You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Just now, aws said:

Should wait to see if they have any outgoings to Europe before making a judgement.  Are Spurs much better off when Ericsson goes? 

Yep.

Eriksen out is a huge loss, this is a lad that is involved in 30 goals a season, for years in this league. Sure I read that his percentage of the sides tally is the highest in the league - they could have brought Dybala  he would need a career year to make up the difference.  Lo Celso is not even close. Alli is out with the same hamstring injury he had 5 months ago. 

And they have Kane coming back --- Spurs have not gotten better.

The 2019 summer transfer window has officially shut.

INS:

Van den Berg (£1.7m)

Elliott (Tribunal)

Adrian (Free)

TOTAL: ~£1.7m

OUTS:

Moreno (Free)

Sturridge (Free)

Mignolet (£8.2m)

Camacho (£7m)

Ings (£20m)

Wilson (£2.5 loan)

Grujic (£2m loan)

Adekanje  (£300k)

Johnson (£300k)

Bogdan (Free)

TOTAL: £40.3m

We sold Solanke in January for £19m and as usual we never bought anyone. A few other loan fees of other players haven't been disclosed. 

Finally fucked off Markovic in January and his 75 grand a week wages. 

I’m some way from being an FSG cheerleader, but strongly get the impression not signing a forward is just part of Klopp’s way and his personal decision, because he feels the risk of lost opportunity is worth the potential benefits and is naturally more inclined to gamble on those he already knows than financially. 

I also have a growing suspicion this approach of his is partly what the let’s wait and see how well liked I still am in 2-3 years stuff is about, re him not signing a new contract extension as yet. I just wonder if he feels he has a natural lifespan at a club, especially with regards to fans liking and buying into his methods, and in not wanting to overstay his welcome is one of those rare people who can judge the right time to leave a party.

What I mean by that is, let’s say one of our front 3 do get injured for a few months and their replacements as many suspect can’t sustain a title challenge. Imagine our collective response to that now, even from the more measured members of the fanbase. There would likely be the first real signs of widespread open dissent towards Klopp and questioning of his judgement from many, for leaving us in this situation. 

I think we’re now so good, so long in waiting for the title, and up against so unprecedentedly and unfairly strong an opponent, we’re all desperate for as sure a thing as possible. Largely because we’re playing against the house, while emotionally invested enough to feel like we’re playing with the deeds to our own. The problem is, there is no sure thing when it comes to toppling an outfit like City. Klopp is the best chance we have, and his ways and methods evidently come with a fair element of risk. This summer’s approach appears to me to be part of that risk, as much as many, quite reasonably in fairness, want to paint it as FSG penny-pinching and tying his hands.

To pre-empt, by way of confirmation, I’m not suggesting for a second he’s above reproach. I’m not saying people shouldn’t discuss these things/show their displeasure etc (or think it would remotely be my place to) and I’m not saying Klopp potentially won’t sign a new contract because Daisy and co leave coultermarks all over an Internet forum. Just, to me, there’s a pattern forming to some of this stuff. How long he’s stayed at former clubs before leaving of his own choosing. Not liking to buy players mid-January in the main. Always preferring to look within for solutions. The way squad players are so included, respected and then lauded when they leave. It’s tight-knit collective being more than the sum of its parts stuff. I reckon this is all just part of the deal with having him as boss and, as frustrating as it is to be so near yet potentially so far, personally I’m just going to embrace it and enjoy the rollercoaster as much as possible.

Because in 3 years, or 5, or 7 or whenever it is, someone else will be manager and whoever that is, however successful, I’m certain this period will always feel like it was truly golden and one-off, with such a unique individual in charge. If we win anything else under him now the scenes will be incredible. If we win the league under him they will potentially be the greatest any of us have ever seen. Not signing a better reserve forward doesn’t diminish any of that, even if for so many of us it makes it now feel less likely to happen this year.

Lizzie Tomkins. 8th August 2019.

* Subscribe to my impossibly self-righteous feed at The Athletic * 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

I don't think any of the sides who finished below us last year have made a lot of progress tbh.

United's window in particular is pretty hard to fathom. They signed James, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire - lost Lukaku and Herrera. Up front, they're going to be heavily reliant on people like Rashford and Martial, who have been consistently inconsistent. Seems like a big gamble to me. Their midfield is average. Their defence should be better this season but a lot of pressure on Maguire. 

