You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

We don't need De Ligt. We're ridiculously good in that position already.

Van Dijk and Gomez or Matip. Lovren too.

Fabinho can slot in for emergencies. 

For the first time that I can remember, a vaild argument can be made that adding more reserves to certain positions might do more harm than good.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

We don't need De Ligt. We're ridiculously good in that position already.

Van Dijk and Gomez or Matip.

Fabinho can slot in for emergencies. 

For the first time that I can remember, a vaild argument can be made that adding more reserves to certain positions might do more harm than good.

i think the for me the issue is more of between the 3 of them over a season they tend to have more fitness issues than others and alot of the time they all overlap. We found ourselves more than once this season having a midfielder filling in at centre back ......didnt Gini cover it a couple of times ?

1 minute ago, andyj said:

i think the for me the issue is more of between the 3 of them over a season they tend to have more fitness issues than others and alot of the time they all overlap. We found ourselves more than once this season having a midfielder filling in at centre back ......didnt Gini cover it a couple of times ?

Thought it was Fabinho. Hoever could play there in a year or two also.

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Thought it was Fabinho. Hoever could play there in a year or two also.

yeah he did think Gini played there aswell might have been the season before. That Hoever is a talent i wouldnt be surprised to see him with the first team next season along Adam Lewis 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, LF:D said:

OK, I think it's possible given how our spending has changed the last few windows & how he fits our profile so well.

We’ve spent massive money on gaping holes.  It’s refreshing because previously we’d generally spent mid range money on average/potential good players hoping they’d come good.  Not once have we went out and spent massive money on a position where we are already sorted. It would be the most anti-Klopp thing ever.  I honestly think if you gave him the voice between Gomez and De Ligt he’d choose Gomez because he backs his players especially when they’ve played well for him and not let him down.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

We’ve spent massive money on gaping holes.  It’s refreshing because previously we’d generally spent mid range money on average/potential good players hoping they’d come good.  Not once have we went out and spent massive money on a position where we are already sorted. It would be the most anti-Klopp thing ever.  I honestly think if you gave him the voice between Gomez and De Ligt he’d choose Gomez because he backs his players especially when they’ve played well for him and not let him down.

Klopp has never been in this position before as a manager. Who knows what he will do.

I agree that he values loyalty extremely high.  I think he loves Gomez too, maybe he does rate him higher De Ligt, not sure - wouldn't surprise me.  Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted him either.

Who thought Klopp would spend £75m on a CB before he did or that price on a GK?  Many dismissed it as it was against his past approach.

In the past t Dortmund he didn't have these resources.  He didn't have the luxury to attract the elite, fund to get them.  He wasn't competing with a City squad where it seems you have to get over 97 points a season to have a chance to win the title.

We need the best as that's what City are doing.  If Klopp thinks De Ligt is someone who can help us do that for the present & future, I wouldn't rule it out happening.  I wouldn't rule out it not happening too - I don't know.

But we can't judge what Klopp has done in the past.  Before he came to LFC everyone thought he'd play 4-2-3-1 here.  We've mostly seen 4-3-3.  He's pragmatic with everything.  He doesn't like sending players on loan & then he shifted that idea too, he said himself as the youth league wasn't good enough to make players progress.  His transfer spending has changed too used to be bargain buys, more recently that hasn't been the case - we've paid big prices as we need the elite. 

I think it's best to not assume with Klopp as he's about as pragmatic as it comes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James Pearce is reporting that we'll sign a full back and a versatile forward. That feels about right to me although i'd like to see another central midfielder, someone with more creativity.

That's why bringing Coutinho back would be perfect because he can play in the middle or front 3.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brownie said:

James Pearce is reporting that we'll sign a full back and a versatile forward. That feels about right to me although i'd like to see another central midfielder, someone with more creativity.

That's why bringing Coutinho back would be perfect because he can play in the middle or front 3.

Please. Be. Werner. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Please. Be. Werner. 

The only time I've actually watched him in full games is during the World Cup and he looked genuinely average. That was a poor German side though so it could just be that he was a victim of their demise as a team.

I really liked the look of that Brandt when they were bringing him off the bench though.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Watford are interested in Mignolet for £15m.

Mignolet is a step up from Gomez in their goal, but £15m? Do they want Karius included for the fee? 

Just don't think Pearce has a clue TBH.

He has more idea than us, as he speaks to the club.  But they tell him what to say & I doubt before a CL Final the club are saying who or what we want.

This time last year it was all we are happy with Karius, then we know what happened there.  

The club have done a great job at controlling leaks the last few windows. 

Re: Coutinho.  I don't really care about how he left.  If he started performing for us it will quickly be forgotten - that's just how it is.

However I don't know why you'd spend £80m, £100m - whatever he costs, when he does cause a problem in terms of balance to the side.  Especially in midfield.  

When he see players like Ziyech or Brandt on £25m buy out clauses this summer, who generally fit our team better.  I would have thought that would be a better way to go.  

The one I'd really want is Dembele from Barca if we are going for the best attacking player to improve us.  Mane or Salah both able to play central when needed.  I'd rather get the best wide player than central player when looking to get an attacker. 

If we want another Firmino replacement / alternative, which I really think Fekir would have provided last summer.  Then I think that player really needs to be more of an AM than a CF.  Meaning more Joao Felix than Werner.

If Werner comes I think he'd be used more wide & maybe Sadio plays more central when needed (or Brewster) if Firmino wasn't.  

I don't think Werner fits our central attacking player at all. He's all pace & directness.  Firmino is the creator / playmaker. That's if we keep persisting with 4-3-3 more often than not.

3 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

No chance that we are in for Joao Felix too?

I haven't seen much of him but he looks a quality player and perfect for competition/rotation with Firmino. Not many players in the world have those kind of link up skills and calmness on the ball. He drops off and plays others in to play and he can finish.

He would be absolutely perfect for us.

Yes, he would be perfect. Probably too expensive for us, though. It's said he'll sign a contract with a 120m release clause.