You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Savoury Pie Poll

Tony Moanero

Savoury Pie Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite hot, savoury pie?

• Meat & Potato
    • Steak
    • Steak & Ale
    • Steak & Kidney
    • Minced Beef & Onion
    • Chicken Balti
    • Chicken & Gravy
    • Chicken, Ham & Leek
    • Chicken & Mushroom
    • Cheese & Onion
    • Potato, Leek & Cheese
    • Other (Please state)

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Thinking about all the other stuff my nan used to feed us which youngsters would be horrified by now.

Tongue, heart (With visible valves) liver (wasn't a fan). 

Haha, same- I used to really like stuffed heart, and liver and bacon is still a food of the gods. I drew the line at pig's trotters though, which are utterly revolting, and I didn't even attempt tripe or eels.

21 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I went for Balti. I absolutely love curry in a pie.

Second would be scouse pie.

I've never had curry in a pie before. I don't eat pies generally, but I do have a fancy for one now. I normally just go with the minced beef and onion, steak, or a cheese and onion. I'm going to do a curry one next time though.

Mitchell's pies across from Anfield. Glorious.

There's a Scottish pie stand at St Pancras, always wolf down a Scotch pie or Haggis roll. 

Steak and kidney though is the pie of pies. 

If you ask someone over here their favourite pie you'll get apple, pecah, pecan, etc as an answer. Colonialism gone wrong.

Fantastic thread. 

Anyone who eats kidney or liver or any sort of offal is a fucking kid shagger. Absolutely hate the stuff. Liver is disgusting, the texture makes me feel sick. My dad used to get frey bentos steak and kidney pies when I was a kid. We don't talk. 

Meat and Potato for me although reading the lost made my mouth water. The chicken and leak ones are fit so no shame for anyone voting for that. Ive gone meat and potato because I used to miss them the most when I lived down south. Nowhere did them. 

Has a scouse pie at anfield last year and it was fit so defo should be a vote option. 

Scotch Pies are fit. Farmfoods sell them although I've not been in a farmfoods in about 10 years 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, Brownie said:

My dad used to make one when we were younger and it was encased in pastry. It was fucking boss.

Sounds great that.

My mum used to do roast chicken leftovers pie for a Monday or Tuesday night.  It was basically chicken and roast potatoes in gravy encased in pastry.  Bloody brilliant.

• Upvote 1

In Newfoundland they have seal flipper pie. Honestly I’ve eaten a fair amount of bits and parts (fermented walrus meat, polar bear stew, Arctic char eyes, seal, seal liver, caribou,’stuffed caribou heart, ptarmigan, musk ox) buy the flipper of a seal in a pie is taking the piss.

Seal meat is probably the most oily stinky meat I’ve ever eaten. Even fried it’s just barely edible and you stink like fish for days. When I lived on the coast of Hudson Bay in Arviat the students at school would tease the ‘seal eaters’; those doing the teasing were more inland and lived off the caribou. It didn’t help for cohesiveness in the community that those that kept sled dogs fed either seal or caribou to them depending on their dietery preference (the caribou eaters fed their dogs seal, and seal eaters fed their dogs caribou.

Not sure where either group is on the beans on a fry up debate. But I reckon the seal eaters are pro-bean. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a Clayton Park (Accrington) meat & potato pie. I’d never heard of the cunts but my wife seen it in Spar and I thought I’d give it a go. BIG mistake. Easily the worse pie I’ve ever had. “Baked for the taste” my hairy arse. I could barely taste the potato let alone the meat. Absolute muck. Avoid like the plague. Bloody wools.

http://www.pietastic.com