You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goals from outside the box

Carvalho Diablo

Does anyone have any stats about the numbers of goals we've scored from outside the box, as a percentage of the total number of goals we've scored and in comparison to the other teams in the Prem? 

To my mind at least, it seems like we score very very few of these and it's a real area of weakness and a cause for concern. 

Would love to see our midfielders chip in more.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Does anyone have any stats about the numbers of goals we've scored from outside the box, as a percentage of the total number of goals we've scored and in comparison to the other teams in the Prem? 

To my mind at least, it seems like we score very very few of these and it's a real area of weakness and a cause for concern. 

Would love to see our midfielders chip in more.  

I was getting pissed off the other night especially in the 2nd half. Its like we have turned into the Arsenal of 15 years ago. Trying to play too much and not taking shooting chances earlier. Other than Shaqiri (and AOC when fit) none of our midfielders seem to be able to shoot anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Wiji and Henderson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn -- Fabinho has tried a couple. TBH surprised Van Dijk hasn't buried one.

Agreed about Van Dijk. Had a belting shot on him at Celtic. Scored over 10 goals one season. 

Never known a time before when we haven't had players who can do it.

To name just a few that spring to mind

70's Jimmy Case/Terry McDermott

80's Graeme Souness/Steve McMahon

90's Patrik Berger/Jamie Redknapp

00's Steven Gerrard/Xabi Alonso

10's Coutinho

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Never known a time before when we haven't had players who can do it.

To name just a few that spring to mind

70's Jimmy Case/Terry McDermott

80's Graeme Souness/Steve McMahon

90's Patrik Berger/Jamie Redknapp

00's Steven Gerrard/Xabi Alonso

10's Coutinho

I'd add Suarez to the 2010 list

luis-suarez-goal-c.gif

luis-suarez-goal-d.gif

8 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Just about to get some stuff done, so don't have time to give a detailed response just now, so I'll just ask the question, would you rather we score more goals from outside the area, or score more goals in total?

Fewer goals but all direct from throw ins. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

Just about to get some stuff done, so don't have time to give a detailed response just now, so I'll just ask the question, would you rather we score more goals from outside the area, or score more goals in total?

Obviously more goals in total. But in those games where we're struggling to breakdown the parked bus, it would be nice to have the ability to lash one in from distance. I'm not sure we currently have anyone who can do this.