You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish history books

Lee909

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Lee have you watched this documentary on BBC Four this evening? Spotlight on the troubles? 

Half way through it now on IPlayer. Its the first of 7. 

I only caught the end of it, thought it was pretty interesting and will watch next week. The paratroopers being described as hooligans 2 weeks before bloody sunday, also Marty filmed helping with a bomb and showing off guns to a bunch of 12 year olds. 

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Lee have you watched this documentary on BBC Four this evening? Spotlight on the troubles? 

Half way through it now on IPlayer. Its the first of 7. 

I only caught the tail end of this. What I saw was really good. The archive footage of a soldier being asked whether he enjoyed being a soldier was brilliant. He did a double-take before asking whether the interviewer was serious and bursting out laughing. 

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

William Tecumseh Sherman

7 hours ago, A Red said:

I only caught the end of it, thought it was pretty interesting and will watch next week. The paratroopers being described as hooligans 2 weeks before bloody sunday, also Marty filmed helping with a bomb and showing off guns to a bunch of 12 year olds. 

Paisley funding terrorist attacks as well.

All of last nights is on IPlayer if you missed the start. 

On 11/09/2019 at 16:14, Bjornebye said:

Paisley funding terrorist attacks as well.

All of last nights is on IPlayer if you missed the start. 

Haven't seen it, did it say where he got the funds? I wouldn't have thought a man of god would be flush. His son on the other hand knows which side his better is buttered. 

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Haven't seen it, did it say where he got the funds? I wouldn't have thought a man of god would be flush. His son on the other hand knows which side his better is buttered. 

A few 'bob' in the tin on a Sunday worked on both sides clearly. 

• 10 months later...
31 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Terribly sad news John Hume has died. 

Desperatly sad. Our greatest ever Irishman, for me. As this is a book thread, The book “John Hume In his own words” is a very good read. All Nationalism in Ireland doesn’t have to be about shooting people. The political process that ended in the GFA is a beacon to the world that compromise and peace can be achieved without giving up your core beliefs. And that politics and some politicians are worth their weight in gold. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As a Derry man I'm biased but in my opinion he's definitely the greatest Irishman.

What he did for our city and the whole country will never be forgotten.

An absolute gentleman. His lasting legacy is a peace process that's saved countless lives in the past 20 odd years and gave hope to a better future here for everyone.

What a cruel twist of fate that dementia took hold of him in his latter years.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Desperatly sad. Our greatest ever Irishman, for me. As this is a book thread, The book “John Hume In his own words” is a very good read. All Nationalism in Ireland doesn’t have to be about shooting people. The political process that ended in the GFA is a beacon to the world that compromise and peace can be achieved without giving up your core beliefs. And that politics and some politicians are worth their weight in gold. 

Think I’ve mentioned before on here I’m related to Michael Collins, my grampher was also a prominent member of the Irish Labour Party. 

I was totally gutted hearing the news this morning.