You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (H) Champions League. Last 16 (19/2/19)

Bjornebye

Can't be too disheartened with the result. The away goals rule now plays into our hands and I think that will be what puts us through. We had a lot of good situations but he final ball was just frustrating last night. We'll take it out on the manc cunts on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

Agree to disagree. We'd have won the game if Milner started.

Disagree completely with this. Having both Henderson and Milner starting is a no no from me and as I said in the Henderson thread,I'd start Henderson over Milner as I think he's part of a more balanced midfield. I was more disappointed with Wijnaldum than anybody in the midfield myself.

2 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Keita was hiding? I just can't believe that. He was on the ball a fuck load, everything going him through him for large parts of the game.

His final ball was too casual every time and he’s not as eager to press as Gini or Henderson. If he can sort those two things out he’ll be grand. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

His final ball was too casual every time and he’s not as eager to press as Gini or Henderson. If he can sort those two things out he’ll be grand. 

Aye but not hiding, was he? I found that a weird comment. I think he was positionally not great. I feel like he needs a goal and some confidence. 

it's taking a bit of time and Klopp's influence on working with his rawness, but I think Keita is coming out of his shell. beating a man at close quarters, which I reckon is the hardest skill of all, is what he is there for to open things up in these tight games. it's invaluable that a side has good dribbler like him. his final decision making and cutting out gambling with possession in vital areas of the pitch will hopefully improve, but it's encouraging he's doing his thing against a top quality side like Bayern. 

some players just take a bit longer to adjust than others sometimes. I recall that Coman getting a bit of clog when he first went to the Bundesliga, but at 22 he looks like he going in right way and now looks a more dangerous proposition after being there a while.

The last five times Liverpool drew the first leg 0-0...

Augsburg – 2016

The most recent example came in the Europa League as Liverpool were held to a stalemate at Augsburg in their last 32 tie.

After a largely uneventful game – with former Sunderland flop Ji Dong-won coming closest to scoring by hitting the post for the hosts – Jurgen Klopp expressed his disappointment, saying: “I have to be patient, but I’m not a patient man, not really.”

What happened next: Liverpool scraped into the next round as a fifth-minute James Milner penalty was enough to secure a 1-0 win at Anfield, and they went on to finish as beaten finalists after impressive victories over Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal.

Sparta Prague – 2011

Coming only a month after Kenny Dalglish was reappointed Liverpool manager, neither side offered much threat, with Sparta playing in their first match following a three-month winter break.

With Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez unavailable, David N’Gog toiled away as the lone striker, stifled by former West Ham centre-back Tomas Repka, who was somehow still playing professional football at the time.

What happened next: Liverpool again returned to Anfield to secure a 1-0 win, secured by a late Dirk Kuyt header. But they crashed out in the following round in a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Braga.

Chelsea – 2005

Liverpool were developing one of the fiercest rivalries of the 2000s with Chelsea at a time when Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho frequently locked horns, and the first leg was a typically cagey affair at Stamford Bridge.

Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard both had chances for the Blues, while John Arne Riise and Milan Baros failed to snatch an away goal.

“It’s dangerous for them,” Mourinho insisted afterwards. “They play at home and 99.9% of Liverpool fans will be thinking they are in the final, but they aren’t and it will be difficult for them.”

What happened next: You know full well what happened next, don’t you?

Luis-Garcia.jpg

Barcelona – 2001

Gerard Houllier’s side did an excellent job of stunting a Barcelona attack featuring Marc Overmars, Rivaldo and Patrick Kluivert to escape from the Nou Camp with a 0-0 draw in the UEFA Cup semi-finals.

The result meant Liverpool remained unbeaten away from home in the competition.

What happened next: Barcelona were beaten 1-0 at Anfield courtesy of a Gary McAllister penalty converted just before half-time, which he celebrated by screaming into the face of Carles Puyol.

“There was a bit of shenanigans before the penalty,” McAllister later told Graham Hunter’s Big Interview podcast. “Puyol was ranting in Spanish, and although I couldn’t understand it, it was clearly not nice what he was saying.

“When I scored, my first instinct was to look for him and swing a clenched fist at him.”

Gary-McAllister-Liverpool-Barcelona.jpg

And Liverpool followed up that victory by beating Alaves in a 5-4 thriller in the final on their way to a cup Treble.

Porto – 2001

In the round prior to facing Barcelona, Liverpool travelled to Porto in the first leg of the quarter-final to face a side who had not been beaten at home for a year.

The Reds produced another disciplined display to hold the hosts to a 0-0 draw, with Sami Hyypia particularly excellent at centre-back. “It was an outstanding display by our defence,” Houllier gushed afterwards.

What happened next: Unlike the rest of these results, Liverpool went on to win more comfortably, as two goals in four minutes from Danny Murphy and Michael Owen wrapped up a 2-0 win at Anfield.

