3 am with fuck all in the fridge is unlikely to bring out the chef in most people.

Have you had a pie from the Pie Hole...Mitchell's behind the Kop?

Also a nice cup of scouse if you're lucky. Mind you...it needs some pickled red cabbage really...but great nonetheless.

Amazing pies. Really amazing. I have a Shankly pie...which is a bit disconcertingly named but thoroughly enjoyable,

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Just had a Clayton Park (Accrington) meat & potato pie. I’d never heard of the cunts but my wife seen it in Spar and I thought I’d give it a go. BIG mistake. Easily the worse pie I’ve ever had. “Baked for the taste” my hairy arse. I could barely taste the potato let alone the meat. Absolute muck. Avoid like the plague. Bloody wools.

http://www.pietastic.com

Those cows hadn't drank their milk.

2 hours ago, Jennings said:

Also a nice cup of scouse if you're lucky. Mind you...it needs some pickled red cabbage really...but great nonetheless.

Amazing pies. Really amazing. I have a Shankly pie...which is a bit disconcertingly named but thoroughly enjoyable,

I had a scouse pie at anfield the other week and I made a pan of scouse on Thursday. It was fucking fit 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jennings said:

Had a beef Bourgogne pie there a couple of seasons ago.

Dreamland. Actually look forward to the pie more than the match sometimes.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, Evelyn Tentions said:

Your average Australian pie is minging. Not for nothing are they (and sausages) known as mystery bags. I bought a 'chunky beef' (as opposed to the usual watery mince)  one in passing through Tenterfield a while back. Drove a few miles down the road and took a bite. The fucking meat was rotten, literally.

Almost invariably sold with soggy pastry.

Aus has the best of pies and the worst of pies. Far too many of those fucking jarg wig ones though, with a bit puff pastry lid and nothing underneath.

i remember when we first moved over here, going tin galo’s in Coogee and getting a stack: chicken curry pie, topped with mash, mushy peas and gravy. Combine with a 6 pack of crownies for the true Australian ala carte dining experience.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:18 PM, Dr Nowt said:

Have gone steak and ale to try and help knock kidney off the top spot, but close call as nowadays would most likely opt for something like a chicken balti.

I have not (knowingly) ate cow since the CJD breakout in the 90’s. It’s one of those things I just can’t do, after seeing someone on TV who’s brain was basically melting. It completely fucked me up, plus cows are fucking cool. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Bjornebye said:

Fantastic thread. 

Anyone who eats kidney or liver or any sort of offal is a fucking kid shagger. Absolutely hate the stuff. Liver is disgusting, the texture makes me feel sick. My dad used to get frey bentos steak and kidney pies when I was a kid. We don't talk. 

Meat and Potato for me although reading the lost made my mouth water. The chicken and leak ones are fit so no shame for anyone voting for that. Ive gone meat and potato because I used to miss them the most when I lived down south. Nowhere did them. 

Has a scouse pie at anfield last year and it was fit so defo should be a vote option. 

Scotch Pies are fit. Farmfoods sell them although I've not been in a farmfoods in about 10 years 

Stig mate, yer doing it wrong.

Yer meant to eat them not fuck them.

ladies / yer sailor buds can be fit

Pies should be fucking tasty (though to be fair a few ladies can also fit under this banner, I spent today at the beach).

3 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Aus has the best of pies and the worst of pies. Far too many of those fucking jarg wig ones though, with a bit puff pastry lid and nothing underneath.

i remember when we first moved over here, going tin galo’s in Coogee and getting a stack: chicken curry pie, topped with mash, mushy peas and gravy. Combine with a 6 pack of crownies for the true Australian ala carte dining experience.

Ah, the opening gambit from Dickens' lesser-known Aussie novel produced under his pseudonym Bruce Drongo - 'A Tale Of Two Sheep Farms'.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Ah, the opening gambit from Dickens' lesser-known Aussie novel produced under his pseudonym Bruce Drongo - 'A Tale Of Two Sheep Farms'.

Careful, they love a bit of cultural appropriation over here. Next thing it’ll be Rusty Crowe, AC/DC, Crowded House, Chook Dickens - great, proud Australians one and all.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Careful, they love a bit of cultural appropriation over here. Next thing it’ll be Rusty Crowe, AC/DC, Crowded House, Chook Dickens - great, proud Australians one and all.

Dirty pies, done dirt cheap 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 02/03/2019 at 21:06, Mudface said:

I've always found bought meat and potato pies to be incredibly disappointing. You're much better off making these things yourself, as with a lot of pies on the list. Although I appreciate standing slightly confused in your kitchen at 3 am with fuck all in the fridge is unlikely to bring out the chef in most people.

Does that mean you have a recipe?

7 hours ago, Champ said:

Does that mean you have a recipe?

Sorry, I was talking more generally there and lamenting the piss poor quality of shop bought pies. I don't remember making a meat and potato one myself, it would have been my Mum or Nan who made them. I usually cook steak, or chicken, mushroom and bacon or (savoury) mince pies. I'll ask around though, my Mum might still have the recipe/ book she used to use.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Sorry, I was talking more generally there and lamenting the piss poor quality of shop bought pies. I don't remember making a meat and potato one myself, it would have been my Mum or Nan who made them. I usually cook steak, or chicken, mushroom and bacon or (savoury) mince pies. I'll ask around though, my Mum might still have the recipe/ book she used to use.

That would be amazing!

On 03/03/2019 at 10:55, arthur friedenreich said:

Ended a cruise in the Antipodes earlier this year , and after there being no pies served on board for the whole 42 days I couldn't wait to indulge having heard all about Australian pie culture. Massively disappointed doesn't cover it , bought about 7 or 8 different ones across Sydney , Melbourne and Adelaide and wouldn't mark any more than 5/10. The best one by miles was a steak pie with home made chips in a bakehouse in Bay Of Islands , New Zealand - 9/10.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The best way to have a pie when you're on the go

Image result for pie in a barm

Or when you have some time on your hands

Image result for pie in a barm

The worst thing about this post is the knowledge that Mook would deep fry that lot and shove it up his arse faster than you can say Irn-Bru 

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ended a cruise in the Antipodes earlier this year , and after there being no pies served on board for the whole 42 days I couldn't wait to indulge having heard all about Australian pie culture. Massively disappointed doesn't cover it , bought about 7 or 8 different ones across Sydney , Melbourne and Adelaide and wouldn't mark any more than 5/10. The best one by miles was a steak pie with home made chips in a bakehouse in Bay Of Islands , New Zealand - 9/10.

They do love a bit of that American style self-hype over here. With the beer swilling and pie eating kind of shit. Far too often you get robbed in a restaurant when a pie is a bowl with a fucking pastry lid.

theres a farmers market comes down our way once a month,, old boy calls himself chef, makes a fucking lovely family size chicken curry and sweet potato. But as you say, some of the bakers can be hit and miss. 
when we first moved over in 07, used to go to Garlos for a pie floater, which was pie, topped with mash peas and gravy in a little takeaway bowl. Smart scran after a few beers down the beach.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, arthur friedenreich said:

They do love a bit of that American style self-hype over here. With the beer swilling and pie eating kind of shit. Far too often you get robbed in a restaurant when a pie is a bowl with a fucking pastry lid.

theres a farmers market comes down our way once a month,, old boy calls himself chef, makes a fucking lovely family size chicken curry and sweet potato. But as you say, some of the bakers can be hit and miss. 
when we first moved over in 07, used to go to Garlos for a pie floater, which was pie, topped with mash peas and gravy in a little takeaway bowl. Smart scran after a few beers down the beach.

I genuinely like a bit of four’n twenties.