You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

FSG must think since we were 25 points clear of the 3rd placed team it'll take something amazing for other clubs to close the gap on us. Maybe that is the case, maybe us standing still will allow Spurs and the rest to cut the gap to us to perhaps 10 points this season. But using that logic, City will pull even further away from us. Is that what FSG want? Allowing our rivals to strengthen with genuine quality players while we sit around and watch is negligence of the highest order. And bollocks to the theory that Klopp doesn't want to sign anyone, I refuse to believe it. 

Does seem to be that way, they've put the roster together now for a cycle. I think it's missing an opportunity to not take advantage of our position, football is an arms race and we need constant evolution. I find it difficult to believe with a record turnover last year and most likely next year we can't afford to buy a top flight forward to cover for our front three? It's a glaring risk and we've been hugely fortunate so far.

• Upvote 1

Have to say I absolutely would have taken a punt on someone like Lozano, Ziyech or even Fekir rather than sign no one. I know there's no one out there who is realistically better than our front three and also available, but there would have been room for someone to get like 800 minutes as first reserve for any of them, who we could then punt on next year without losing out financially.

Juve do that quite often, there's always someone who's in and around the squad getting minutes here and there simply so they can sell them in the summer. Players who are decent enough but never going to displace their starters. Lemina was one, Pereyra was one, Kean was likely another.

5 hours ago, chevettehs said:

I think this window is simply FSG re-calibrating after last summer. The Champions League is all well and good but the net spend trophy is our bread and butter. 

Have an image of John on the yacht dusting the net spend trophy to perfection and old big ears in the corner stinking of beer

Salah - 71 goals in 104 games.

Mane - 59 goals in 123 games.

Firmino - 66 goals in 191 games. 

Van Dijk - Current  PL Player of the Season

Alisson - Current PL Golden Glove winner

World class talents in Fabinho, Robertson, Trent.

Elite level experience and excellence from Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner, Matip, Lallana, Shaqiri, Lovren.

Insane potential with Keita, Gomez, Hoever, Elliott, Brewster.

The unknowns are Ox Chamberlain and Origi.  The latter scoring 2 against Barcelona and 1 in a CL final.

You can't cry-arse.  You just can't.  

There's nobody I've seen get transferred this summer who usurps any of our starting XI, and the ones who could be back-up don't want to be back-up players.

Yes, you could make a case for Bruno Fernandes or Coutinho to come in for Henderson or Wijnaldum.  You could also make the case that Barcelona would start Wijnaldum.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Another report saying the Sessegnon transfer has hit a wall. 

My boy Bruno is in training with Sporting today. You wound me, Bruno. You wound me. You are dead to me now.

Dybala might be off because it was rumoured PSG may come in for him later in the window. Pisser for Spurs, though, as that would have been a very tidy attack.

Don't see how Dybala fits unless Son or Alli are sold. 

He's a forward, not a floating midfielder like Eriksen.  I'd be delighted to see Eriksen go.

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Although there’s a part of me that would like to see him back, I’m not surprised Coutinho isn’t wanted. If you’re Klopp and you’ve sold a player on account of him engineering a move away from the club, spent the money on players operating a tier higher than him and seen your team improve dramatically as a result, putting in - results wise - the best season in the club’s history, why would you risk rocking the boat by attempting to squeeze him back into the squad?

Coutinho would be angling for another move after a few months of occupying the Shaqiri role, anyway.