You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Offside goal played on the mind of the referee

tlw content

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes a offside goal which was not seen by the linesman played on the mind of referee Kevin Friend leading to some odd officiating in the second half in the Reds' 1-1 draw against West Ham on Monday night.

Sadio Mane scored the opening goal in the 22nd minute, his third in as many matches and his first league goal away from home since September 1st against Leicester.

However, that lead only lasted six minutes when Felipe Anderson and Michail Antonio combined to take advantage of a flat footed Liverpool defence which saw the winger break away into some open space and slide the ball home for the equaliser.

The 28 year-old has been a real talisman for the Hammers against Liverpool with the strike being his fourth in just five meetings against the Reds, by far his best return against any top flight club.

However it was the Mane goal which sparked all the conversation post match, with James Milner appearing to be in a offside position in the lead-up to the opener.

It was something that Klopp was made aware of after the game and he had a theory that the referee found out about it during the break.

Sky Sports reported the manager as saying.

This explains a little bit the second half, because I think the referee knew at half-time.

" He knew it for sure at half-time, and then you saw a lot of strange situations. 

"They were not decisive but just rhythm breakers. That obviously didn't help us.

"If I've made a mistake in the first half, I don't want to open the gap even more as a human being."

The 1-1 draw was the second successive time that Liverpool had been held in a week

On the face of it, the result against a mid table team is a very average result for a club in Liverpool's current position 

While most would have banked on a comfortable away win, there were some setbacks which caused Klopp to re-jig his line-up on the eve of the game.

Captain Jordan Henderson (muscular injury )and Gini Wijnaldum (knee)were late withdrawals, while Milner had not trained for four days due to a virus.

It led to a very rare start for Adam Lallana in midfield where he was joined by Naby Keita and Fabinho.

Liga-Inggris-Liverpool-West-Ham-United-Jurgen-Klopp.jpg

Klopp said it was hardly the preparation that the team needed heading into the clash.

"Last night we trained and after we had to change three positions."

"It's just a fact, it's not an excuse. The preparation for the game was far from being perfect and we still got a point."

Klopp has been steadfast in keeping everyone on a even keel and maintaining the positive mindset up which served the team so well in the first half of the game.

It is message which Milner, who is undoubtedly the 'wise old head' of the squad having been in this situation in his time with Man City is a believer in, saying that the result was ' a point gained.'

For his part Klopp knows the performance was well below par, and well is aware that we have reached a part of the season where the spotlight will be shone fairly and squarely on his players.believes they can overcome their small blip in the weeks ahead.

"We have to accept that [the pressure]. We have to perform better. That's all I'm interested in and concerned about.

A couple of players didn't play at the highest level tonight, but it's happened before and it'll happen again. 

"We will deal with that."

As for the accusation by West Ham captain Mark Noble that Liverpool were scared by West Ham, the manager had the perfect response.

"It was just a normal away game. I don’t know him [Noble] really well so I don’t know why he speaks about us after a game like that.

"I wish for West Ham fans that Mark Noble and his team would scare more teams and not only us tonight.

Time to look ahead to a massive game against Bournemouth on Saturday.

View full article

Noble actually spoke well about us...but he picked up on the nerves thing/talked about how watching us v Leicester he could sense it too - from crowd too.

That is sadly the narrative around us now and we are feeding it - we need a good result and performance to change it as it will continue to be the narrative as the race intensifies - and lets face it is true.

The last two matches have been virtually identical. Score an opening goal, concede a goal from an indirect free-kick and then watch as the team passes the ball side to side in the hope that eventually we will pass the ball into the net. Meanwhile the opposition set up a ten man defensive unit to prevent a goal being scored and try their best to score a goal on the counter-attack. This is pretty much the same pattern that happened last season. Unless this team can get back to scoring 2 or 3 goals to make the opposition change their tactics, this pattern will continue as it clearly works for them.

14 minutes ago, Captain said:

It only works because half our defense is gone and we've started shipping goals.

That's said like it's a surprise that we have lost half our defence. If we aren't able to keep clean sheets because of it, surely our gameplan should be changed so that we aren't relying so much on our defence. The game against Palace was a nervy affair but we banged in goals while knowing that we were conceding them. Until our defence is back up and running, this really should be the game plan.

Jurgen looked beleaguered last night. He would have been better off not getting involved with Pellegrini and the referee at the end. If either team should feel hard done by, it's probably West Ham.

That said, Pellegrini can do one with his 'Klopp used to getting offside decisions' comments and go back to looking 450 years old. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I agree with Klopp.  We got fuck all from the officials once they realised they'd fucked up for the opener and they overcompensated, giving West Ham everything.

It wasn’t that bad. Getting a goal start really fucked us up is pathetic. Origi should  have taken the second gift at the death. 

Klopp needs to get a grip 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

It wasn’t that bad. Getting a goal start really fucked us up is pathetic. Origi should  have taken the second gift at the death. 

Klopp needs to get a grip 

I don't think he needs to get a grip at all.  It was definitely a factor, in my opinion, and I'm glad he's said something about it. I don't think you can say that it was decisive in terms of the result - all of the bad decision making and sloppy execution from our lads contributed more to that - but I was thinking the same thing as Jurgen during the game.

They made a bad call and spent the rest of the game overcompensating in West Ham's favour.  

And Kevin Friend has a really fuckin' smackable face.  Smug prick, I hate him.   

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So... we got fuck all, apart from a goal?

Well duh... he's talking about what happened after the goal, but you knew that. 

Just because we benefited from their incompetence in one instance, it doesn't make it okay for them to overcompensate for the rest of the game.  It's a valid point from Jurgen.  

Excuse the Evertonian-like take on this, but I agree 100 pct with Klopp on this, and have been doing for some time. The narrative that we've been lucky with decisions this year is clearly bullshit too. The two biggest breaks we've got has got nothing to do with refereeing. Our rivals can thank Mahrez and Pickford for those.

The reffing in our last few games have been absolutely shocking (even going back to the Burnley game Gomez got his foot nearly taken off). The "good breaks" we've had have been completely inconsequential (maybe Salah's against Newcastle could be argued, possibly the non-call in the dying moments against Spurs). 

The stonewaller last week, the missing red cards for both Kompany and Maguire and a pathetic performance again last night. The West Ham defenders kept clattering into our forwards all night, think we might have gotten 1 free kick. On the other side everything was given against Matip and co. Don't even get me started on the lack of yellows for stopping our counters.

Our goal was of course offside, luckily for us Friend didn't spot it, he would have surely given the offside as well.

List over referees most likely to fuck us over in the coming weeks

1. Taylor (now appointed for the Bournemouth game, I was pretty sure he'd get the OT game). How hard could it be to get a referee that's not from Manchester to do our games? Had a shocker against us at the Etihad, another good chance to impact the proceedings now.

2. Dean (see Leicester). Will 100 pct get another of our away gigs in the next month.

3. Atkinson (will most likely take centre stage at OT)

4. Friend (will no doubt get one or two more of our games now)

There seems to be an opinion that these refs are less likely to let the crowd influence them. The manner in which all three wave away penalty claims, relish dishing out cards to our players are doing my head in. 

I doubt we'll see someone like Oliver any time soon, as he's mostly been having sound games when reffing us.

No doubt we should be playing better and scoring more, sometimes though, you need a bit of help from the officiating crew to let the game take it's due course.

• Upvote 1