You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 hours ago, aws said:

I think he just means that we have a financial model for transfers and spending £20m or so for a nine month loan doesn’t fit into it.  

My memory isn’t that short. I remember when our financial model was completely absent.

We had our best player Suarez on less than half the wages Downing was on. You can’t have that.

As long as our financial model doesn’t stop us buying top dollar for players like VVD and Allison, I can live with Cou not returning on loan. Let’s just stick to the transfer model we’ve adapted, it’s not been a disaster so far has it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure everyone on forum looking a big money signing more when we were at our peak we had subs like Fairclough , Walsh and Rosenthal to throw on and change a game. It could well be Divock this year or a combination of him and Brewster all I know is when listening to radio in the 70s and 80s and I heard Fairclough or Walsh coming on cert we were going to win . Hope big div can have a super sub year like the back end of last season .

4 hours ago, JustTosh said:

We had our best player Suarez on less than half the wages Downing was on. You can’t have that.

What with us dicking about over the fee as well I'm amazed we got him given the incompetence of the recruitment at that time. Imagine if Spurs had pulles their fingers out and got him at that point. A soon to be world class Bale, Harry Kane on the rise, Modric and Suarez.

43 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

What with us dicking about over the fee as well I'm amazed we got him given the incompetence of the recruitment at that time. Imagine if Spurs had pulles their fingers out and got him at that point. A soon to be world class Bale, Harry Kane on the rise, Modric and Suarez.

Rodgers sacked sooner and not allowed to do the long term damage he did.   Add in the fact Suarez won fuck all anyway and you could say we'd have been better off. 

4 hours ago, JustTosh said:

My memory isn’t that short. I remember when our financial model was completely absent.

As long as our financial model doesn’t stop us buying top dollar for players like VVD and Allison, I can live with Cou not returning on loan. Let’s just stick to the transfer model we’ve adapted, it’s not been a disaster so far has it?

Negged for saying "Cou" instead of Coutinho 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Except it would appear our financial model is we can't sign players like alisson and VVD unless we make a major sale. 

3 hours ago, Boss said:

I wanted Coutinho back but that's a piss take of a price. He's failed at Barcelona. We were right to walk away. Still no excuse why we didn't strengthen in other areas though.

You think 8m plus his wages is a piss take? Seems a pretty decent price to me. We get 2.5m for Wilson who made his premier League debut this week. 5m for gruic, who is behind even lallana in our midfield pecking order. We even get 2.25m a year for karius don't we? And that cunt doesn't save shots and throws some in the goal. We can't expect to pick up an attacker who is a regular starter for Brazil for no wages, of course we need to pay his wages and they're about the same as the mancs pay rashford. I just don't get what part of this deal is over priced. Personally I just think we're tight and controlling costs is the aim for this season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Except it would appear our financial model is we can't sign players like alisson and VVD unless we make a major sale. 

You think 8m plus his wages is a piss take? Seems a pretty decent price to me. We get 2.5m for Wilson who made his premier League debut this week. 5m for gruic, who is behind even lallana in our midfield pecking order. We even get 2.25m a year for karius don't we? And that cunt doesn't save shots and throws some in the goal. We can't expect to pick up an attacker who is a regular starter for Brazil for no wages, of course we need to pay his wages and they're about the same as the mancs pay rashford. I just don't get what part of this deal is over priced. Personally I just think we're tight and controlling costs is the aim for this season. 

Boss is on about the special high price just for us of 40million was a pisstske.  Which it was.

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

As J-V says, I was talking about the £40m fee with tax payments on top being an outrageous price. The deal that Bayern got was good. We weren't offered that deal, they tried to fleece us. Bastardo (not you, Barca!).

21 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Maddock saying the total package for a 9 month loan to us was over £40m fee and salary, before paying all of Coutinho’s tax so his wages were net.

The bailiffs will be arriving shortly.

That seems very fishy , anybody else running with it ?

Face saver ?

2 hours ago, J-V said:

Boss is on about the special high price just for us of 40million was a pisstske.  Which it was.

Except it wouldn't have been 40m. Maybe the 1st quote was, but they let him go for 8m plus wages makes it about half that including wages. The price Barca were willing to accept is out there. Do you really think Barca would cut off their nose and effectively ban us from signing him ? I'm pretty sure coutinho's agent is smart, there must be a restraint of trade thing in there somewhere. But Barca are desperate for cash, so of course they asked a lot at the start, but equally we know their price, it's what they dealt for. If the stumbling block to this deal was Edwards couldn't make that price, we should be asking questions why not. Why does he get let off the hook? To me the price seems fair that Munich paid. If we fail to make the same deal, we don't know how to negotiate. I suspect it's more like we didn't want to because we didn't want to spend any money. 

