Sign in to follow this  
Creator Supreme

Emiliano Sala

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

With any luck he passed out quickly and unaware of anything bad happening. 

I think his message to his father shows that not to be the case.

The two clubs should both take responsibility - the reason they are not is they know a civil action is in the wings for whichever club "owned" him at that time.

On 20/06/2019 at 08:02, dave u said:

Just read it was David Henderson arrested, he's the pilot who was originally hired but couldn't do it.

A man has pleaded guilty to a charge relating to the flight in which footballer Emiliano Sala died.

David Henderson, 67, admitted trying to arrange a flight for a passenger without permission or authorisation.

The plane carrying 28-year-old Sala and pilot David Ibbotson crashed into the English Channel in January 2019.

Henderson of Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire, will go on trial after denying a separate charge of endangering the safety of an aircraft.

Some light aircraft have pressure seals and oxygen, most don't. Some have anti-icing equipment, most don't. 

This crash is a classic example of get-there-itis. Unfortunately, the pilot was under huge pressure financially and professionally to get his cargo to the UK. Weather was utterly shocking and the plane wasn't a great deal better. He should never have taken off, but to shoulder him with all the responsibility for this crash is unfair. 

There has for many years been a grey area between commercial operations and private. It's akin to a mate asking you to drive one of their mates somewhere for £50. It's illegal, but if you're "only covering the cost of the fuel", is it? 

David Ibbotson piloted the plane. He was a very experienced pilot with a lapsed Instrument Rating. Lapsed isn't necessarily relevant. Imagine your MOT certificate being a few years out of date. The car could still be completely operational and pass a test the next day, if you could be arsed taking it. His mate Henderson has plead guilty to organising the flight and I'm almost certain the issue of what constitutes a commercial flight will be raised, and hopefully clarified. Ibbotson should have refused to fly that fateful evening, but had he not, someone else would have. There may well be a parallel with a large drug dealer getting a "mule" to import drugs. Who's to blame? The "mule"? 

If the plane hadn't been leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin, they'd likely still be here. Had it been fitted with a decent, functioning CO monitor/alarm, they'd likely still be here. I suspect ice, but it's difficult to prove it was a factor. There should have been no pressure on Ibbotson to attempt that flight. He should definitely have made a different choice, but that's easy to say in hindsight. 

Whatever the outcome, two people who should not have died, did so in a dreadful way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 19/10/2021 at 10:13, rb14 said:

Some light aircraft have pressure seals and oxygen, most don't. Some have anti-icing equipment, most don't. 

This crash is a classic example of get-there-itis. Unfortunately, the pilot was under huge pressure financially and professionally to get his cargo to the UK. Weather was utterly shocking and the plane wasn't a great deal better. He should never have taken off, but to shoulder him with all the responsibility for this crash is unfair. 

There has for many years been a grey area between commercial operations and private. It's akin to a mate asking you to drive one of their mates somewhere for £50. It's illegal, but if you're "only covering the cost of the fuel", is it? 

David Ibbotson piloted the plane. He was a very experienced pilot with a lapsed Instrument Rating. Lapsed isn't necessarily relevant. Imagine your MOT certificate being a few years out of date. The car could still be completely operational and pass a test the next day, if you could be arsed taking it. His mate Henderson has plead guilty to organising the flight and I'm almost certain the issue of what constitutes a commercial flight will be raised, and hopefully clarified. Ibbotson should have refused to fly that fateful evening, but had he not, someone else would have. There may well be a parallel with a large drug dealer getting a "mule" to import drugs. Who's to blame? The "mule"? 

If the plane hadn't been leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin, they'd likely still be here. Had it been fitted with a decent, functioning CO monitor/alarm, they'd likely still be here. I suspect ice, but it's difficult to prove it was a factor. There should have been no pressure on Ibbotson to attempt that flight. He should definitely have made a different choice, but that's easy to say in hindsight. 

Whatever the outcome, two people who should not have died, did so in a dreadful way. 

I wasn't aware of the carbon dioxide issue. That is extremely significant.

21 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wasn't aware of the carbon dioxide issue. That is extremely significant.

I understand the post-mortem on Sala found incapacitating levels of CO in his blood. On most planes, for obvious reasons, hot air is drawn from the engine area. It was very cold that night. As I've mentioned above, without a decent, reliable CO alarm in the cabin...