Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 93 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Could you count on him in midfield against the very best in the league and in the knockout stages and beyond of the Champions League? The answer is probably no, as we haven't seen it. We saw it in 13-14 at times but he's not the same player at all anymore and those were very different circumstances. 

There are better fits out there than Coutinho for this side. 

We have seen it, many times. We've seen him score goals against Dortmund and United in high pressure European games. Against Chelsea away under Mourinho and at home against City in 2013-2014 when we needed to win desperately. He always showed up in big games. 

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

We have seen it, many times. We've seen him score goals against Dortmund and United in high pressure European games. Against Chelsea away under Mourinho and at home against City in 2013-2014 when we needed to win desperately. He always showed up in big games. 

Not in midfield, which is what this discussion is about. I've never said he's not a very good player who is good at a lot of things. I don't think he's a great or even very good midfielder, though. 

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

Some scary reports that we're after Ryan Fraser.

I think Fraser would make a lot of sense. Genuinely one of the most creative players in world football this season that someone will get on a discount because his contract is ending next summer. Nothing wrong with that. Only 25 as well. 

15 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He was always good going forward but it’s no coincidence that we as a team were poor defensively. He’s not metronomic enough to be an elite midfielder, but you wouldn’t want him to be, because as an attacker he’s one of the best in the world. Having said that, I still want him back. Play him as an AML against weaker teams in a 4-2-3-1, and rotate with the rest of the front three in a 4-3-3 against the better teams.

When he played in midfield his job was to get on the ball and pull strings, not to win the ball back (he was actually good at pressing though to be fair).

I absolutely loved him in midfield, even more so than when he played on the left.

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

When he played in midfield his job was to get on the ball and pull strings, not to win the ball back (he was actually good at pressing though to be fair).

I absolutely loved him in midfield, even more so than when he played on the left.

I find it weird when people say Coutinho was "pulling strings". He'd create chances, but he wouldn't really help us keep the ball or obtain control in games. David Silva and Bernardo Silva "pull strings". They conserve the ball, never lose it, cycle it around. That's why they've been great midfielders.

If someone's best attribute is to create chances and score goals, you'd want them close to the goal, especially if they're not good defensively or don't have great workrate. That's why Coutinho has been a forward or winger for the very large part of his career. 

I just can't agree. He's not a very good midfielder against most opposition. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I find it weird when people say Coutinho was "pulling strings". He'd create chances, but he wouldn't really help us keep the ball or obtain control in games. David Silva and Bernardo Silva "pull strings". They conserve the ball, never lose it, cycle it around. That's why they've been great midfielders.

If someone's best attribute is to create chances and score goals, you'd want them close to the goal, especially if they're not good defensively or don't have great workrate. That's why Coutinho has been a forward or winger for the very large part of his career. 

I just can't agree. He's not a very good midfielder against most opposition. 

I reckon you’re very much in the minority with that view.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

I reckon you’re very much in the minority with that view.

Am I? He hasn't played midfield very often in his career. I'd say most managers know he's much better in a different position.

Liverpool youth player Bobby Adekanye has undergone a medical at Lazio ahead of a summer transfer. The Dutch 20-year-old has signed a pre-tax £17,000 a week contract, three times more than he was on at Anfield. #LFC will receive around £300,000 in compensation. [@footyinsider247] https://t.co/4gl3myMWQO

Liverpool forward Taiwo Awoniyi is wanted by Lazio & Schalke this summer. The Nigerian 21-year old is wanted on a permanent transfer, after impressing on loan in Belgium this season. [@CompleteSports] #LFC https://t.co/c3KAT2paG2

The report by @SportsAde for the Nigerian news website talks about the recent report that Liverpool may accept £10M for Awoniyi. 

Lazio are the new Bournemouth.

So Van Dijk never getting dribbled past in a whole season, pretty much winning every single header he ever challenges, not only that but actually passing it more accurately with his head than most centre halves can with their feet, raising the level of the centre halves next to him, commanding the troops, making game winning tackles and pulling off ridiculously high level decision making like the Sissoko chance situation hasn’t transformed our massively suspect defence?  The one that became pretty much impenetrable from when he arrived which was before Alisson and was only screwed over by our keeper literally throwing the ball in our net and the best goal ever scored in a champions league final.