2 hours ago, Boss said:

As J-V says, I was talking about the £40m fee with tax payments on top being an outrageous price. The deal that Bayern got was good. We weren't offered that deal, they tried to fleece us. Bastardo (not you, Barca!).

I bet Munich weren't offered that deal at 1st ask too. That's how negotiations work. If we weren't capable of getting Barca to a price they were willing to accept, we need to question our negotiating techniques or our desire to make any deal.  

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I was definitely in the ‘bring him back’ camp but if he’d come in on the wages he’s on at Barca he’d instantly be be our highest earner. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that. 

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

I was definitely in the ‘bring him back’ camp but if he’d come in on the wages he’s on at Barca he’d instantly be be our highest earner. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that. 

Well you need to think about "in the bring him back" camp. Because he wasn't going to take a pay cut and Barca didn't need to subsidise his wages, their deal with Munich showed that. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Well you need to think about "in the bring him back" camp. Because he wasn't going to take a pay cut and Barca didn't need to subsidise his wages, their deal with Munich showed that. 

Oh, aye, probably naive on my part but I like to think if we’d have brought him back on a permanent deal he’d have had to at least drop down to parity with Salah/Mane. We’d have found out just how much he wanted to come back anyway. 

I wouldn’t want him on loan if he was earning more than our best players so I’m glad we didn’t. It just sends the wrong message. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Oh, aye, probably naive on my part but I like to think if we’d have brought him back on a permanent deal he’d have had to at least drop down to parity with Salah/Mane. We’d have found out just how much he wanted to come back anyway. 

I wouldn’t want him on loan if he was earning more than our best players so I’m glad we didn’t. It just sends the wrong message. 

Well it would appear there wasn't a deal on the table for anyone of a permanent nature that reflected his perceived form over the last year. So a loan with the chance you may make him a more desirable player, coupled with a clause that doesn't take his value above what Barca have paid is your best deal.

Klopp often talks of his "12 month contracts" with his players, so a loan deal sounds fine to me. And if he's earning more than the others, I genuinely don't think that should be any more annoying to them than they earn less than Marcus fucking Rashford. 

12 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We have a good group of players now with our front three on long term contracts. Everyone seems to be happy. “Mentality monsters” isn’t that the name Klopp’s given them?

How would Bobby, Mo and Sadio feel if the one who didn’t want to commit himself returned only to earn twice as much as the other three?

We can’t do that. We have a wage structure and must stick to it. If Coutinho was desperate to come back to us he’d have to accept a pay cut down to the level of his mate Bobby. He doesn’t seem to want that and prefers to keep his salary and go to Germany instead. Fair enough, it’s a business and I don’t blame him. But he can’t have it both ways.

• Upvote 1

If that was our worry we could have shaped it with more money up front to Barcelona & they could sort something out with his agent while he is technically on the same as Mo. Let's be honest we just didn't want to spend any money this summer. Jurgen has been that brilliant that he has earned the right to make any decisions he feels , but I think FSG will feel the heat if for any reason we end up having to watch the likes of Origi & Lallana too often.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

We have a good group of players now with our front three on long term contracts. Everyone seems to be happy. “Mentality monsters” isn’t that the name Klopp’s given them?

How would Bobby, Mo and Sadio feel if the one who didn’t want to commit himself returned only to earn twice as much as the other three?

We can’t do that. We have a wage structure and must stick to it. If Coutinho was desperate to come back to us he’d have to accept a pay cut down to the level of his mate Bobby. He doesn’t seem to want that and prefers to keep his salary and go to Germany instead. Fair enough, it’s a business and I don’t blame him. But he can’t have it both ways.

Didn’t Coutinho take a paycut to join Barcelona? I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Didn’t Coutinho take a paycut to join Barcelona? I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere. 

No, he had to pay some of the fee or a bonus fee or something.... think it was several  million which Barcelona presumably paid him back

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Van Dijk. Probably Alisson. 

I don't reckon they'd have went in to that top bracket. Maybe Van Djik but wasn't he meant to be extending his contract to bring him in line with the top earners? The fact is we make stars we don't buy them and that's what has worked and what will continue to do so. 

At a push I'd take Mbappe mind.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

He's supposedly on 250k per week there. I think he was on 180 or 200 with us. However the thing with image rights being paid to a services company rather than income tax works here, where he'll need to declare it all as income in Spain. So net is probably a little closer than that. 

I think we were just way more successful than anticipated last season. When the accounts are released I won't surprised to see us at number one in wages. FSG incentivise every single contract, we seen from footyleaks that Bobby was on massive bonuses everytime he scored x amount of goals.  Assuming Sadio and Mo are on something similar, plus the lads at the back on assist and clean sheet bonuses we probably blew all budgets out of the water.