Quantcast
Goals from outside the box - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Carvalho Diablo

Goals from outside the box

Does anyone have any stats about the numbers of goals we've scored from outside the box, as a percentage of the total number of goals we've scored and in comparison to the other teams in the Prem? 

To my mind at least, it seems like we score very very few of these and it's a real area of weakness and a cause for concern. 

Would love to see our midfielders chip in more.  

• Upvote 1

Agree, this has completely dried up in recent years. 

Gini is one of the worst for it. Had loads of opportunities to have a go on Wednesday, but seemed to move the ball wide instead. Maybe they're under instructions? Does seem strange how we hardly ever shoot from range any more. 

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Does anyone have any stats about the numbers of goals we've scored from outside the box, as a percentage of the total number of goals we've scored and in comparison to the other teams in the Prem? 

To my mind at least, it seems like we score very very few of these and it's a real area of weakness and a cause for concern. 

Would love to see our midfielders chip in more.  

I was getting pissed off the other night especially in the 2nd half. Its like we have turned into the Arsenal of 15 years ago. Trying to play too much and not taking shooting chances earlier. Other than Shaqiri (and AOC when fit) none of our midfielders seem to be able to shoot anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Wiji and Henderson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn -- Fabinho has tried a couple. TBH surprised Van Dijk hasn't buried one.

Agreed about Van Dijk. Had a belting shot on him at Celtic. Scored over 10 goals one season. 

Sturridge has a go when he plays but they generally end up in row Z.

Shaqiri is capable of getting a few but doesn't pull the trigger much.

Been banging on about this for ages. 

It let's teams sit deep and not push out to block shots. It's a big issue imo. Say what you want about Coutinho, he forced teams to step up to try a lnfd block the shots opening up space 

• Upvote 6

Never known a time before when we haven't had players who can do it.

To name just a few that spring to mind

70's Jimmy Case/Terry McDermott

80's Graeme Souness/Steve McMahon

90's Patrik Berger/Jamie Redknapp

00's Steven Gerrard/Xabi Alonso

10's Coutinho

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wiji and Henderson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn 

58 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Klopps probably sacked them off after seeing Hendersons shots. 

21 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In Scotland. 

The pace and accuracy with which a player strikes a ball has fuck all to do with the area-code. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The pace and accuracy with which a player strikes a ball has fuck all to do with the area-code. 

The amount of time, the defending and keeping does though

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The ability of the defenders and keeper to do something about it has a lot to do with the quality of the league. 

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Never known a time before when we haven't had players who can do it.

To name just a few that spring to mind

70's Jimmy Case/Terry McDermott

80's Graeme Souness/Steve McMahon

90's Patrik Berger/Jamie Redknapp

00's Steven Gerrard/Xabi Alonso

10's Coutinho

I'd add Suarez to the 2010 list

luis-suarez-goal-c.gif

luis-suarez-goal-d.gif

Just about to get some stuff done, so don't have time to give a detailed response just now, so I'll just ask the question, would you rather we score more goals from outside the area, or score more goals in total?

8 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Just about to get some stuff done, so don't have time to give a detailed response just now, so I'll just ask the question, would you rather we score more goals from outside the area, or score more goals in total?

Fewer goals but all direct from throw ins. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Obviously more goals in total. But in those games where we're struggling to breakdown the parked bus, it would be nice to have the ability to lash one in from distance. I'm not sure we currently have anyone who can do this.

I reckon Woolster is getting at a statistical correlation between goals scored from a shooting opportunity outside the box and when that ball is passed instead. 

I'm guessing the latter yields more goals.