You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How Big Is Your Music Collection?

Anubis

I’m not really that musically inclined, so I was surprised when I did a quick CD count yesterday and found that I have over a hundred CDs.

I was wondering how that fared generally and how big everyone else’s collection is. I know TK is Rob Gordon, but what about the rest of you?

• Upvote 1

Not massive, 500+ CDs at a guess and a few dozen LPs. My CDs have been boxed up for 2 years, since we moved and I haven't had anywhere to put them. We then decided to switch to Spotify but it really isn't the same, I miss physical music.

Someday soon (when I have a proper place for it) I'll inherit my Dad's record collection, 300+ LPs from the 70s and 80s including Bowie, The Clash, Buzzcocks, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m not really that musically inclined, so I was surprised when I did a quick CD count yesterday and found that I have over a hundred CDs.

I was wondering how that fared generally and how big everyone else’s collection is. I know TK is Rob Gordon, but what about the rest of you?

Cd’s and digital audio files don’t count.

they are not a music collection, they are a collection of 0/1s.

sorry, this was an audio geek version of Bluetooth smashing the guitar on the stair in animal house 

3 minutes ago, fuckhead said:

Cd’s and digital audio files don’t count.

they are not a music collection, they are a collection of 0/1s.

sorry, this was an audio geek version of Bluetooth smashing the guitar on the stair in animal house 

Somebody rep this, it’s awesome and i’ve got sun stroke / estrella poisoning

About 500 CDs. I've got 2 iPods with about 40000 songs on them, backed up onto 3 portable hard drives, and a further  (hooky) Spotify premium account.

I've got a bunch of cassettes hanging around too (although I haven't had a cassettes deck for yonks) and an old suitcase somewhere which is stuffed with old vinyl. Haven't had a turntable in decades.

No idea how many cd's I've got and I've not bought any for years as I just stream now. I converted mine to upload into apple and later years ago and I've got about 15k tracks uploaded, but I didn't convert everything as it was just too much. I used to buy all kinds when I was younger though, I would buy half a dozen or more cd's a month. 

I post on a couple of music forums & there are boys on there who've had to build extensions on to their house for vinyl/CDs, their wives must fucking hate them.

My missus is always moaning at me for buying CDs, usually 3 or 4 a month.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mook said:

I post on a couple of music forums & there are boys on there who've had to build extensions on to their house for vinyl/CDs, their wives must fucking hate them.

Find a way to make shoes out of the cases, she'll be over the moon.

I’ve got a couple of thousand pieces of vinyl (LP, 12”, 7” & a couple on 10”) and used to have several hundred CDs. However, I ripped the CDs to iTunes when I reluctantly went totally digital about 5-6 years ago and ditched nearly all of the physical discs. 

After that, it’s all just borrowed music anyway when you’re on Spotify and the like, so what’s the point of counting? I’ve got songs numbered roughly in the tens of thousands on Apple Music, though. 

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

Gilles Peterson literally has an entire house just for his vinyl. His record label is named after the road it’s in (Brownswood). He often  has live performances in the basement and garden which he sticks online so there’s loads of footage of what he’s got. Every single room has floor to ceiling shelving full of vinyl. There’s also shelves on the stairs/landing and in the hall. Incredible stuff. 

Just now, Paul said:

Gilles Peterson literally has an entire house just for his vinyl. His record label is named after the road it’s in (Brownswood). He often  has live performances in the basement and garden which he sticks online so there’s loads of footage of what he’s got. Every single room has floor to ceiling shelving full of vinyl. There’s also shelves on the stairs/landing and in the hall. Incredible stuff. 

Shall I send him an invite to a torrent site and sort him a Spotify subscription? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

That's hoarding and he needs help. 

51 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

No idea how many cd's I've got and I've not bought any for years as I just stream now. I converted mine to upload into apple and later years ago and I've got about 15k tracks uploaded, but I didn't convert everything as it was just too much. I used to buy all kinds when I was younger though, I would buy half a dozen or more cd's a month. 

Yeah. My mind boggles when I think of what I used to spend. £150 a month was not unusual. I used to get freebies and discount from Fat City Records in Manchester because I was such a good customer. Now I pay fifteen quid for Apple Music and the whole family gets it for that. 

57 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The reason I think many move away from physical media is one purely of space. Two of my mates run their own indie record label (White Sulfur) and one of them has had to give up 2 rooms in his house to vinyl, one for the business stock and one for his own personal collection.

People who can’t Beatmix love digital as the CPU does the hard work for you. I was shit at beat mixing (and still am really) as I loved getting fucking smashed in eccys just that 1% more than dj’ing. I got kicked out the baa bar for playing too heavy, and fello asleep at my own do and knocked the technics over.

all said, I still know

Vinyl Rules Digital Fools!

i need to go to bed