You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (A) 4/2/19 - Match Thread

Bjornebye

It's all right saying "we're still top of the league" and it's a fair point that we're still in a good position all things considered, but we're either winning the league or it's going to be a huge disappointment. Finishing second would be a decent result if you look at it scientifically but six days ago City lost to Newcastle and we've since put in two dire performances, with our supposedly better players looking out of sorts, and gone from a fairly big favourite with the bookmakers to now being second favourites. It's been a monumentally crushing 5 days, however anybody wants to dress it up. We're going to have to snap put of this ASAP if we're to retain any hope of winning the league. Plus, we've now got two Champions League games on the horizon to negotiate, an increasing injury list, players losing confidence, a tough away fixture to a big rival - it's the worst possible time to start losing momentum. 

Just feeds the whole media narrative about us suffering under pressure even more this.

So bastard frustrating 4 pts in a week dropped and dropped to teams in awful form and dropped in games where there was pressure on us following others playing.

It is just so so so fucking frustrating and feels sadly so fucking familiar.

At best now we probably go to old toilet on 24th needing a result to be top.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TK421 said:

We're not exactly playing like we're going to give someone a pasting. The clear cut chances are drying up and the defensive resolve has gone.

To be fair we’ve had a shitload of injuries and had to change it up. And we’ve still only suffered the one defeat. 

The thing that concerns me is the clear lack of a Plan "B". The subs very rarely make a difference and the style of play doesn't change. Everything is through the middle and its easy to defend. We actually look dangerous when we play it out wide.

It looks great when it works but teams have us worked out. Force everything inside and pack the defence. 

I just wish the front 3 would interchange and give the opposition defenders something to think about, but they just run the same patterns. 

So bastard frustrating!!!

That's it for me, we're not winning this thing. Our first XI with everyone fully fit is a rival for City's, but beneath that there is nothing, players with no spine, no balls and no hope. Origi, Matip, Lovren, Mignolet, Origi, Lallana, Sturridge in particular are no longer or never have been good enough for a team trying to win a title, and Keita looks completely out of his depth in this league.

But the most gutting thing for me in the front players. Firmino and Salah in particular, trotting around for 90 minutes with their heads down. They look devoid of any belief, and the rest of the team is following suit. It looks like we've mentally thrown in the towel, we're frustatedly shooting from 30 yards, dilly dallying before playing a hopeless overcooked ball straight to their keeper.

Mathematically we still have a 3 point advantage, but mentally I think we've completely folded, ever since the Palace game at Anfield which really we shouldn't have won. I'm now absolutely dreading the thought of that shower of goons with their hobbit manager striking a nail in our title ambitions.

I'm shattered, don't know what else to say really. I maintained after the City game that it wasn't a disaster if we didn't drop silly points to shite, but it's happened now twice in a row and with the mindset the players have shown I can only see it being a regular occurrence.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

To be fair we’ve had a shitload of injuries and had to change it up. And we’ve still only suffered the one defeat. 

Is RIGHT.

We've going to win the motherfucking TITLE - it'll be a wild wacky ride and it wont be decided until late on, but we're going to win it. This team will get it's second wind in early spring.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sure, but forget City. The performances this past month have all been complete shite. We turned it around after a blip earlier this season and we could do it again, but the pressure and injuries are mounting and we've had very little in the way of good play in any capacity recently. We just might be falling apart. There is nothing good right now, nothing. 

Granted, we haven’t played well, but other than city last season or so, EVERY team that has won the league has had a blip, this may be ours

We’ve lost one league game all season and have ground out results when we haven’t played well, compare the last two games to last season, we would have got NIL points from them. We didn’t deserve to win them, if we’re honest the other teams have deserved to win, but they haven’t.

13 games left, still top, not playing well, we’d have all taken that in August, what we have to do know is concentrate on the next game.

There is absolutely everything good right now, it just depends which side you’re looking at it from.

I’d rather take the glass half full view, cos at the very least we can (and will) play much better than that over the next 13 games

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

This seems to be getting overlooked.  The injury crisis in our defence means we have to draft in midfielders to play there, which disrupts our midfield, which disrupts our attacking fluency.

It's disappointing, but there's no need to tag it and bag it just yet.