You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The Pepe link is interesting, I remember an article about him on one of the stats sites early in the season where he was touted as a potential star, but it was pretty limited data. I trust Edwards pretty strongly, though, when it comes to attacking players. If he wants him, let's get him.

De Ligt is the one I'm really crossing my fingers for this summer. I know there are a lot of top clubs after him so competition will be fierce but he really would solve our CB problems for years. We could sell Lovren (£20m?), buy De Ligt (£60m?) and not have to buy another centre back for 5 years minimum. VVD, De Ligt, Gomez and Matip, with Hoever coming through? Yes, please. I don't care how much money City have, they're not going to be better than that in the near future.

We do need another attacking option and I can see pursuing Asensio if 1)he's really cheap this summer, which is entirely possible as Madrid seem ready to give up and 2)if Brandt isn't available for the knockdown price or won't come to us for some reason. But again, whoever it ends up being, it will be someone good, and good value - Edwards hasn't missed on an attacking buy in quite a while.

• Upvote 2

I doubt there's anything in the Asensio links, it sounds like the kind of thing Madrid / Barca drop through a mouthpiece whenever they want to drum up business. Like when Barca were leaking they really want to hold onto Cillessen, but they'd sell to us for the right price.

Can see there being a lot of that this summer, as they both need to shift some players.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep, think it was about that. Ludicrous for a mid-level back-up keeper. To be fair, it was worth a punt from them, as it looked like we were heading into the season with Migs and Karius.

I honestly would rather have just kept Mig. He's not great but not really worse 

Think Depay is nailed on to come to us. He's close with Gini which should hopefully help him reign in his issues. Lyon want to move him on because of his reputation coz of that, he'll be cheap (I think). Him and Brandt would be bargains but quality additions and backups to what we have. We can then get spend big money on De Ligt and probably get in 1 more big signing along with some decent signings at full back

I think buying from Real/Barca is almost always a bad idea.  You never get anywhere near value for money and if they’re letting a player go they’re usually shite, on the way down or are young but think they’ve achieved it all already.  

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

I think buying from Real/Barca is almost always a bad idea.  You never get anywhere near value for money and if they’re letting a player go they’re usually shite, on the way down or are young but think they’ve achieved it all already.  

Everyone wanted about Kovacic when he was at Madrid and barely playing but he has looked shite at Chelsea apart from a couple of ok games at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

Absolute bullshit. Alexis, Ozil, Robben, Sneijder, Alonso, etc.

Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol claims he would “love” for Jurgen Klopp to sign Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt but he doesn’t think the club will invest in the centre-back.

De Ligt’s recent form and his prominence in Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-finals has caught the attention of Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Liverpool

Barcelona were reported to have struck a deal with De Ligt’s representative Mino Raiola in March over terms for the Holland centre-back to move to the Nou Camp in the summer.

However, ESPN claimed on Tuesday that Raiola is trying to bring Barcelona back to the negotiating table over a deal with more clubs now interested.

And with Liverpool believed to be one of the clubs interested in De Ligt’s services, Nicol was asked about his thoughts over a potential move to Anfield.

“If Liverpool’s got a wish list, then this guy would be on it,” Nicol said of De Ligt on ESPN.

“No question he is the up and coming young centre-back in world football.

“He’s only 19 years old but already he has a maturity and a class about him that belies being 19.

“So for Liverpool, would this guy fit?

“Can you imagine him sat beside Van Dijk? I certainly can envision it.

“However, I’m not quite so sure that Liverpool would turn round and spent the type of money that it would cost for this guy.

“The fact that they have Gomez, they’re probably looking at him as the future.

“So unfortunately I don’t think he’s going to go to Liverpool.

“But my goodness I would love to have him there.”

Looks like Griezmann is signing for Barcelona. If they are spending that kind of money on him then maybe the situation with De Ligt is lost and he's coming either here or to City. Van Der Sar said the other day this will be his last season at Ajax and he's either moving to England or Spain.

