You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

We need a player comparable to our front 3. Only luck has got us through 2 seasons without 1 of them breaking down.

This. Also our best player last season got injured and taken off in the Champions league final.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, No2 said:

We need a player comparable to our front 3. Only luck has got us through 2 seasons without 1 of them breaking down.

Agreed. In a Champions League semi final we shouldn’t be shoe horning a midfielder into a role he isn’t suited to, and nothing against him personally, but our alternative should not be bringing on Origi.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Wezza said:

Agreed. In a Champions League semi final we shouldn’t be shoe horning a midfielder into a role he isn’t suited to, and nothing against him personally, but our alternative should not be bringing on Origi.

This is the thing, May 1st and we have the whole squad including Lalanna Sturridge and Ox fit. Miniscule injury to Bobby and we're fucked. We shouldn't be playing Gini up front, maybe the boss was wrong not to trust Divock or Shaquiri.

4 hours ago, Boss said:

Firmino is the only player we cannot lose. He's the fulcrum on which the whole system falls down on, in his absence. A Depay or a Fekir out there last night and we don't lose 3-0. 

Mane can do a pretty reasonable Firmino impression, but then you need someone to come in with his ability in the wide role.

Which we don't have either.  Definitely need someone, it's killed us at the pointy end of the last two Champions Leagues.

21 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Is he more defensively dodgy than Gomez? Personally I think Gomez is all over the place at right back. He did a fine job when VVD was holding his hand at centre back earlier in the season, but VVD has even made matip look top class. I think we lose loads going forward without Trent and I don't see how we're better defnesively with Gomez. Gomez doesn't have the same weaknesses, but he has some that are exploited often. The only time I'd prefer him over Trent is when we're playing one of these ale house teams who'll send a lot of high balls at us and that extra height helps. 

Trent shits out of heading the ball constantly, he can’t tackle very well and doesn’t read attacking players body positioning to put himself in the right place.  He isn’t a defender but the way we set up 90% of the time he doesn’t have to be.  It’s not just ale house teams that play long balls.  Barcelona were doing it the other night and Gomez had to win his fair share.  If you can’t see that Gomez is a better defender than him then you’re fucking blind.  Trying to dismiss Gomez’s early form this season is comical as well.  He was brilliant.

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2019 at 00:23, Saintslfc13 said:

Arnold is dodgy defensively at this stage in his career but Gomez, especially when half-fit, doesn't have the pace to recover from his mistakes where as TAA does. Offensively Gomez on the flank is non-starter, he might well be capable of scoring some headers off of corners but that's about it. Had Gomez had a run of games then sure I could understand giving him a go but he was basically playing himself fit away at Barcelona.

Anyways to stay on topic, cover/competition for TAA, someone that can take free kicks consistently well, and a competition/cover for Bobby.

Gomez could probably run 100 metres before Trent got to 50.  I don’t know where this myth that Trent is fast comes from but it’s deluded and it’s been reported a couple of times that Gomez is the fastest player in the squad which highlights how even more clueless this post is.

• Downvote 5

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Mane can do a pretty reasonable Firmino impression, but then you need someone to come in with his ability in the wide role.

Agreed.

With Mane & Salah both brilliant central as well as wide.

I'd rather get a wide player over someone who is best central as Mane & Salah are our studs.

Pepe could be that man.  I really like Bergwijn, he'd be the one I'd go for.  Werner might be an option deployed wide.

As long as it's not Zaha.

As great as Mane is, I don't think he can. Mane's got 15 assists across all comps in 3 seasons. Firmino's got 28 in the same period. Depay has 35 in the last three seasons. Griezmann has 34 assists in 3 seasons. That's the sort of player we need.

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

As great as Mane is, I don't think he can. Mane's got 15 assists across all comps in 3 seasons. Firmino's got 28 in the same period. Depay has 35 in the last three seasons. Griezmann has 34 assists in 3 seasons. That's the sort of player we need.

He'd be different.

Probably not as creative, but more of a goal threat & offering more speed.

But they'd be comparable in terms of work rate & defensive work.

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

Trent shits out of heading the ball constantly, he can’t tackle very well and doesn’t read attacking players body positioning to put himself in the right place.  He isn’t a defender but the way we set up 90% of the time he doesn’t have to be.  It’s not just ale house teams that play long balls.  Barcelona were doing it the other night and Gomez had to win his fair share.  If you can’t see that Gomez is a better defender than him then you’re fucking blind.  Trying to dismiss Gomez’s early form this season is comical as well.  He was brilliant.

I don't think Gomez is a good full back. I don't know about me being blind, I think you are blinded by Gomez - he wouldn't get a game for Everton at full back. I wasn't dismissing his early season form, I am pointing out (rightly imo), that VVD makes anyone who plays near him better. Matip is a shit centre back, but looks more than decent next to VVD. He makes Gomez look a composed defender, rather than the nervy indivdual that we see when VVD is not there. 

As for Trent shitting out of headers, I have never seen him shit out of anything. I do see a player who isn't very big and quite sensibly instead of taking himself out of the game and getting beat in the air, he takes up a smarter position. 

You won't get me trying to say Trent is a good full back - because defensively he isn't all that, but his value going forward is immense (and that play is crucial to how we play). Gomez on the other hand is a pretty ordinary full back for many reasons and his attacking contribution is also pretty poor. I would never consider Gomez as a full back - I know we want to give him games and all that and most teams can't expose him as they don't have the ball, but there's no way he would ever be my 1st choice out of the players we have available. I'd even have Henderson or Milner in front of him at full back and I want neither of them there. 

