You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (H) Champions League. Last 16 (19/2/19)

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

We'd need to be better in midfield.

Have to disagree with that, thought all three in midfield played well tonight.

The front three, and the fact that we were quite cautious and didnt throw too many bodies forwards were the main reasons we never scored. And of course the quality of the opposition.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

Utd are in form and high on confidence. I'd expect us to drop points. I just hope City will drop more.

Disagree. They’ve been exposed against the two top sides (Spurs and PSG) they’ve played under Solskjaer and ended up with one of the most fortuitous wins in football history and a resounding defeat. I’m glad that we're playing them in high confidence and not as a wounded animal, which was my concern before they played Chelsea.

14 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Does a 0-0 give us confidence going into the weekend?

In a way it does Fabinho is just an all round brilliant footballer he will slot in midfield and VVD is back. Midfield looks good for a change Gini is so important to us and Henderson first half was really good so think a lot rest on him/keitas performance on Sunday.

Frustrating.

But they are an excellent side who are very clever too.

Gnabry, Kimmich and Hummels are superb.

Felt like we were always just not quite at it despite us putting in a big shift - seen it before following these breaks and against a team as good as they are you need to be at sharpest.

Was a proper game though and hopefully sets us up for the vermin at weekend.

As far as this tie goes i think we are probably going to get edged out now, but it is going to be very tight and if we are at our best and can counter well we will be in with a big shout.

I thought we put in a proper shift as a side tonight but lacked the sharpness needed and nous to break a very, very good unit down.

Shite second half. Completely played into the hands of these time-wasting fannies, allowing them to play exactly the game they wanted. Absolutely despise these long breaks. Anyone who keep banging on the myth about how getting kicked out of cup competitions plays into our favour league-wise can do one. We are a vastly better team with a good rhythm of games.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It'll be difficult to go through from here, but not impossible. 

Bayern will be a bit braver in the second leg and there'll be more gaps to exploit. 

They were composed and efficient, whereas we looked a bit rushed and sloppy at times. 

Their back four were excellent, for me. Very, very disciplined. 

They were but we had some very good chances especially Mane.

We rode our luck for 20 mins at the back but we should have won that I thought

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

If Salah hadn't had a poor game, we'd have scored. He's our cutting edge. 

Bayern did defend well, though. Kimmich out second leg is big. 

Agree with this.

I think we're (marginally) in the better position going into the second game. Our best player to return and one of theirs will be out. Our defense will be much better with VVD in and Fabinho in the midfield and that means if we score we should go through.

We just need to take one or two of our chances, which I think you'd have to say is likely. We won't have another game that off in front of goal again IMO.