You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Klopp was to retire at the end of this season...

Jose Jones

I am totally open to discussing hypotheticals as a way to get through a dull week without football, but this hypothetical is way, waaaaay too far out there.

Might as well ask what kind of stadium we should build if Anfield spontaneously combusts over the summer, or whether it's feasible to move LFC to somewhere still in the EU after Brexit.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I am totally open to discussing hypotheticals as a way to get through a dull week without football, but this hypothetical is way, waaaaay too far out there.

Might as well ask what kind of stadium we should build if Anfield spontaneously combusts over the summer, or whether it's feasible to move LFC to somewhere still in the EU after Brexit.

You don’t think Jurgen likes the Isle of Man?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

You don’t think Jurgen likes the Isle of Man?

He could broaden his managerial horizons by meeting up with LFD over a coffee to talk tactics. 

LFD would dramatically sweep both coffees off the table and storm out of the cafe when Klopp disagreed with him about the 4-4-2 formation, but I still think Jurgen would be a better manager for having had that experience. 

Jose, negged, obviously. For putting a dampener on my day. If I don't get a "rub of the relic" from the missus, I'll blame you. 

Can't imagine life after Klopp to be honest even though it's a certainty. The only man who would be given the respect and breathing space required would be Gerrard IMO. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Jose, negged, obviously. For putting a dampener on my day. If I don't get a "rub of the relic" from the missus, I'll blame you. 

Can't imagine life after Klopp to be honest even though it's a certainty. The only man who would be given the respect and breathing space required would be Gerrard IMO. 

Seriously people. It was really just a way of stimulating a bit of conversation about who the next top managers in footy are.

And the magic of the Isle of Man whiskey dream.

26 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Maybe I should put this in the Amnesty thread but my main hope for Gerrard at Rangers is that he fails so badly there it ends all talk of him ever becoming Liverpool manager.

I don't know how many more examples we need that the qualities that make a great footballer and the qualities that make a great manager are completely different. Of course there are the rare examples of people who have both but the list of top footballers who have failed as managers is very, very long.

And even if he does do OK, or even pretty well, it's very unlikely he'd ever be in the top 10 mangers in the world at any point.* My main fear is that he'll do just well enough that it'll be arguable that he be considered for the job at Liverpool and that we'll see him come in at some point when we don't have any other serious contender. I can't take going from loving Gerrard to seeing him as a tragic figure like what happened with Souness.

*Obviously in the extremely unlikely event that it turns out that he wins absolutely everything in Scotland and he really IS one of the top 10 managers in the world, it would be brilliant to have him here. But only in that case, I don't want to hear about it if his main qualification is "well, he knows the club, Liverpool legend and all, and what he really needs is to be given some top players, that's why he couldn't do it at Rangers, besides, he did win some minor trophies there ..."

It would have to be Rafa wouldn’t it.  The chance to see half the fan base defending him as he led the club to mediocrity while playing completely aids football and the other half suddenly remember why they couldn’t stand his football in the first place would be just too good an opportunity to miss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't know how many more examples we need that the qualities that make a great footballer and the qualities that make a great manager are completely different.

TBF - the two that spring to mind as successes (Guardiola and Zidane) both stepped directly from reserve/youth to the top job.

Would have been interesting to see Pep's career arc if he had to start out at Rangers.