33 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

We need a goal threat from midfield, the 3 behind the forwards must be able to chip in. 

We need a striker who will score more often that not when presented with one or two chances in a match - that is what decides who wins trophies or not.

The question has to be though is it how we play we don't score enough from midfield. Both Winjaldem and Keita have better records scoring from before they joined the club. Milner I am sure used to get more open play goals - I know his goal count is decent for us, but I can barely remember a goal that wasn't a pen. I would like to see more goals from midfield, but can't help but think i would need a change in how we play every bit as much as a change in the squad. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think Gomez is a good full back. I don't know about me being blind, I think you are blinded by Gomez - he wouldn't get a game for Everton at full back. I wasn't dismissing his early season form, I am pointing out (rightly imo), that VVD makes anyone who plays near him better. Matip is a shit centre back, but looks more than decent next to VVD. He makes Gomez look a composed defender, rather than the nervy indivdual that we see when VVD is not there. 

As for Trent shitting out of headers, I have never seen him shit out of anything. I do see a player who isn't very big and quite sensibly instead of taking himself out of the game and getting beat in the air, he takes up a smarter position. 

You won't get me trying to say Trent is a good full back - because defensively he isn't all that, but his value going forward is immense (and that play is crucial to how we play). Gomez on the other hand is a pretty ordinary full back for many reasons and his attacking contribution is also pretty poor. I would never consider Gomez as a full back - I know we want to give him games and all that and most teams can't expose him as they don't have the ball, but there's no way he would ever be my 1st choice out of the players we have available. I'd even have Henderson or Milner in front of him at full back and I want neither of them there. 

You need to watch the game properly.  He shits out of headers nearly every single time the ball goes in the air near him.  The best we get out of him is when it looks like the ball will carry he half arse jumps with the man.  It’s happens 2/3 times every single game.  I honestly wonder what game people are watching when they don’t see this obvious stuff.

Matip is not a shit centre back.  He came in and looked good at first.  He had a few bad/average games playing next to Lovren.  He then had a number of injuries and never got going again.  Now the braindead among us are baffled as to where this centre half who can look that good for weeks and months on end topping it off with a class performance in the Nou camp has come from.  It’s because everyone was just happy to say our whole defence was shite, Klopp can’t train a defence etc.  It just doesn’t add up for them because they don’t understand a thing that’s going on when watching the game.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

You need to watch the game properly.  He shits out of headers nearly every single time the ball goes in the air near him.  The best we get out of him is when it looks like the ball will carry he half arse jumps with the man.  It’s happens 2/3 times every single game.  I honestly wonder what game people are watching when they don’t see this obvious stuff.

Matip is not a shit centre back.  He came in and looked good at first.  He had a few bad/average games playing next to Lovren.  He then had a number of injuries and never got going again.  Now the braindead among us are baffled as to where this centre half who can look that good for weeks and months on end topping it off with a class performance in the Nou camp has come from.  It’s because everyone was just happy to say our whole defence was shite, Klopp can’t train a defence etc.  It just doesn’t add up for them because they don’t understand a thing that’s going on when watching the game.

That has to be one of the most comical posts I have ever read on here. He shits out of headers 2 or 3 times a game? Honestly, maybe we have different ideas of what shitting out is. According to the premier league, in his entire career he has only had 53 aerial duals - which is 1 a game. And while he loses a lot of them (about 3 in every 4, but gomez loses 2 in every 4), that's fucking obvious, he's a kid learning the game and a new position at the same time, he is the least equipped of dealing with headers in our back line, so any decent manager would look to expose that. 

As for this Matip business. He came in and looked OK - that was about 4 years ago and has been shite since, until he got a run with VVD. Lovren looks a better defender next to VVD. Gomez looks a better defender next to VVD. All of them are better around him. Sometimes in football over a long period you are lucky enough that that rubs off on the other player and they maybe even head towards being able to play at that type of level. It's why we were succesful for so long and the same is true of the Mancs. However, right now my head would be in my hands if we needed to play for a sustained period with Gomez and Matip. 

40 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The question has to be though is it how we play we don't score enough from midfield. Both Winjaldem and Keita have better records scoring from before they joined the club. Milner I am sure used to get more open play goals - I know his goal count is decent for us, but I can barely remember a goal that wasn't a pen. I would like to see more goals from midfield, but can't help but think i would need a change in how we play every bit as much as a change in the squad. 

They get the chances in this system though, they just nearly always miss.

Henderson is the biggest culprit and I am surprised that Milner and Gini don't score.

Is it because we play at such a high pace?  Maybe they dont have time to gather their thoughts and pick their spot.

14 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

They get the chances in this system though, they just nearly always miss.

Henderson is the biggest culprit and I am surprised that Milner and Gini don't score.

Is it because we play at such a high pace?  Maybe they dont have time to gather their thoughts and pick their spot.

I don't think they get too many chances and henderson seems to barely have had a shot till the last few weeks. When Klopp was 1st here, we would have 5 in the box on every move, I don't see that as much now. I might be wrong, but we seem to intend to pin teams in more and wait for our fast tricky forwards to get a yard clear of their man.