YeAh iTS BecAUsE CoUtInho iS nO lonGEr iN mIDfiELd.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, TK421 said:

Am told that Klopp has no interest in reuniting with Coutinho.  The affable German feels let down by the manner of the diminutive Brazilian's departure. 

So was I!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

So Van Dijk never getting dribbled past in a whole season, pretty much winning every single header he ever challenges, not only that but actually passing it more accurately with his head than most centre halves can with their feet, raising the level of the centre halves next to him, commanding the troops, making game winning tackles and pulling off ridiculously high level decision making like the Sissoko chance situation hasn’t transformed our massively suspect defence?  The one that became pretty much impenetrable from when he arrived which was before Alisson and was only screwed over by our keeper literally throwing the ball in our net and the best goal ever scored in a champions league final.

YeAh iTS BecAUsE CoUtInho iS nO lonGEr iN mIDfiELd.

Barcelona bought him to replace Iniesta, and gave up on that idea after a handful of games. But yeah... Van Dijk’s an accurate header or something.

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool youth player Bobby Adekanye has undergone a medical at Lazio ahead of a summer transfer. The Dutch 20-year-old has signed a pre-tax £17,000 a week contract, three times more than he was on at Anfield. #LFC will receive around £300,000 in compensation. [@footyinsider247] https://t.co/4gl3myMWQO

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool forward Taiwo Awoniyi is wanted by Lazio & Schalke this summer. The Nigerian 21-year old is wanted on a permanent transfer, after impressing on loan in Belgium this season. [@CompleteSports] #LFC https://t.co/c3KAT2paG2

The report by @SportsAde for the Nigerian news website talks about the recent report that Liverpool may accept £10M for Awoniyi. 

Lazio are the new Bournemouth.

Did he age 1 year in the 1 minute 20 seconds between these posts? 

26 minutes ago, ObifanForLife said:

Yes, he also changed name and nationality. 

First post and he rinses the Thoth. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Boss said:

Some scary reports that we're after Ryan Fraser.

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Fraser would make a lot of sense. Genuinely one of the most creative players in world football this season that someone will get on a discount because his contract is ending next summer. Nothing wrong with that. Only 25 as well. 

13 hours ago, dave u said:

My boy.

But no.

As the story seems to be originating from the rag, I think we can assume there is zero chance.

38 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Ryan Fraser would be a Charlie Adam purchase for the Instagram generation.

Has anybody said his corners alone are worth £10m yet?

his corners alone are worth £10m...... gets that out the way 

41 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Ryan Fraser would be a Charlie Adam purchase for the Instagram generation.

Has anybody said his corners alone are worth £10m yet?

The same people turning their noses up at the Fraser links are the same people that did the same thing with the Robbo links a couple of summers back. Players generally get better when they are surrounded by better players and coaches.

As backup to Sadio, Fraser could be an ideal squad player. Great energy & work ethic, believing more in his own ability to beat a man with his dribbling capability, and becoming more consistent as he matures as a player. Plus, he already has a good rapport with his international colleague & captain, the aforementioned Andy Robertson.

If we were to pursue a deal at a similar cost to that which we paid for Shaqiri, then it would be a good deal in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

All this stuff about "don't want this player, don't want that player, sign this player, sign that player", etc - it all feels a bit pointless these days compared to in the past because we've all, I assume anyway, got faith in the club signing the right players at the minute. If Klopp wanted Ryan Fraser, that'd be it as far as I'm concerned - I'd want Ryan Fraser.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

All this stuff about "don't want this player, don't want that player, sign this player, sign that player", etc - it all feels a bit pointless these days compared to in the past because we've all, I assume anyway, got faith in the club signing the right players at the minute. If Klopp wanted Ryan Fraser, that'd be it as far as I'm concerned - I'd want Ryan Fraser.

Aye, exactly