9 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’m some way from being an FSG cheerleader, but strongly get the impression not signing a forward is just part of Klopp’s way and his personal decision, because he feels the risk of lost opportunity is worth the potential benefits and is naturally more inclined to gamble on those he already knows than financially. 

I also have a growing suspicion this approach of his is partly what the let’s wait and see how well liked I still am in 2-3 years stuff is about, re him not signing a new contract extension as yet. I just wonder if he feels he has a natural lifespan at a club, especially with regards to fans liking and buying into his methods, and in not wanting to overstay his welcome is one of those rare people who can judge the right time to leave a party.

What I mean by that is, let’s say one of our front 3 do get injured for a few months and their replacements as many suspect can’t sustain a title challenge. Imagine our collective response to that now, even from the more measured members of the fanbase. There would likely be the first real signs of widespread open dissent towards Klopp and questioning of his judgement from many, for leaving us in this situation. 

I think we’re now so good, so long in waiting for the title, and up against so unprecedentedly and unfairly strong an opponent, we’re all desperate for as sure a thing as possible. Largely because we’re playing against the house, while emotionally invested enough to feel like we’re playing with the deeds to our own. The problem is, there is no sure thing when it comes to toppling an outfit like City. Klopp is the best chance we have, and his ways and methods evidently come with a fair element of risk. This summer’s approach appears to me to be part of that risk, as much as many, quite reasonably in fairness, want to paint it as FSG penny-pinching and tying his hands.

To pre-empt, by way of confirmation, I’m not suggesting for a second he’s above reproach. I’m not saying people shouldn’t discuss these things/show their displeasure etc (or think it would remotely be my place to) and I’m not saying Klopp potentially won’t sign a new contract because Daisy and co leave coultermarks all over an Internet forum. Just, to me, there’s a pattern forming to some of this stuff. How long he’s stayed at former clubs before leaving of his own choosing. Not liking to buy players mid-January in the main. Always preferring to look within for solutions. The way squad players are so included, respected and then lauded when they leave. It’s tight-knit collective being more than the sum of its parts stuff. I reckon this is all just part of the deal with having him as boss and, as frustrating as it is to be so near yet potentially so far, personally I’m just going to embrace it and enjoy the rollercoaster as much as possible.

Because in 3 years, or 5, or 7 or whenever it is, someone else will be manager and whoever that is, however successful, I’m certain this period will always feel like it was truly golden and one-off, with such a unique individual in charge. If we win anything else under him now the scenes will be incredible. If we win the league under him they will potentially be the greatest any of us have ever seen. Not signing a better reserve forward doesn’t diminish any of that, even if for so many of us it makes it now feel less likely to happen this year.

Lizzie Tomkins. 8th August 2019.

* Subscribe to my impossibly self-righteous feed at The Athletic * 

tenor.gif?itemid=14477202

4 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

I don't think any of the sides who finished below us last year have made a lot of progress tbh.

United's window in particular is pretty hard to fathom. They signed James, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire - lost Lukaku and Herrera. Up front, they're going to be heavily reliant on people like Rashford and Martial, who have been consistently inconsistent. Seems like a big gamble to me. Their midfield is average. Their defence should be better this season but a lot of pressure on Maguire. 

Agree with this. I don't think the signings of any of our rivals will make them significantly better. A bit better maybe but nothing to get worried about. 

What's the latest on Sane? If he's out for the season I think City will be worse despite the £100m spent. 

Just now, stringvest said:

I look forward to our first non-win, just to witness the frantic blur of sputum, keyboard, pram, shite and toys as the race to post the first anti-FSG rant gets underway.

It could be sometime in March that we lose our first game and there will be people who will go ape-shit on here about this widow. 

46 minutes ago, Bogman said:

Ovie Ejaria has today completed a season-long loan switch to Reading Football Club with an agreement for the move to become permanent next summer.

Everybody at Liverpool wishes Ovie the best of luck in his future career

I won't step foot inside Anfield until he comes back.

7 minutes ago, aws said:

Agree with this. I don't think the signings of any of our rivals will make them significantly better. A bit better maybe but nothing to get worried about. 

What's the latest on Sane? If he's out for the season I think City will be worse despite the £100m spent. 

Man City have confirmed today it’s his ACL and he’ll be out for months 

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I look forward to our first non-win, just to witness the frantic blur of sputum, keyboard, pram, shite and toys as the race to post the first anti-FSG rant gets underway.

Good point , might post one tonight to stay ahead of the crowd

• Upvote 2