Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 99 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I remember similar words being uttered about Mario Balotelli. 

And rightly so. Balotelli would never have been signed by Klopp, he represents the exact opposite of everything Klopp wants to build.

Depay seems like he may be something similar, that said I really only have an impression, he could be the most serious professional around and a great character for what I know. With Balotelli it was obvious we should’ve kept clear, which the old thread on here shows quite a few knew in advance.

I wouldn’t measure Depay on his time at the Mancs. They had last season van gaal then first season Mourinho. Lad was on a hiding to nothing.

you can see why we’d want him. 

Its nothing like Balotelli either. Balotelli was replacing Suarez as our main man. Depay’s replacing no one, just an option to change formation or off the bench. 

If Klopp wants him I’d back him to have a similar impact to Shaqiri. Solid, not spectacular and will contribute when needed

It's obvious people have only watched Depay play for Holland in the last few years. He's just not the consistent type of player or character you'd want to have in a team like ours on the cusp of success. He's the definition of big fish small pond. Now, he's talented enough that it could work if we were really after him but it's a definite risk and there's just better out there.

You'd have to also ask, would he contribute as a depth or rotation option? The answer to that in my mind is no, he's not selfless. 

On 20/05/2019 at 12:36, andyj said:

thats 6 points in the bag for next season 

We dont really shoot from distance, but if we do its certain six points with Mig in goal.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's obvious people have only watched Depay play for Holland in the last few years. He's just not the consistent type of player or character you'd want to have in a team like ours on the cusp of success. He's the definition of big fish small pond. Now, he's talented enough that it could work if we were really after him but it's a definite risk and there's just better out there.

You'd have to also ask, would he contribute as a depth or rotation option? The answer to that in my mind is no, he's not selfless. 

As stated above, I dont know, haven’t seen even close to enough of him. But based on the little I know, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were right.

Sometimes bias gets in the way of reality. Salah suffered the same fate at Chelsea. Salah didn't flop at Chelsea. His productivity was around the same for Chelsea as it was for Basel, Mourinho just jibbed him off too soon. As is the case with Depay. A narrative gets written, and it doesn't paint the full picture. Depay has been Lyon's best, or at worst, second best player for two consecutive seasons. He is one of the most creative players in Europe.

8 hours ago, CWD82 said:

I wouldn’t measure Depay on his time at the Mancs. They had last season van gaal then first season Mourinho. Lad was on a hiding to nothing.

you can see why we’d want him. 

Its nothing like Balotelli either. Balotelli was replacing Suarez as our main man. Depay’s replacing no one,just an option to change formation or off the bench. 

If Klopp wants him I’d back him to have a similar impact to Shaqiri. Solid, not spectacular and will contribute when needed

I hope not

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

And rightly so. Balotelli would never have been signed by Klopp, he represents the exact opposite of everything Klopp wants to build.

Depay seems like he may be something similar, that said I really only have an impression, he could be the most serious professional around and a great character for what I know. With Balotelli it was obvious we should’ve kept clear, which the old thread on here shows quite a few knew in advance.

When Rodgers was asked if there was any truth in Balotelli signing, he pretty much said this. Then his signing was announced. I agree Klopp wouldn't sign him as he doesn't fit, whether Depay is as bad as that I don't know but you can never say never. I can't imagine Klopp signing him at this stage unless Shaqiri is moved on otherwise we could end up with two rotation players who only get called on when things get really bad.

10 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He wouldn’t get a game.

Lol. He’s probably the best pure winger in football right now. 

10 hours ago, Boss said:

Thanks Lizzie. You've got me watching all his outtakes as well now. Nobody can neatly wrap the words Paul Masson into one sentence as many times, or say it with such elegance. 

“Mwahaaaaaa...the French...” will never not be funny.

Likewise the body language of the woman opposite him.

What a man.

39 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Lol. He’s probably the best pure winger in football right now. 