Looking at outgoings this summer there are four of our squad players whose contracts are expiring:

Milner

Moreno

Sturridge

Randall

Of course it would be fantastic if we could retain Milner for another year, with Moreno and Sturridge presumably leaving that does cut a decent slab off the wage bill, you would think that could release funds to buy a more consistently fit striker than Sturridge and bring in someone for competition at left back (unless -as previously discussed in this thread- the idea is to give Adam Lewis a pathway to the first team with Milner as cross cover if he stays).

Of those whose contracts expire next summer Lallana, Matip and Origi the latter two could do with extensions being signed after their efforts this year. Lallana is a difficult one as I'm sure the club reckon they could get more out of another player given his wages, but he was previously a captain at Southampton and has decent leadership qualities plus Klopp does seem to appreciate his presence in the squad. Also given his age and the fact he would be entering into the last year of his contract perhaps the calculation is that he would be likely to try extra hard next year to prove his worth to the club.

Those leaving outright probably consist of the loanees:

Clyne

Ings

Karius (though probably a year hence dependent on how his loan works out with Besiktas)

Kent

Ejaria

Ojo

Chirivella

Allan

Bogdan-if at all possible!

Pre-season is vitally important for Wilson and Grujic as to whether they will be sent out on loan again, sold or incorporated into the squad.

Of the rest of the squad Mignolet may go dependent on his desire to play first team football, supposedly Grabara is an able deputy so he may not even need replacing. Lovren and Shaq may also want more consistent first team football, but I'm unsure this will happen given the former is loved by Klopp as a cohesive dressing room presence (the lad can speak 6 languages or something). Shaq may just not fit in terms of the teams style of play, but has made important contributions this season, so if he can up his fitness and tactical understanding of the teams style of play then he may be retained.

Looking at all of the above I don't think there will be a huge amount of transfer activity, I reckon if the club do anything it might be to get one or two 'hot prospects' in, esp. to midfield and the forward line. So the Asensio links make sense.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Looking at outgoings this summer there are four of our squad players whose contracts are expiring:

Milner

Moreno

Sturridge

Randall

Of course it would be fantastic if we could retain Milner for another year, with Moreno and Sturridge presumably leaving that does cut a decent slab off the wage bill, you would think that could release funds to buy a more consistently fit striker than Sturridge and bring in someone for competition at left back (unless -as previously discussed in this thread- the idea is to give Adam Lewis a pathway to the first team with Milner as cross cover if he stays).

Of those whose contracts expire next summer Lallana, Matip and Origi the latter two could do with extensions being signed after their efforts this year. Lallana is a difficult one as I'm sure the club reckon they could get more out of another player given his wages, but he was previously a captain at Southampton and has decent leadership qualities plus Klopp does seem to appreciate his presence in the squad. Also given his age and the fact he would be entering into the last year of his contract perhaps the calculation is that he would be likely to try extra hard next year to prove his worth to the club.

Those leaving outright probably consist of the loanees:

Clyne

Ings

Karius (though probably a year hence dependent on how his loan works out with Besiktas)

Kent

Ejaria

Ojo

Chirivella

Allan

Bogdan-if at all possible!

Pre-season is vitally important for Wilson and Grujic as to whether they will be sent out on loan again, sold or incorporated into the squad.

Of the rest of the squad Mignolet may go dependent on his desire to play first team football, supposedly Grabara is an able deputy so he may not even need replacing. Lovren and Shaq may also want more consistent first team football, but I'm unsure this will happen given the former is loved by Klopp as a cohesive dressing room presence (the lad can speak 6 languages or something). Shaq may just not fit in terms of the teams style of play, but has made important contributions this season, so if he can up his fitness and tactical understanding of the teams style of play then he may be retained.

Looking at all of the above I don't think there will be a huge amount of transfer activity, I reckon if the club do anything it might be to get one or two 'hot prospects' in, esp. to midfield and the forward line. So the Asensio links make sense.

I'm sure someone else on here said that Milner's contract is up next year and transfermarkt etc are wrong about it being this summer.