You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

40 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

He's on double that. He'll just become a Winston Bogarde tribute act for the next 3 years then end up playing for Cardiff. 

Yep I read he’s on £300,000 a week after tax, £600,000 before. The only two clubs that could possibly go to that are PSG or Utd and I can’t see either of them being interested at that level of money. 

Maybe Utd would have been before they got burnt by Sanchez but not now.

35 minutes ago, Thoth said:

It was only four short words - but Guillem Balague's response to BBC Radio 5 Live's Football Daily Podcasthas grabbed Liverpool fans' attention.

Fuck me the Echo is shite isn't it? I remember when Bascombe and Ric George's transfer talk was gospel, now they just do roundups of what other people have said. 

What does Balague know anyway? Other than how to pronounce Barcelona with a lithp. 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'll believe it when I see him backheeling himself in the bollocks at Melwood.

GET THE LEAN LEAKED! 

Former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam believes Liverpool should do all they can to try and beat Barcelona – as well as his former club – to the signing of Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt.

The commanding centre-back, 19, has emerged as one of European football’s hottest properties and has been linked to Liverpool, United, Juventus and Bayern Munich – but it’s Barcelona that look favourites to land him.

However, Stam claims the Ajax captain, rated in the £70m bracket, must choose his next club carefully – and he believes a move to Liverpool would would be best suited to his career at this time.

“It’s important that he’ll get playing time,” former defender Stam told DAZN, when asked why De Ligt should choose Liverpool ahead of Barcelona.

“If you look at the squads: Barcelona, after losing to Liverpool (in the Champions League semi-final), probably wants to strengthen their squad, especially in defence, if you ask me.

“The question is how they are going to solve that problem?

“I think that Matthijs de Ligt would be a good fit though. It will be great to see how he performs against better players in a better league, not just every few weeks, but every weekend.

“The same goes for Liverpool. We all know who is their biggest defensive star – his Dutch colleague (Virgil van Dijk) would help him – the other players, [Dejan] Lovren and [Joel] Matip, rotate quite a lot.”

De Ligt helped Ajax wrap up the Eredivisie title on Wednesday with a 4-1 win over De Graafschap and the 19-year-old didn’t have time to celebrate before he was asked about his future.

However, the teenager insists his next move is far from a done deal.

“This is not the time to talk about my future,” he told Fox Sports.

“I don’t know if I will go with Frenkie de Jong [to Barcelona]. I still have to analyse things and see everything. We’ll see what happens.

“I cannot say anything. We’ll see at the end of summer. There is nothing yet.”

Asked about Ajax’s season in which they reached the Champions League semi-final, he added: “It is indescribable. We have been craving this for five years.

“I enjoyed the cup, the competition, the Champions League and especially the team spirit.”

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Leverkusen made the champions league so that clause making Brandt available for £21.5M no longer applies.

I doubt he'd leave anyway.  Big fish small pond.

14 minutes ago, J-V said:

Imagine being called an Everton Rival.  How they've fallen.

Everton Football Club are said to be delighted with the progress made since being named rivals to Manchester United. 

"We are delighted with the progress made this season now that we are rivals to Manchester United," said an Everton source who wished to remain nameless. 

He went on "Having worn the pyjamas of both clubs, I couldn't be happier" before excusing himself to the old ladies room. 

De Ligt as a player & character (I love that video of him at the Ajax parade, showing what a leader & inspirational figure he already is at 19) - fantastic.

Obviously I'd love us to get him.  But I hope if we are signing him, I don't want it to be because Gomez can play right back more.

I want Joe Gomez to play as a CB for us.  If we have an emergency situation or at the end of a game we might want some extra height at left or right back to see out a game - fine bring him on.

But Robertson & Trent are so important to our attacking game. We saw that when Trent missed games and he was truely missed, United away for example.  Then he came back the next week & got a hatrick of assists. 

As much as I love Joe Gomez, he ain't going to provide the regular attacking threat we need as a full back.  Defensively probably better than Trent.  But if we have no Robertson or Trent, I don't want to see Milner or Gomez seen as the options.  Fine for a one off game.  For a two month stretch it really could be a stretch. 

This is where I'm more concerned with getting our priorities right this summer and targetting the right profile of player for our needs.  Rather than signing necessarily the best player or most expensive one.

De Ligt as a player tick all the boxes for us. Age, quality, character...

I'm hoping price is almost irrelevant (within reason) when we target players like him who we'd clearly be seeing as someone who could player for us for 10+ years & be a key player, like Alisson, VVD, Fabinho, Keita etc were.

But as awesome as he is, I don't think we should forget that our defence is already the best in Europe. I get that you want to strengthen when you're strong, can always improve etc. Plus you could argue some of our CBs don't have the best injury history, upgrading Lovren could be nice.  

Yet if signing De Ligt, means Gomez is seen as our RB cover or we aren't maybe getting a left cover for Robertson (thinking Milner could do it) or not getting a creative AM or another Salah / Mane type attacking threat... then I must admit I'd rather solve the weaker spots in the squad which could be the tiny %s which could be the difference in winning us a title or not.  Such as having a Trent or Robertson-lite type back up.  As when Trent wasn't there, he was missed & when you only lose the title by a point, that would be the main priority for me this summer - solve the weakest areas first.

As awesome as De Ligt is short term & could be long term - him arriving improving already the best defence in Europe (statistically speaking) would be marginal, if at all.

As a fan, I hope we can get De Ligt, get another ace match winner (Salah / Mane type), get an AM who is creative & can hopefully cover Firmino when needed, get cover for Robertson & Trent better cover.  As well as getting the right back up for Alisson.

But I'm just not convinced we will do ALL that.  If something has to give, I'd rather get Dembele, Fekir & full back cover.  Than De Ligt, one of Dembele / Fekir (attacking type signing) & making do with Milner / Gomez to cover full back.

I feel financially we shouldn't be at the stage as a club where we pick and choose what to do. But I do think Klopp wants to keep Milner & I also think Klopp has not issue as Gomez as RB, given how much we see it.   Plus I'm not sure we'll see 5 or 6 new faces, as I'd ideally want. 

I'm just not sure De Ligt is going to be the difference between getting more points next season, over other positions. As awesome as I feel he is. 

Yes I think  back up RB could help us get more points next season over De Ligt, as crazy as it sounds. I hope we can get both as well as others.

If we have a chance to sign De Ligt we should do it.  There's plenty of games to go around and unless we're going to be spending huge amounts of money on multiple players we'll have enough to cover his fee easily.

39 minutes ago, J-V said:

If we have a chance to sign De Ligt we should do it.  There's plenty of games to go around and unless we're going to be spending huge amounts of money on multiple players we'll have enough to cover his fee easily.

Agreed, and who better to learn from than Big Virg.