You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (A) 4/2/19 - Match Thread

Bjornebye

Went to bed after Leicester game pissed off but woke up feeling not so bad and put it down to one of those results that every title chasing or even winning team have.

Went to bed after this one deeply pissed off and concerned about our bottle, our squad/injuries and our ability to cope with what lies ahead - woke up even more pissed off, especially with the total gimme city have on Weds.

In space of 7 days we have gone from having chance to go 7 pts clear to almost certainly being 2nd.....and we look shot as a team/devoid of confidence and ideas.

It's over, it's done, it was nice while it lasted.

The old teams would have probably pissed it from this situation, but there's no Clemence in goal, no Hansen in defence, and there's certainly no Souness in midfield or Dalglish and Rush up front. And there is definitely no Paisley in the dug out!

Chalk up one for FSG, the kings of mediocrity!

• Downvote 2

A draw against a descent Leicester team is forgivable. Not winning against one of the poorest West Ham teams ever seen is not. They were wide open at the flanks, yet we persisted with trying to play through the middle. Always making the wrong choice and-/or making a poor pass. Defensively we were a joke.

This is as bad as it gets. Everyone, bar Mane, looks to be shaking. Can’t handle the pressure. Even Kloppo has lost his smile. Big, huge, turnaround is necessary.

Bournemouth at home should be a routine win. It’s far from it now.

Until three weeks ago I had convinced myself that this team was different and that this manage was different.

This was not the brittle team of 2014 or the brittle teams under Roy Evans.

Nope this was a team of men and built on the meanest defence in the league. A manage who is a master pf psychology on both his own team and his opponents.

The current state might be a temporary blip (City have had one) but it seems something deeper. We have choked again. if we got a draw at City and we could have been looking to go 10 points clear. All is easy and relaxed and we play our natural game and destroy teams. We got mugged at City. We were given a lifeline again to go 7 points clear and we choke again against two very ordinary teams.

That is not a title winning team.

In the last two games the entire team turned into a frightened version of Ray Wilkins (backward, sidewards, backwards, sidewards) with the exception of Mane.

10 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

A draw against a descent Leicester team is forgivable. Not winning against one of the poorest West Ham teams ever seen is not. They were wide open at the flanks, yet we persisted with trying to play through the middle. Always making the wrong choice and-/or making a poor pass. Defensively we were a joke.

This is as bad as it gets. Everyone, bar Mane, looks to be shaking. Can’t handle the pressure. Even Kloppo has lost his smile. Big, huge, turnaround is necessary.

Bournemouth at home should be a routine win. It’s far from it now.

This theory that West Ham are a shit side is a myth in my opinion. They started the season very poorly with 4 points in their opening 6 games but are on a level with Wolves since. 

They have some good players and a very good manager. With our injuries and lack of form it was one of the toughest fixtures of the season besides the top 6 teams. 

I think the team may have overtrained in the warm weather to set them up for the rest of the season. With illnesses and tiredness it has affected the team in the past 2 games but could be highly beneficial in the run in. City won't get a chance to do anything like that and should struggle to have time for meaningful training between games  especially if they go further in the CL. 

Just a bit of positivity on a shitty Tuesday morning 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Razoray said:

This theory that West Ham are a shit side is a myth in my opinion. They started the season very poorly with 4 points in their opening 6 games but are on a level with Wolves since. 

They have some good players and a very good manager. With our injuries and lack of form it was one of the toughest fixtures of the season besides the top 6 teams. 

I think the team may have overtrained in the warm weather to set them up for the rest of the season. With illnesses and tiredness it has affected the team in the past 2 games but could be highly beneficial in the run in. City won't get a chance to do anything like that and should struggle to have time for meaningful training between games  especially if they go further in the CL. 

The heavy training thing crossed my mind too. Hopefully there's something in it.

6 minutes ago, Razoray said:

In general you're right, but in the context of recent form they are shite. They got battered by Wimbledon and then completely had their pants pulled down by Wolves. That game could have been seven or eight quite easily as Wolves destroyed them.

West Ham were without their best player as well as quite a few others. We made them look good because we were fucking woeful.

17 minutes ago, Razoray said:

This theory that West Ham are a shit side is a myth in my opinion.

Sorry, not having that. West Ham best XI could be a handful. With 10 injuries this was far from it. This was the team that Wimbledon easily scored 4 against the other night. They were wide open at the back, Dons saw it. We couldn’t.

We didnt lose- thats something. City lost to Newcastle.

Its daft, but even I feel the pressure has lifted a little after last night. This whole "top of the league thing" gives teams like West Ham, particularly when its an isolated Monday night game, a bit of extra impetus. If it had been Saturday 3pm we would have beaten them- sounds ridiculous, but the circus the media apply to build it up as make or break clearly effected us.     

If our blip is a couple of draws so be it. Beat Bournemouth and we get moving again.    

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Razoray said:

How many of these great west Ham players could play for Liverpool? 

Mark Noble,  Carroll,  the Mexican midgit that hasn't had a good season in years? 

They're extremely shit   just like Leicester and every other team outside the top six. 

38 minutes ago, Lario said:

I just had a quick look there. It's February 5th, and we're 3 points clear at the top of the league.

I wish we were this shit every season.

Probably understandably, context and perspective go out the window at times like this.

I remember boos at the end of a 0-0 home draw with Fulham (I think) that put us top of the table under Rafa.

The only remedy for all this is a good win on Saturday.

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Probably understandably, context and perspective go out the window at times like this.

I remember boos at the end of a 0-0 home draw with Fulham (I think) that put us top of the table under Rafa.

That thought has crossed my mind a lot over the last few days.  Its ok, it should have been 7 but we're 5 points clear, its ok we're still 3 points clear, its ok we've still got a game in hand. Reminds me a lot of that year with Rafa.

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

It's over, it's done, it was nice while it lasted.

The old teams would have probably pissed it from this situation, but there's no Clemence in goal, no Hansen in defence, and there's certainly no Souness in midfield or Dalglish and Rush up front. And there is definitely no Paisley in the dug out!

Chalk up one for FSG, the kings of mediocrity!

Yes. We're mathematically out of the title race now. 

Obviously. 

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

How many of these great west Ham players could play for Liverpool? 

Mark Noble,  Carroll,  the Mexican midgit that hasn't had a good season in years? 

They're extremely shit   just like Leicester and every other team outside the top six. 

Felipe Anderson and Declan Rice are two really good players. They then have a lot of good players like Fabianski, Cresswell, Noble and Hernandez who are decent. We were lucky Arnautovic wasn't playing as he and nasri are class. They have a very good manager and it's not an easy place to go. Us a few months ago with a full team and we win 0-2. This was us with just over half a team with 2/3rds of our attack playing shite and shaq playing poorly off the bench. Not suprised by the result.

We were lucky last night. We got one more point than we deserved. In theory, we were unlucky against leicester (maguire should have seen red and we should have had a peno) but they outclassed us last wednesday. You could say we are two points better off than we deserve from these two games.

However, we will bounce back and city/spurs will drop points. City have a crazy fixture list and their best players are 30+.

I have us losing to united and drawing with chelsea and everton. Have us winning all the rest of our games though right now that might be optimistic. My feeling is we will be more like ourselves with gini, trent and hopefully joe back. Mo and Bobby are too good to stay on this form. 94 points is what I think we will get. We play alot of shite teams and hopefully can work the goal difference.

• Upvote 1