You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (H) Champions League. Last 16 (19/2/19)

Bjornebye

One of those that we probably would've won on a day where our finishing was better and we got a little luck in terms of ball bounces. All that considered I can't really shit on a clean sheet without Van Dijk. We didn't blow them away as was possible, but we held serve. That Bayern Munich would rather pass it backwards than have one last attack that was basically risk free at the death of the game shows our progress and the respect we've earned in Europe. Our previous away form in Europe this season leaves this concerning but on the flip side of that Keita is finally starting to look like we might have been on to something when we bought him and Firmino appears to be getting back to his best.

We need depth for that central attacking role in the worst way. Origi hasn't show much since that everton cunt broke his leg ages ago, and even when he makes good runs, for me it seems as though his teammates don't trust him. Towards the end Origi surges forward and Mané looks to pass it inside to Gini instead of trying to slip it past the defender that was attacking him. Now maybe I'm reading too much into it and Mané just didn't think it was on from his perspective, but for me it seemed like he just didn't see the point in giving him the ball.

Just now, Revenge negging cunt said:

He's having a large number of poor games this season. 

And yet still one of, if not the highest, scorer in English football this season.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've just come here to see which posters are calling each other cunts.

It all seems surprisingly civilised.

Totally noncommittal when we draw.

Fuck off, cunt.

Just kidding.

15 minutes ago, Revenge negging cunt said:

He's having a large number of poor games this season. 

He's also scoring a large number of goals, though. He's not Messi, he's not gonna be brilliant every single game, especially against the best opposition.

He wasn't in the box enough tonight. Against the top sides, they'd rather he was out wide because his decision making lets him down at times in midfield and good sides can rob him of the ball. We haven't done it often but against the best teams, I'd try sticking him up front. 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Harry Kane speaks English better than Rio Ferdinand.

Ferdinand talking us up again to his credit. They all agreed Bayern didn’t turn up looking to win. We’ve come a long way under yer man. Fabhino was outstanding. 

We just need to get hold of razor for the return leg. 

I thought Bayern were bellends tonight if I'm honest. Baffled as to why they started time wasting around 30 minutes in and made the most out of every challenge. Ref was a cunt for buying it too. 

Hope we go full throttle in the second leg and twat them 20-0. The boring cunts. 

That’s a much better result for us than it is for them.

Didn’t think we ever looked like scoring. Some good build-up and then nothing. Neuer didn’t even get tested.

Henderson was immense in that first half everywhere on the pitch. He’s worth having for European games alone, the big oddball. 

2 minutes ago, .̯. said:

I thought Bayern were bellends tonight if I'm honest. Baffled as to why they started time wasting around 30 minutes in and made the most out of every challenge. Ref was a cunt for buying it too. 

Hope we go full throttle in the second leg and twat them 20-0. The boring cunts. 

I think you've mistakenly added a 2 to the scoreline. Twat them 0-0. Win on pens.

Bayern played like a cross between Mourinho's mid-00s Chelsea & an Allardyce side. Immense full backs coupled with a midfield that never strayed beyond the half way line and workman like but extremely athletic wingers.

Not much Salah can do when he's got 6 players on him out wide. Needed more from the central players -- Keita spurned his opportunities to play killer balls when given time and space. Milner showed him up in that respect.

Will be surprised if we go out.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

That’s a much better result for us than it is for them.

Didn’t think we ever looked like scoring. Some good build-up and then nothing. Neuer didn’t even get tested.

Henderson was immense in that first half everywhere on the pitch. He’s worth having for European games alone, the big oddball. 

Yeah he was ok. I wouldn’t start him in the return leg as he shits himself away from Anfield. Midfield 3 has to be Fabhino, Wynaldum and Keita. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was worried about conceding with our makeshift defence but though Fabinho was excellent and never seemed to panic. Glad we haven't conceded and we will have Van Dijk back, they will have Muller and Kimmich missing. 

They could have Goretzka back and he will be a nuisance. Set up nice for a good match.

They can't play like that over there. If they do we will open them up. They stuck to a solid gameplay and unfortunately we had no penetration. Why Shaqiri didn't come on is beyond me. 

Fabinho was excellent. What the fuck Robbo and Trent were on tonight I don't know but they were dreadful. Bayern lay on the floor like a spanish side and the ref was a cunt 

Salah was anonymous apart from one chance when Gini got in his was. 

I fancy us to win over there though. Bayern weren't good at all. Just compact. Oh and Neuer ir a time wasting cunt. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

They can't play like that over there. If they do we will open them up. They stuck to a solid gameplay and unfortunately we had no penetration. Why Shaqiri didn't come on is beyond me. 

Fabinho was excellent. What the fuck Robbo and Trent were on tonight I don't know but they were dreadful. Bayern lay on the floor like a spanish side and the ref was a cunt 

Salah was anonymous apart from one chance when Gini got in his was. 

I fancy us to win over there though. Bayern weren't good at all. Just compact. Oh and Neuer ir a time wasting cunt. 

Trent was very sloppy on the ball.

We looked like a team that haven't played for over a week. The commitment and will was there but the cohesion and attacking link-up play never really sparked as players weren't quite on the same wavelength, and the shooting was generally appalling. We have seen this a few times this season when the team has a relatively long gap between games. It's one reason why I think going deep in the domestic cup helps with cohesion, even if the starting XIs are changed.

Another issue we've had with these warm weather excursions is that a few players have come back with illnesses. Game though they are, the ability to keep their level up for 90 minutes isn't there, and the worry must always be at the back of their minds that they might gets the shits or need to puke up during the game.

Bayern didn't come out to do anything more than keep it tight, but that's our problem to get around, not theirs.

We are capable of scoring and winning at their place, but just as in 1981, we only need a scoring draw. We shouldn't play the second leg with that target in mind, but we will definitely need far greater cohesion and composure in attack in addition to being solid and resolute at the back. Both have been beyond us away from home in Europe this season, and I hope we don't start with a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner in that game because it has been a very ineffectual combo away from home, neither helping the defence or the attack.

The return leg is where Ram Man will make the difference.

12 minutes ago, therevivalist said:

A draw in Munich too, going to penalties. Nuer against Allison would be a hard call but the German would edge it. But I get consolation in the fact that Liverpool traditionally are ace away in Europe.

That can only happen if it's 0-0 after extra time. Any scoring draw and we're through.