You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Did you read what I wrote?

I did, I just don't agree with the "Trent is dodgy defensively" line. And a player like that is as much about what he offers you going forward as anything else.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I did, I just don't agree with the "Trent is dodgy defensively" line. And a player like that is as much about what he offers you going forward as anything else.

Well, that's not what you said!

He's far superior at right back to Gomez. Even a match fit Gomez. But he's ropey defensively, in my opinion. Compare and contrast with Robertson, who also contributes offensively.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

100 percent truth there 

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Mistake. Absolutely. But Arnold is dodgy defensively, which is presumably why he was dropped.

Arnold is dodgy defensively at this stage in his career but Gomez, especially when half-fit, doesn't have the pace to recover from his mistakes where as TAA does. Offensively Gomez on the flank is non-starter, he might well be capable of scoring some headers off of corners but that's about it. Had Gomez had a run of games then sure I could understand giving him a go but he was basically playing himself fit away at Barcelona.

Anyways to stay on topic, cover/competition for TAA, someone that can take free kicks consistently well, and a competition/cover for Bobby.

7 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Arnold is dodgy defensively at this stage in his career but Gomez, especially when half-fit, doesn't have the pace to recover from his mistakes where as TAA does. Offensively Gomez on the flank is non-starter, he might well be capable of scoring some headers off of corners but that's about it. Had Gomez had a run of games then sure I could understand giving him a go but he was basically playing himself fit away at Barcelona.

Anyways to stay on topic, cover/competition for TAA, someone that can take free kicks consistently well, and a competition/cover for Bobby.

Opinions and all that, but Gomez is definately faster than Arnold.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Opinions and all that, but Gomez is definately faster than Arnold.

You really think so? Maybe it's just the industry then? All I know is I've seen Trent bust his ass to get back and attempt to make crucial tackles which come off at times, where as today and plenty of times before today I've seen Gomez be caught out and struggle to recover. Could be an agility thing rather than a top speed thing I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

We do need a extra good striker, we have for several years.and its only these last two years Firmino has been good enough as he is now. 

No question we need another top class attacking player.

We’re far too dependent on the front three, especially Bobby.

I’ve been harping on about us needing another top class CB for a couple of years. Still think we do, but with the form Gomez and Matip have shown this season, maybe that can wait. If so we should probably sign not one but two quality attacking players,

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

You really think so? Maybe it's just the industry then? All I know is I've seen Trent bust his ass to get back and attempt to make crucial tackles which come off at times, where as today and plenty of times before today I've seen Gomez be caught out and struggle to recover. Could be an agility thing rather than a top speed thing I suppose.

It could, and Gomez is probably not at his sharpest yet. But I was very surprised earlier this season when I noted how fast he was.

I honestly think also you need to take the quality of the opposition into account. The Messi/Alba combination has been lethal for Barca all season. 

We have a few main men at the AFCON this summer they will need a rest first couple of months next season . Perhaps Zaha not the right choice but we need players who can slot in and get results . Defo need to be acting sooner rather than later in window. 

12 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Mistake. Absolutely. But Arnold is dodgy defensively, which is presumably why he was dropped.

Is he more defensively dodgy than Gomez? Personally I think Gomez is all over the place at right back. He did a fine job when VVD was holding his hand at centre back earlier in the season, but VVD has even made matip look top class. I think we lose loads going forward without Trent and I don't see how we're better defnesively with Gomez. Gomez doesn't have the same weaknesses, but he has some that are exploited often. The only time I'd prefer him over Trent is when we're playing one of these ale house teams who'll send a lot of high balls at us and that extra height helps. 

2 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Id like Zaha, he strikes me as beeing very Mane like. 

Lot of people raving about Anderson at West ham haven't seen enough of him to form opinion. On Zaha I can see city off loading Marhez and replacing with Zaha on bench probably for about 85 mil