Salah and Robertson stunk. Salah came up against a well organised defence so a bit of leeway there, though he has been flat for far too lang now, compared to previous levels. Robertson seems to have gone way off the boil the day after he signed his new contract. Both need to get their heads sorted and back on track. 

26 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Salah and Robertson stunk. Salah came up against a well organised defence so a bit of leeway there, though he has been flat for far too lang now, compared to previous levels. Robertson seems to have gone way off the boil the day after he signed his new contract. Both need to get their heads sorted and back on track. 

Robbo didn't stink at all. Below par? Yes,but he was up against better quality opposition than most weeks in the PL and is entitled to a less than stellar game every now and then. He still got forward as well though.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Robbo didn't stink at all. Below par? Yes,but he was up against better quality opposition than most weeks in the PL and is entitled to a less than stellar game every now and then. He still got forward as well though.

Maybe a tad harsh, but he has dropped off, of late. Hope he's on his game for Sunday. 

9 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The last five times Liverpool drew the first leg 0-0...

Augsburg – 2016

The most recent example came in the Europa League as Liverpool were held to a stalemate at Augsburg in their last 32 tie.

After a largely uneventful game – with former Sunderland flop Ji Dong-won coming closest to scoring by hitting the post for the hosts – Jurgen Klopp expressed his disappointment, saying: “I have to be patient, but I’m not a patient man, not really.”

What happened next: Liverpool scraped into the next round as a fifth-minute James Milner penalty was enough to secure a 1-0 win at Anfield, and they went on to finish as beaten finalists after impressive victories over Manchester United, Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal.

Sparta Prague – 2011

Coming only a month after Kenny Dalglish was reappointed Liverpool manager, neither side offered much threat, with Sparta playing in their first match following a three-month winter break.

With Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez unavailable, David N’Gog toiled away as the lone striker, stifled by former West Ham centre-back Tomas Repka, who was somehow still playing professional football at the time.

What happened next: Liverpool again returned to Anfield to secure a 1-0 win, secured by a late Dirk Kuyt header. But they crashed out in the following round in a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Braga.

Chelsea – 2005

Liverpool were developing one of the fiercest rivalries of the 2000s with Chelsea at a time when Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho frequently locked horns, and the first leg was a typically cagey affair at Stamford Bridge.

Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard both had chances for the Blues, while John Arne Riise and Milan Baros failed to snatch an away goal.

“It’s dangerous for them,” Mourinho insisted afterwards. “They play at home and 99.9% of Liverpool fans will be thinking they are in the final, but they aren’t and it will be difficult for them.”

What happened next: You know full well what happened next, don’t you?

Luis-Garcia.jpg

Barcelona – 2001

Gerard Houllier’s side did an excellent job of stunting a Barcelona attack featuring Marc Overmars, Rivaldo and Patrick Kluivert to escape from the Nou Camp with a 0-0 draw in the UEFA Cup semi-finals.

The result meant Liverpool remained unbeaten away from home in the competition.

What happened next: Barcelona were beaten 1-0 at Anfield courtesy of a Gary McAllister penalty converted just before half-time, which he celebrated by screaming into the face of Carles Puyol.

“There was a bit of shenanigans before the penalty,” McAllister later told Graham Hunter’s Big Interview podcast. “Puyol was ranting in Spanish, and although I couldn’t understand it, it was clearly not nice what he was saying.

“When I scored, my first instinct was to look for him and swing a clenched fist at him.”

Gary-McAllister-Liverpool-Barcelona.jpg

And Liverpool followed up that victory by beating Alaves in a 5-4 thriller in the final on their way to a cup Treble.

Porto – 2001

In the round prior to facing Barcelona, Liverpool travelled to Porto in the first leg of the quarter-final to face a side who had not been beaten at home for a year.

The Reds produced another disciplined display to hold the hosts to a 0-0 draw, with Sami Hyypia particularly excellent at centre-back. “It was an outstanding display by our defence,” Houllier gushed afterwards.

What happened next: Unlike the rest of these results, Liverpool went on to win more comfortably, as two goals in four minutes from Danny Murphy and Michael Owen wrapped up a 2-0 win at Anfield.

In each of these instances, we were away in the first leg.

Still, hope the outcome is the same.

Our record after drawing 0-0 at home first leg

1998-99 Uefa Cup

Liverpool 0-0 Valencia

Valencia 2-2 Liverpool

1983-84 European Cup

Liverpool 0-0 Athletic Bilbao

Athletic Bilbao 0-1 Liverpool

1980-81 European Cup

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich 1-1 Liverpool

1971-72 Cup Winners Cup

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich 3-1 Liverpool

Pretty good overall....

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Thank god matches that happened over 40 years ago have a huge impact on our next tie. 

Hopefully only the ones under 40 years do as we lost the only one over it.

The point I was making is that 0-0 at home is not too bad a result. I wasn't suggesting that Paddy Berger would put one in from 25 yards or that Rushy would pop up for a winner but I'm sure you knew that anyway.

• Like 1