You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vowels Only Draft Idea - Rules and Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Red House said:

Which Alex is that? The centre-back or the attacking mid?

Centre back - of Chelsea, AC Milan & PSG fame.

Ince was a good player -- probably gets less dues than deserved due to the West Ham/Utd/Liverpool trio of clubs .. loved by none .. probably Inter most of all!

Will update and put in reference for Alex too.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Centre back - of Chelsea, AC Milan & PSG fame.

Ince was a good player -- probably gets less dues than deserved due to the West Ham/Utd/Liverpool trio of clubs .. loved by none .. probably Inter most of all!

Will update and put in reference for Alex too.

Definitely, he has no one fighting his corner and his reputation as a footballer suffers for it. 

To be honest, individual opinions should be irrelevant -- if the draft-starter is the adjudicator of the game, all debatable choices should be sent that way for approval first. If theyre given the OK then, within reason, what's the problem.

Well - I think that's why it's best to just double check ideas. Personally my reaction to seeing him pop up was gutted id forgotten him as good midfielders are gold dust - it didn't occur to me re: the names as I have seen him referred to by Alcantara. But Thiago has been used before too so do understand the debate.

I guess logically if you accept Alisson Becker as Alisson, then Thiago Alcantara has to be regarded as Thiago. Or vice-versa. So, it should be either Alisson-Thiago or Becker-Alcantara. Can make a good case for either option, but tough to justify having it both ways.

But, as I've got fuck all chance of winning this one, can't say I give a shit either way.

1 minute ago, Red House said:

I guess logically if you accept Alisson Becker as Alisson, then Thiago Alcantara has to be regarded as Thiago. Or vice-versa. So, it should be either Alisson-Thiago or Becker-Alcantara. Can make a good case for either option, but tough to justify having it both ways.

But, as I've got fuck all chance of winning this one, can't say I give a shit either way.

I don't think that necessarily follows. Alisson is referred to as either "Alisson" or "Alisson Becker" whereas Thiago is referred to as either "Thiago" or "Thiago Alcantara" - so both are fair enough for different reasons. Likewise, if the draft was about players whose name begins with "B", Alisson would count and if it was players whose name begin with "T", Thiago would count, as both have different ways that their names are COMMONLY spoken. IMO anyway. 

4 minutes ago, John102 said:

Every player has a common name and thats what we should go off, in this case Thiago. Otherwise you get this confusion.

Anyway Ardja hurry up.

They don't though, that's the problem. Another example, Gilberto Silva - he's equally known as either "Gilberto" or "Gilberto Silva". There are a few of these anomalies... 

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah like Ronaldinho or Ronaldiniho Gaucho. 

I would say that one's not in common enough use to justify allowing it personally.

Type "Thiago" into Google - you get the name of his Wiki page as "Thiago Alcantara", then it says he's referred to simply as "Thiago". Transfermarkt calls him "Thiago", Whoscored calls him "Thiago Alcantara", different journalistic things refer to him as both, etc.