You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vowels Only Draft Idea - Rules and Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Great pick. Was hoping he'd get to me. 

And he well would of, if not for John taking Aurelio! Should have just taken Alaba rather than Alex on previous turn.

Edit: you got your own back with Asprilla.. voted 6th best player in the world while at Parma I believe.. no idea why Insigne and the likes were going before him 

Because Insigne is more consistent 

Tino looked incredible for a short spell but has a patchy scoring record and plays up top or wide right to Insigne inside left. I was very tempted with him and md a so far unpicked player if I played 2 uptop

3 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

On a similar note, some of the RBs picked before Angloma is pretty odd to me. Angloma was one of the best right backs in the world for the best part of 10 years. 

Some of these more recent players who play outside England are basically just names to me - I don't know an awful lot about them. 

Just played at a time when Spanish football was just starting to be a thing. Part of a incredible back 4 at Valencia

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah Angloma was a very good player but I think Ivanovic, Arbeloa, Dani Alves and Azpilicueta are at least the equal of him, a lot better in Alves’ case.

Only one he’s clearly better than at the minute out of the picks is Trent.

I personally would have had him as my second choice RB after Alves, though, on reflection, there's not a lot in it and my previous statement was probably slightly hyperbolic.  

I was regretting my choices a few days back. Wished id have picked a strong centre mid earlier whilst some were left and then gone with Angloma. Been trying to see if i could shoe horn him in at left back for past day, however, after the reaction i got to playing Iniesta on the right, i thought better of it.

RE Insigne / Asprilla.. Personally think there's no comparison.. One was voted 6th best player in the world while playing in possibly the strongest all round domestic league that has ever existed pinging hattricks against Barcelona at his height... the other plays for a mediocre Napoli side that get bombed out of Europe early on every season & in an absolute tin-pot league that Juventus are about to win for the millionth time running at a canter.  I have no vested interest in either but I'd think peak Asprilla (if we go by the 'peak' rule) is a lot better & more dangerous than a number of forwards picked before him..

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

My regret was not picking Luis Enrique 2nd or 3rd instead of Ivanovic. Could've got a decent right back later, but I thought I could put him CB too and there aren't that many really good ones. 

Indeed - Enrique is really useful because he opens up several options for the last few picks because he can play different positions and in different formations and not look out of place in any of them. 

24 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

RE Insigne / Asprilla.. Personally think there's no comparison.. One was voted 6th best player in the world while playing in possibly the strongest all round domestic league that has ever existed pinging hattricks against Barcelona at his height... the other plays for a mediocre Napoli side that get bombed out of Europe early on every season & in an absolute tin-pot league that Juventus are about to win for the millionth time running at a canter.  I have no vested interest in either but I'd think peak Asprilla (if we go by the 'peak' rule) is a lot better & more dangerous than a number of forwards picked before him..

If you look at the results for that year, Tony Yeboah was voted the ninth best player in the world. The year after Thomas Brolin was in the top ten, the year before Brian Laudrup came fifth. I wouldn’t put any weight on that particular ‘award’ personally unless they finished top 3.

The rest of the top ten can get there without many points.

He SHOULD be ok actually based on another player already accepted .. player is Adriano, full back from Barcelona. As with the striker, both are listed on wikipedia as 'Adriano' (one born 1982, one 1984), with the longer names as is common in Brazil.

Ok cool - 2 links are below if anyone feels like verifying. On that point re: how names are accepted .. if there are future games then it may be best noting the definitive one-source for info. at outset (i.e. wiki; PL; transfermarkt etc.), which will remove ambiguity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_(footballer,_born_1984)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_(footballer,_born_1982)

@DimReaper