You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emiliano Sala

Creator Supreme

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

With any luck he passed out quickly and unaware of anything bad happening. 

I think his message to his father shows that not to be the case.

The two clubs should both take responsibility - the reason they are not is they know a civil action is in the wings for whichever club "owned" him at that time.

• 2 years later...
On 20/06/2019 at 08:02, dave u said:

Just read it was David Henderson arrested, he's the pilot who was originally hired but couldn't do it.

A man has pleaded guilty to a charge relating to the flight in which footballer Emiliano Sala died.

David Henderson, 67, admitted trying to arrange a flight for a passenger without permission or authorisation.

The plane carrying 28-year-old Sala and pilot David Ibbotson crashed into the English Channel in January 2019.

Henderson of Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire, will go on trial after denying a separate charge of endangering the safety of an aircraft.

Some light aircraft have pressure seals and oxygen, most don't. Some have anti-icing equipment, most don't. 

This crash is a classic example of get-there-itis. Unfortunately, the pilot was under huge pressure financially and professionally to get his cargo to the UK. Weather was utterly shocking and the plane wasn't a great deal better. He should never have taken off, but to shoulder him with all the responsibility for this crash is unfair. 

There has for many years been a grey area between commercial operations and private. It's akin to a mate asking you to drive one of their mates somewhere for £50. It's illegal, but if you're "only covering the cost of the fuel", is it? 

David Ibbotson piloted the plane. He was a very experienced pilot with a lapsed Instrument Rating. Lapsed isn't necessarily relevant. Imagine your MOT certificate being a few years out of date. The car could still be completely operational and pass a test the next day, if you could be arsed taking it. His mate Henderson has plead guilty to organising the flight and I'm almost certain the issue of what constitutes a commercial flight will be raised, and hopefully clarified. Ibbotson should have refused to fly that fateful evening, but had he not, someone else would have. There may well be a parallel with a large drug dealer getting a "mule" to import drugs. Who's to blame? The "mule"? 

If the plane hadn't been leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin, they'd likely still be here. Had it been fitted with a decent, functioning CO monitor/alarm, they'd likely still be here. I suspect ice, but it's difficult to prove it was a factor. There should have been no pressure on Ibbotson to attempt that flight. He should definitely have made a different choice, but that's easy to say in hindsight. 

Whatever the outcome, two people who should not have died, did so in a dreadful way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 19/10/2021 at 10:13, rb14 said:

Some light aircraft have pressure seals and oxygen, most don't. Some have anti-icing equipment, most don't. 

This crash is a classic example of get-there-itis. Unfortunately, the pilot was under huge pressure financially and professionally to get his cargo to the UK. Weather was utterly shocking and the plane wasn't a great deal better. He should never have taken off, but to shoulder him with all the responsibility for this crash is unfair. 

There has for many years been a grey area between commercial operations and private. It's akin to a mate asking you to drive one of their mates somewhere for £50. It's illegal, but if you're "only covering the cost of the fuel", is it? 

David Ibbotson piloted the plane. He was a very experienced pilot with a lapsed Instrument Rating. Lapsed isn't necessarily relevant. Imagine your MOT certificate being a few years out of date. The car could still be completely operational and pass a test the next day, if you could be arsed taking it. His mate Henderson has plead guilty to organising the flight and I'm almost certain the issue of what constitutes a commercial flight will be raised, and hopefully clarified. Ibbotson should have refused to fly that fateful evening, but had he not, someone else would have. There may well be a parallel with a large drug dealer getting a "mule" to import drugs. Who's to blame? The "mule"? 

If the plane hadn't been leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin, they'd likely still be here. Had it been fitted with a decent, functioning CO monitor/alarm, they'd likely still be here. I suspect ice, but it's difficult to prove it was a factor. There should have been no pressure on Ibbotson to attempt that flight. He should definitely have made a different choice, but that's easy to say in hindsight. 

Whatever the outcome, two people who should not have died, did so in a dreadful way. 

I wasn't aware of the carbon dioxide issue. That is extremely significant.

21 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wasn't aware of the carbon dioxide issue. That is extremely significant.

I understand the post-mortem on Sala found incapacitating levels of CO in his blood. On most planes, for obvious reasons, hot air is drawn from the engine area. It was very cold that night. As I've mentioned above, without a decent, reliable CO alarm in the cabin... 

• 10 months later...

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not sure mate someone just sent me that reddit link. You have to wonder why the pilot still flew considering he was already terrified himself. 

I haven't listened to this yet and it's still dropping episodes. But I imagine it comes from here. It's supposed to be very good. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0cqr5cz?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Confirmation that Cardiff acted like total and utter twats from day one, think they only very recently paid the first installment of his transfer fee after all kinds of shenanigans as well (such as trying to claim Nantes had sold them a dud). 

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

Confirmation that Cardiff acted like total and utter twats from day one, think they only very recently paid the first installment of his transfer fee after all kinds of shenanigans as well (such as trying to claim Nantes had sold them a dud). 

They only paid the first installment as they got placed under a transfer embargo for not paying it