You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Bournemouth 0 (Feb 9 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Hey look, the Red Arrows are back! It’s been a while but their return couldn’t have been more timely. It was a must win game but we also needed a performance to lift flagging morale and to blow up the tiresome “they’re bottling it” narrative. If one defeat all season is classed as “bottling it”, I’ll have that every year.

That being said, we all know that our form hasn’t been good for a little while now and even when we were winning every game it wasn’t always dazzling. This, however, was dazzling. This was the football I remember from last season when we were blowing teams away. Speed, skill, speed, intensity, speed. Did I mention speed? 

How satisfying was it seeing those lightning quick counter attacks from opposing corner kicks? That’s one of my favourite things in football; seeing us clear a corner and then everyone going “chaaaaaaarrrggge!” Even Virgil was right up there in the box for one of them late on. Exhilerrating. 

I don’t care that it was ‘only Bournemouth’ and that their style of play suits us. That helped, obviously, but it wasn’t the reason we looked so good. To me it feels as though Klopp did some soul searching after Leicester and West Ham, and at the end of it he went back to the tried and trusted. Back to what he knows works; 4-3-3 with Bobby in the middle and Mo on the right. 

I don’t know why he has veered away from it for so much of this season, particularly as the 4-2-3-1 has never really looked that convincing. In flashes it’s been good and it helped get us to the top of the table so there is that, but we’ve never looked as fluent playing that way as we did when we were running roughshod on all of Europe last season.

I guess despite the results there’s been a part of me this season that has kept thinking about the blistering football we saw for much of the previous campaign. Don’t get me wrong, I like how we’re winning more games than last year, but the performances have rarely been as thrilling as much of what we were treated to a year ago. This felt like a return to that. It’s only one game though, so we’ll see. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
4 hours ago, tlw content said:

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

this was the best game Keita has had.

He didn’t do anything mind blowing, but he was confident, assured, inventive, busy and was involved in pretty much everything. Made up for him, let’s hope he’s turned that corner now because if he can be the player we thought he was going to be then he could give us the little extra push we need to get over the line.

He didn't do anything mind-blowing? From what I saw he was involved in all three goals including a gorgeous outside-of-the-foot pass to Bobby for Salah's superb team goal. 

Other than that, boss report and to be complaining about being top to a Blue is showing how spoilt we are right now - hopefully the Blue felt rage towards your sheer disdain for being top!

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

He didn't do anything mind-blowing? From what I saw he was involved in all three goals including a gorgeous outside-of-the-foot pass to Bobby for Salah's superb team goal. 

Other than that, boss report and to be complaining about being top to a Blue is showing how spoilt we are right now - hopefully the Blue felt rage towards your sheer disdain for being top!

The pass was ace, but it wasn't mind blowing. I thought he was very good, I'm not trying to downplay his performance.

3 hours ago, HolyHank said:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't we start out against West Ham 4-3-3 in the first half, with Bobby up front and Mo to the right, and then switch it to 4-2-3-1 with Mo as striker and Bobby behind?

I don't remember. It's very fluid anyway and often it's hard to keep track of what we're doing. Sometimes its even almost 4-4-2.

All I know is what we saw on Saturday was like watching us last season, and long may it continue.

2 hours ago, RedHeadedRed said:

Doctored screenshots on Twitter ?  Are you serious Jesus Christ what is this Trump's white house or something, is that how far people are going to try and discredit us and claim it's all about luck. Fucking sad bastards.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, dave u said:

I don't remember. It's very fluid anyway and often it's hard to keep track of what we're doing. Sometimes its even almost 4-4-2.

All I know is what we saw on Saturday was like watching us last season, and long may it continue.

Saw Linjders called the 4-2-3-1 a 4-4-2 in an interview today.

• dave u unpinned this topic