You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Savoury Pie Poll

Tony Moanero

Savoury Pie Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite hot, savoury pie?

• Meat & Potato
    • Steak
    • Steak & Ale
    • Steak & Kidney
    • Minced Beef & Onion
    • Chicken Balti
    • Chicken & Gravy
    • Chicken, Ham & Leek
    • Chicken & Mushroom
    • Cheese & Onion
    • Potato, Leek & Cheese
    • Other (Please state)

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Do cottage & shepherd pies count?

I fucking love them, a lot more than any pie with pastry.

I would have a shepherds pie over any other pie but a cottage pie is a close second.

3 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Voted chicken and mushroom here, although also very partial to a bacon and egg pie. Steak and cheese or mince and cheese very popular with the general population. 

Pies are serious business down this side of the world.

There was a pie shop in Melbourne, Australia that made the best pies I ever purchased from a bakers. Not had any in the UK that even come close but I reckon there will be some boss ones around if you look for them.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Do cottage & shepherd pies count?

I fucking love them, a lot more than any pie with pastry.

Good shout that to be fair. 

A good fishermans pie too

Though I do prefer a good casserole to a pie these days. 

There was a shop in Watford about 15 years back that all it did was sell pies. All sorts of sweet or savory, ready to eat out the shop or brought home. All weird and wonderful Indian, Chinese, traditional flavours. Only lasted 6 months or so

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Good shout that to be fair. 

A good fishermans pie too

Though I do prefer a good casserole to a pie these days. 

There was a shop in Watford about 15 years back that all it did was sell pies. All sorts of sweet or savory, ready to eat out the shop or brought home. All weird and wonderful Indian, Chinese, traditional flavours. Only lasted 6 months or so

Theres a fast food chain down here called Jesters, they only do pies. Again, all sorts of flavours, sweet and savoury.

Being fast food, the quality of the pastry isn't that great. Not bad though.

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Steak and kidney, kidneys are a rarety these days and anyone under 30 seems horrified when you tell them about it. Which makes it even nicer.

Thinking about all the other stuff my nan used to feed us which youngsters would be horrified by now.

Tongue, heart (With visible valves) liver (wasn't a fan). 

Never liked kidney myself

Do like liver and all the shit in haggis too though. Liver is a great substitute for pork or chicken in tacos if money short. 

Just boil it in water and skim the crap in pan. Slightly undercooked. Straight into a spice mix and into a hot pan to sear and cook the spices through 

Your average Australian pie is minging. Not for nothing are they (and sausages) known as mystery bags. I bought a 'chunky beef' (as opposed to the usual watery mince)  one in passing through Tenterfield a while back. Drove a few miles down the road and took a bite. The fucking meat was rotten, literally.

Almost invariably sold with soggy pastry.

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Never liked kidney myself

Do like liver and all the shit in haggis too though. Liver is a great substitute for pork or chicken in tacos if money short. 

Just boil it in water and skim the crap in pan. Slightly undercooked. Straight into a spice mix and into a hot pan to sear and cook the spices through 

I've never tried haggis and to find out there's shit in it makes me even less inclined to ever try it.