You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jan 29-30 2019)

tlw content

All season I’ve been ripping Newcastle and saying how I want them to go down. After Tuesday night I take it back. I don’t want them to go down. Not this year anyway. I can’t promise anything beyond that though because the fans do my head in.

How mad was that result though? I gave them no hope beforehand and when they conceded after 20 odd seconds I wasn’t even mad. Far from it. Better for them to get it over with quickly rather than hold out for an hour, build our hopes up and then concede three.

I had heard that they’d conceded early but when it was still only 1-0 after half an hour I decided to stick it on for a bit to see how it was going. Surprisingly, Newcastle were doing alright. They were playing well but just didn’t seem to have the quality in the final third to hurt City.

I watched until about fifteen minutes into the second half and then decided I couldn’t be arsed with it anymore. No sooner had I switched it off than the WhatsApp groups started going mad with news of an equaliser from Rondon (always liked him). 

Now you’d think at this point I’d check back in and watch the rest of the game, but I didn’t. Why? I didn’t want to jinx it. Stupid as it sounds, my line of thinking was that Newcastle had scored while I wasn’t watching so I needed to continue not watching it to help them see it through.

It worked too. Not only did the Geordies prevent City from scoring again, they only managed to go on and fucking win it. It was a clear penalty. No doubt about it. Fernandinho was too casual in his own box, didn’t see Longstaff coming and he tripped him up.

Matt Ritchie had to wait two and a half minutes to take it because of gamesmanship from that horrible neck tattooed goon Ederson. I fucking hate him you know. When his face comes on the screen I honestly have to turn away. He’s hard to look at, his face and shit tattoos offend me and I wince every time I look at him. I mean just look...

ederson.jpg

He flies under the radar but thinking about it, there are few players in the league I can’t stand more than this prick. Justice was done when he dived over the penalty and didn’t keep it out.

It was hard work following the game on WhatsApp but I knew I couldn’t risk jinxing it by putting it back on. Newcastle held out pretty comfortable in the end though as City just looked devoid of ideas. Isn’t it weird that in their last three defeats they’d scored first and thrown it away?

They haven’t been good for a month or so now though. Maybe teams have finally figured out that most of their goals come via the same route and they’ve found a way to stop it. Or it could be that they are just a bit fatigued. They don’t rotate that much and have had a lot of games.

I saw a stat the other day that I thought had to be bollocks, but apparently it’s not. Since the end of August City have picked up only three more points than Arsenal. Wow.

Our natural defence mechanism is to assume City are going to go on a run and haul us in, and that might still happen. Leaving our own paranoia and pessimism aside though, there is actually nothing to suggest they will do that because they’ve not been anywhere near as good as they were last season.

They lost to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle. There’s no reason why they won’t drop more points over the closing stretch. We will too though, so the question is who drops more. 

What this result has done though is shown everyone else that they can beat City. Newcastle are shite. They don’t have the quality that other sides who have beaten City have got. They don’t have a Hazard, Vardy or Zaha, but they still had enough to beat City so if they can do it, then anyone can. Except Everton, obviously.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Yup, the Lingard penalty is completely straightforward, whereas Mo...... And nobody seems at all bothered that Lindelof's equaliser is clearly offside. Didn't see it myself, but I heard that MotD didn't even show the McGuire/Mane incident. Totally balanced and impartial as ever, good old MotD.

11 hours ago, Mark M said:

Moral of the roundup is when City play Arsenal Dave needs to follow the match on watsapp.

I'm actually watching it in a mates, but if I happen to nip out the room for a piss and Arsenal score, then I'm staying in there and the lads can keep me updated on whatsapp.

Just now, DaveT said:

Yup, the Lingard penalty is completely straightforward, whereas Mo...... And nobody seems at all bothered that Lindelof's equaliser is clearly offside. Didn't see it myself, but I heard that MotD didn't even show the McGuire/Mane incident. Totally balanced and impartial as ever, good old MotD.

They didn't show it, but in fairness they had ten games to cover so it was very much a shortened version of what you'd normally get on a Saturday, when it's six or seven games at most.

Just now, dave u said:

They didn't show it, but in fairness they had ten games to cover so it was very much a shortened version of what you'd normally get on a Saturday, when it's six or seven games at most.

Yeah, that. And Gary Lineker's a Leicester supporter!

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic