Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 281 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

A lot of you guys seem awfully worried about getting a few bob for FSG , I was rather hoping we would win the league. I get that Jurgen is a lovely guy , but if Lovren going harms our chances of winning it by even a half of one-percent he needs to stay. I love Dynamite's updates on the youth games , but bandying around names like Hoever, Van Den Berg , Larouci , Gallacher and Neco Williams whose average age is barely 17 as capable cover for the best defence in the league is just crazy talk. 

We have 3 years to win the league with this squad and manager. The decisions aren't short term.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We have 3 years to win the league with this squad and manager. The decisions aren't short term.

We have the best front three in the world , I am sure they will be happy waiting to see.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We have the best front three in the world , I am sure they will be happy waiting to see.

And I'm sure no club will pay 200+m for forwards in their late 20's on long term deals, so in essence, their happiness isn't really relevant.

We shall see.

As I said earlier I am happy to go with Jurgen on using Milner and Fabino to plug defensive gaps if he feels they can do that this season , but letting an experienced centre-half go leaving us with 5 proper first team defenders for four positions is a risk we don't have to take.

We let Klavan and Clyne go last year and went through a shit patch with injuries. Ultimately we dropped points in the league and got dumped out of the FA Cup. Lightening can strike twice. I'm not a Lovren fan whatsoever but I wouldn't be letting him go this side of Christmas.

I don’t understand how anyone can see this happen and not recognise the bleedin’ obvious: that it’s simply part of the package when you have Klopp as manager. He clearly favours having a leaner squad than most, just as he sees squad unity and player development as crucial elements of what he does. Furthermore, he’s now made loads of these apparently counter-intuitive calls as Liverpool manager and I can’t think of one that’s back-fired. 

The strategy is now obvious: we have a world class first eleven (arguably only one team in the world that’s better and that would be a fine margins call either way) and are now bringing in early the young players to develop the next world class eleven that will follow them. We therefore get to sign them cheaply and mould them alongside the players they’ll eventually replace. 

Put it this way, without this commitment to youth development there’s no Trent or Gomez in the team. More than that though, Brewster fucks off rather than signs that deal last year, Hoever goes elsewhere and Elliott thinks, “Yes I’m a Red, but there’s no point leaving Fulham”. 

Even if sone of these world class young players fail to make it here, it’s still a good strategy as it mitigates the financial risk, allows us to channel the big wages to the stars who until recently would have fucked off to Madrid or Barcelona and keeps the transfer fee kitty dry for the possibility of a one-off über-signing. 

I’m convinced this is the right way for us to go with Klopp in charge. Any other manager and I’d be far more anxious. Not with this guy though. I also think it helps set us up for a huge deal next summer. Financially we are positioning ourselves to be able to beat almost anyone (including City) to a very top tier signing if he comes on the market. And for me that looks like either Mbappé or, more probably, Sancho. 

Time will tell whether this strategy is right, but I will say this: Klopp is completely committed to it and only a fool would bet against him being correct. 

• Upvote 14

What's the measure of Klopp being correct, then? League title? Second place? Top four? Champions League win? Finalists? Semi-finalists?

I'd say the measure is some level of improvement. Which is difficult to achieve without additional quality. And with a smaller squad.

I’d say the measure is another good season in the context of City’s cheating. Because let’s not pretend that any of this would be causing these levels of disquiet if they were playing by the rules. We all see our squad through the distorting prism of City’s spending and consequently unfair success, but we’re not in a position to match that. 

That said, I’d bet my mortgage on us finishing top two again and winning a trophy right now. I also think we’ll win the league this season. But if we don’t, I’m comfortable with that because this is the healthiest position we’ve ever been in in the club's history from my perspective (or certainly in the TV money era) and that bodes well for repeated serious assaults on the top prizes, more than which I don’t think anyone can demand. 

So if he does that (keeps us seriously competitive at the very top end of the scale) that’s Klopp being proven correct in my

view. 

• Upvote 1

Where does this "we are signing Sancho or Mbappe next season" come from? 

Also when people say we didn't sign anyone in the summer because we are saving it for next season, what are they basing it on? 

12 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Also when people say we didn't sign anyone in the summer because we are saving it for next season, what are they basing it on? 

PM’d.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

No chance of Mbappe. We could sign Sancho though.

We could sign Sancho because..? 

We bought Carroll with Torres money, Allison & VVD with Coutinho's. I think it would take Mane to leave to get Sancho. 

1 hour ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Fantasy 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think he has not been correct in the past?

I think he's correct most of the time. Just surprised about this summer's transfer activity / squad thinning - given the level we're at (in financial as well as footballing terms) and the number of competitions we're involved in this season.

As ever, time will tell...

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I don’t understand how anyone can see this happen and not recognise the bleedin’ obvious: that it’s simply part of the package when you have Klopp as manager. He clearly favours having a leaner squad than most, just as he sees squad unity and player development as crucial elements of what he does. Furthermore, he’s now made loads of these apparently counter-intuitive calls as Liverpool manager and I can’t think of one that’s back-fired. 

The strategy is now obvious: we have a world class first eleven (arguably only one team in the world that’s better and that would be a fine margins call either way) and are now bringing in early the young players to develop the next world class eleven that will follow them. We therefore get to sign them cheaply and mould them alongside the players they’ll eventually replace. 

Put it this way, without this commitment to youth development there’s no Trent or Gomez in the team. More than that though, Brewster fucks off rather than signs that deal last year, Hoever goes elsewhere and Elliott thinks, “Yes I’m a Red, but there’s no point leaving Fulham”. 

Even if sone of these world class young players fail to make it here, it’s still a good strategy as it mitigates the financial risk, allows us to channel the big wages to the stars who until recently would have fucked off to Madrid or Barcelona and keeps the transfer fee kitty dry for the possibility of a one-off über-signing. 

I’m convinced this is the right way for us to go with Klopp in charge. Any other manager and I’d be far more anxious. Not with this guy though. I also think it helps set us up for a huge deal next summer. Financially we are positioning ourselves to be able to beat almost anyone (including City) to a very top tier signing if he comes on the market. And for me that looks like either Mbappé or, more probably, Sancho. 

Time will tell whether this strategy is right, but I will say this: Klopp is completely committed to it and only a fool would bet against him being correct. 

Can I have the number for your ket dealer? 

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Van Dijk. I don’t believe we will sign either of them myself.

3 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

What, VVD told TLW ppl about our transfer plan? That's one hell of an ITK! 

El Rojo broke the news in the members forum earlier in the summer.

12 hours ago, Daisy said:

Can I have the number for your ket dealer? 

Mate, if I was as negative as you, I’d cut out the middle man and just go straight to Dignitas. If you’re not happy now, you’ll never be. Genuinely, it must be awful feeling like you do when the team and club is so strong. 

• Upvote 2