You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robertson: Keita was different class against Bournemouth

tlw content

Liverpool returned to winning ways with a impressive 3-0 win against Bournemouth at Anfield on Saturday afternoon.

First half goals by Sadio Mane and Gini Wijnaldum was followed by a Mo Salah strike three minutes into the second half.

Bournemouth missing the creative touches of David Brooks and strike power of Callum Wilson had no answer and fell to yet another away day defeat which is their eighth in succession.

While the win was more than welcome especially after two frustrating draws, another pleasing factor of the victory was the game of Naby Keita.

The performances of the Guinea international who turns 24 today (Happy birthday Naby) has been a major talking point throughout the season.

While fellow midfield summer signings in Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri have shown encouraging signs, Keita has never really settled as he has battled niggling injuries and inconsistent performances.

Jurgen Klopp has pleaded for patience in regards to the £50 million signing saying that he will come good in time.

One player who knows all about adapting to a new club and having to be patient is Andy Robertson as he was in the same boat last season.

The Scottish captain who on Saturday registered his 11th assist since debuting for the Reds (most of any defender during that span) was very impressed with the performance of Keita and told the Official site that he can gain a lot from that as we move into the crucial last couple of months.

"I thought that Naby was excellent. He has taken a wee bit of time to settle in but today was probably his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. I’m sure he can take a lot of confidence from that, which he will.

"He’s young and he’s had to take time. But if you look at all of us, Fabinho had to take time, me, Chambo. There’s a kind of pattern emerging that you need to settle in and you need to learn the way to play and things like that.

"I think everyone forgets how young Naby is, he’s only a young boy. I thought today he was a different class. I’m sure his confidence will be sky high after today.”

"He’s a fantastic player and the more he shows it the more people will start talking about him.

keita3_600.jpg

In terms of the victory, Robertson said it was pretty much a complete performance, goals from the front line and midfield, and the defence keeping things tight at the back.

The left-back also says that every win in the division should be savoured.

"In this league it is so hard to win games and you have to work for every inch that you get. And you have to work for every goal that you score, and thankfully we did that today.

"Bournemouth, two games ago, beat Chelsea 4-0. 
So, they are having a good season, they have a good team and a good manager.  But, overall, I thought we deserved the win and we deserved the clean sheet, and it probably could have been more.

While winning is obviously vital when aiming for a league title, the other thing you need is the supporters to drive you on during games.

Robertson was glowing in his appreciation of the Anfield crowd on Saturday.

"It was brilliant. The fans got behind us, they were in nice and early and they got behind us from the first whistle. It always makes a difference.

"But we know we have to put on a performance to match that. We need to put in a performance to get the fans onside; to win our tackles, to score goals, to create chances. 

"That’s the only way you are going to get fans off their seats and that’s in any league at any time.

The squad now heads off to a warm weather camp in Spain for a few days, before a massive stretch of games starting with the first leg of the last 16 Champions League clash against Bayern Munich a week on Tuesday.

View full article

• Upvote 1

I really like him and as a fan base we should be supporting him.

There are average players who just don't have it in their locker and there are players who show you flashes of ability but for some reason just haven't been able to show it game in and game out, he's deffo in the latter camp IMO.

He needs a run of decent performances to build his confidence and he'll become a real assett.

• Upvote 4