He’s not getting a game at city and they play wingers never mind that we’ve got a better first 11 than them anyway.  We’ve got the best two wide forwards in the game and he wouldn’t be getting either of them out of the team.  This isn’t even ignoring the issues Guardiola seems to have with him following instructions.  It would be a complete waste of limited resources for us.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Sometimes bias gets in the way of reality. Salah suffered the same fate at Chelsea. Salah didn't flop at Chelsea. His productivity was around the same for Chelsea as it was for Basel, Mourinho just jibbed him off too soon. As is the case with Depay. A narrative gets written, and it doesn't paint the full picture. Depay has been Lyon's best, or at worst, second best player for two consecutive seasons. He is one of the most creative players in Europe.

I'm on record here a bunch of times with how much I like Depay as a player, but even so, there's a big difference between Salah and Depay.

Salah's issue was never attitude. And for all we talk about how Depay's problems were down to LVG and the disarray that United were in at the time he was there (and all of that is true) it is also true that he did seem to have a genuine attitude problem.

I suspect that Klopp could probably work around that, it seems to me that as long as you add only one potential wanker per season into the group, the overall organisational culture will work to get them into gear for the most part. It's when you start adding two or three at a time that they can form a clique and then you start to spread the rot throughout the team.

I was a bit worried about either Shaq or Keita turning out to be a bit of a bad egg, but it seems that the rest of the squad being so sound has got both of them on board and we don't seem to hear anything about egotism behind the scenes. I hope that would be the case with Depay as well - he's phenomenally talented and if he would work within the team and keep his off-field persona in check he could be one of the best players in the league eventually. I strongly suspect he would, and that much of the talk about his attitude is just him being a bit different/extroverted, but not in a selfish way (more of a Sturridge than a Balotelli, so to speak).

But I suspect that Klopp wouldn't want to take the risk and would prefer to just get another Mane or Gini personality-type and then be 100% confident that he will buckle down and apply himself to helping the team succeed.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

He’s not getting a game at city and they play wingers never mind that we’ve got a better first 11 than them anyway.  We’ve got the best two wide forwards in the game and he wouldn’t be getting either of them out of the team.  This isn’t even ignoring the issues Guardiola seems to have with him following instructions.  It would be a complete waste of limited resources for us.

Salah can play in the middle. We could also switch to 4-2-3-1 against weaker sides, and play Bobby behind Salah...

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Napoli have made an approach to sign Nathaniel Clyne from Liverpool - Liverpool value Clyne at £15M and have received interest from both West Ham and Bournemouth. [@GOAL] https://t.co/bNcvwm0ruY

I’d keep. You won’t get a better back-up than Clyne for that price. 

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Salah can play in the middle. We could also switch to 4-2-3-1 against weaker sides, and play Bobby behind Salah...

Salah is a better player wide right. Firmino is a better player as the striker.

Why are you so keen to play everyone in positions that aren't where they play best?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Salah is a better player wide right. Firmino is a better player as the striker.

Why are you so keen to play everyone in positions that aren't where they play best?

That’s how Klopp set us against weaker teams in the first half of the season. Bobby scored 6 goals from 12 games from AM, so he’s clearly capable of playing there... also he’s naturally an AM, he’s always been.

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

My mate is a big City fan and he said a while ago this was coming. He reckons Sane has pushy parents who were sports people themselves who want him back in Germany as the main man for Bayern and had been encouraging his poor attitude to try and get a move there. So if he does move expect to to just be Bayern. No chance he comes here.

16 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

That’s how Klopp set us against weaker teams in the first half of the season. Bobby scored 6 goals from 12 games from AM, so he’s clearly capable of playing there... also he’s naturally an AM, he’s always been.

Classic.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Let’s change the whole set up of the team for a player to oust one of our two golden boot winners from their position.  There’s a reason we stopped playing that formation.  Firmino was stinking the gaff out and we were struggling to get over the line in lots of games.  On top of that who do you play in the two in midfield? It hardly suits any of our midfield players of which we’ve got a lot of.

It’s like saying go and sign De Gea for 70m because he’s the best pure keeper out there and then laughing at me for saying he wouldn’t get in our team and it would be a waste of money anyway because we’ve already got one of the best in the world anyway who isn’t as good at keeping it out as he is (he isn’t far off mind) but the way he plays suits us far more than De Gea ever would.

It’s a fucking colossally stupid suggestion because they would never sell to us and we would not buy a winger for massive money with the players we already have here.

• Upvote 1