You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bayern Munich (H) Champions League. Last 16 (19/2/19)

Bjornebye

Looking increasingly likely Lovren will miss this (not attending the training camp).

In that case:

-------------------Allison-------------

Trent------Matip-----Fabinho----Robbo

--------------------Wijnaldum---------------

-----------Milner/Hendo-----Keita-----------

Salah------------Firmino-------------Mane---

I actually think we'll beat them handsomely. They won't be able to tackle our energy and pace, as their CB's are way past their best (even Alaba has regressed imo). Crucial that we don't let Thiago pull the strings in midfield, and that we swarm all over them for the first 20-25 mins. 

Guessing they'll line up something like:

-------------------Neuer------------------

Kimmich--Boateng--Hummels--Alaba

---------Goretzka-----Thiago----------

--Coman------James------Ribery---

---------------Lewandowski-----------

That's about the slowest side remaining in the competition, which is a huge advantage for us. They are used to having most of the ball, and are normally pretty daring in how high their line is. If (big if of course, as they are pretty good on the ball) we can get a couple of breaks early on I think they will shit their pants. Neuer's sweeper-keeping not as good as it used to be either (if he plays at all).

Can't wait for this one, even if I agree that the league is the main course this year, this is a nice dessert. I think we can afford to take it seriously as well, seeing that we've got no other commitments (unlike City). 

Their team is better than ours... Neuer, Alaba, Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Thiago, Rodriguez, Ribery, Robben, Lewandowski. These are no joke. 

The idea that we're just going to blitz them doesn't make any sense. They don't get blitzed by anyone. And we haven't produced a performance in the Champions League this season that would warrant that optimism. The fans need to be 100% up for this if we're to progress. The atmosphere has to be like City in the quarters.

• Upvote 2

Do what we've done well all season and none of the things we haven't. Oh, and if we feel like going on a tear-up like last year's European campaign. That'd be most welcome.

10 years ago, we bummed Real Madrid 4-0 before stuffing the Mancs 4-1 at their place.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Do what we've done well all season and none of the things we haven't. Oh, and if we feel like going on a tear-up like last year's European campaign. That'd be most welcome.

10 years ago, we bummed Real Madrid 4-0 before stuffing the Mancs 4-1 at their place.

So you're saying Moreno will definitely score a belter in each??

3 hours ago, Boss said:

Their team is better than ours... Neuer, Alaba, Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Thiago, Rodriguez, Ribery, Robben, Lewandowski. These are no joke. 

The idea that we're just going to blitz them doesn't make any sense. They don't get blitzed by anyone. And we haven't produced a performance in the Champions League this season that would warrant that optimism. The fans need to be 100% up for this if we're to progress. The atmosphere has to be like City in the quarters.

No doubt there are some great names there, and playing at their peak they would represent an almighty task. The three bolded ones are the only ones producing something resembling their best atm though, and are also the only ones I'd consider putting into our team (in a 4-3-3 at least). Robben and Ribery are still capable of magic moments, but no way I'd swap Mane/Salah for them.

We actually did just that (I know it was a friendly, but still) a couple of years ago, and they never knew what hit them. Several of the same players were shellshocked by our tempo, and judging by their results in the BL this year, they're still capable of falling apart against teams that press them. 

What they've got going for them is an enthusiastic home crowd (much like us) which when they smell blood really make their team turn it on. Hopefully we'll have settled the tie before we get there, as our side has looked some way off the mean away machines they were last year.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SammyAftershave said:

Kimmich, while being an excellent footballer, is an extremely accomplished, arlarsed, snidey cunt who manages to leave something on his opponent in EVERY challenge seldom being spoken too by the Ref never mind booked. I'd love him here, the dirty cunt.

He looks a good right back but an average centre mid IMO.

38 minutes ago, SammyAftershave said:

Kimmich, while being an excellent footballer, is an extremely accomplished, arlarsed, snidey cunt who manages to leave something on his opponent in EVERY challenge seldom being spoken too by the Ref never mind booked. I'd love him here, the dirty cunt.

I’m really looking forward to the battle between him and Mané. 

Hoping to see us go up a few gears in the coming weeks, start playing a high press and just suffocate teams. We’ve got the talent and tactical acumen to blow teams away, I hope the more conservative style we’ve employed for much of the season means we’ve got plenty of gas left in the tank for the final run in. 

Come me the fuck on you redmen 

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, Boss said:

The idea that we're just going to blitz them doesn't make any sense. They don't get blitzed by anyone. 

They are probably better on paper and they'll surely up their game compared to their league form, but I think we're the better team collectively. Klopp>Kovac by a long way. The latter hasn't yet instilled much in the way of style in his time there.