Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 265 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

I think the Owners and the Club have been very smart in one area...and thats the media.

They have systematically over time diluted strong opinion. The Echo, which was once (a while back mind) a decent local source of independent opinion, is now firmly controlled by the Club. Every article this summer has been about how clever the Club is, why spending isn't necessary, why no one should worry and why the rest of Europe are running scared. And it starts as soon as it needs to, to placate the masses. Then you've got the national journos of sorts, Reddy, Joyce, and now Pearce, carefully controlling and publishing the right article at the right time, towing the line to keep the access they need to do their jobs.

The biggest change however, and one move that I really do have to doff my hat to them for is with local amateur media, specifically touted independent opinion on all things LFC - The Anfield Wrap, Redmen TV etc. They have made sure that as these mini hobbies have grown into business ventures, their independent thought has become less and less. These 'fan' platforms have become money makers and been given access to the players and manager, no doubt in return for keeping things light so to speak. Once you are in bed you will tow the line or lose your privileges. In fact the Anfield Wrap is very tame to what it once was a few years back, as its grown in popularity they have adjusted their output for broad consumption. Both themselves and Redmen are now publishing books. The core meaning and soul of why they started has long since vanished and why I won't subscribe any more.

So what does this mean? It means that theres not much of a dissenting voice, theres not much disagreement with what happens at the Club. Yeah you've got here at the TLW, and you get the comments section of the Echo and few dissenters on Twitter, but nothing that really scratches the surface.

I think from now on, if anything goes tits up from the owners you will barely get a whimper. The trademark issue for example, only a handful of fan names spoke up about it, the rest where very quiet. pretty sad really.

• Upvote 10

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Another £100 million spent by City this window, seriously why even bother trying? The very definition of a waste of time

They've spend almost £200m just on full backs in about 3 seasons and only sold one of them in part ex for Cancelo.

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Another £100 million spent by City this window, seriously why even bother trying? The very definition of a waste of time

Like buying a few stickers to put on your Ferrari.

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Fuck them.

We are LFC.

That's why they hate us so much, because no matter how much money they spend or domestic trophies they win, they will never be us and they fucking know it.

• Upvote 3

I like the way in that All or Nothing documentary when they sign Laporte for about £60m they are pretending to be on the phone to the bank to authorise funds like they are short of cash and playing by the rules. When in reality it's probably loose change down the back of the sofa from Etihad sponsoring the tram stop outside the ground.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Thoth said:

£200 million on full backs... how does that genius Pep win those trophies!

We've got a better left back and right back for the grand sum of £7m.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think so. It was dropped because of lack of evidence and the PL could pick it up again if more evidence was submitted. All Southampton had to do was submit the evidence. 

Southampton telling Liverpool to not pursue other players is far-fetched IMO. We could have easily done, we might have accepted to pay £15m extra but we would’ve chosen to do so, as opposed to forced by Southampton. if you watched the documentary, they quoted City the same price and City thought it was too much and bought Laporte instead for £60m.

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

We've got a better left back and right back for the grand sum of £7m.

Left back deffo, right back mmm, I don’t think Trent is a full back imho

31 minutes ago, Thoth said:

£200 million on full backs... how does that genius Pep win those trophies!

It’s a mystery that much is certain

42 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I like the way in that All or Nothing documentary when they sign Laporte for about £60m they are pretending to be on the phone to the bank to authorise funds like they are short of cash and playing by the rules. When in reality it's probably loose change down the back of the sofa from Etihad sponsoring the tram stop outside the ground.

People watch Man City documentaries? 

I say that as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the QPR one. 

Come on you stingy American tight arses atleast get Phil on loan ffs. 

I'm gobsmacked that we have had zero ambition this window and it's going to be the same in January.

I hope some fisherman crashes into Henry's yacht.

25 minutes ago, Thoth said:

The Arse have agreed fees for Tierney and Luiz apparently 

Serious dough spent by Arsenal this summer. 

With no champions league and a big wage bill.

How have they managed that 

So what's the net spend for our rivals? 

Spurs = 110m

Arsenal = 125m

Man City = 120m

Man United = 150m

Chelsea = 40m (with a ban) 

Look shocking on FSG. 

7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Serious dough spent by Arsenal this summer. 

With no champions league and a big wage bill.

How have they managed that 

Wait and see who leaves, the window only shut in the UK tomorrow, the rest of Europe have a while yet.

One of the forwards, Mustafi, a few deadwood players off the wage bill and Marty Feldman is fucking off to be Tyyips bezzie isn’t he? That’s potentially a fair wedge coming in/saved.

They'll be like Kegan’s Newcastle, only with the cosmopolitan Nostfartu in the dug out.

Leroy Sane’s injury doesn’t look good and there are fears he has damaged his ACL. He’ll have more tests tomorrow but surgery is regarded as a likely option at the moment. More info in @TheAthleticUK Q&A https://t.co/jaA14Scu7c

City will spunk another 25 billion tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leroy Sane’s injury doesn’t look good and there are fears he has damaged his ACL. He’ll have more tests tomorrow but surgery is regarded as a likely option at the moment. More info in @TheAthleticUK Q&A https://t.co/jaA14Scu7c

City will spunk another 25 billion tomorrow.

That is the equivalent for me of us buying some quality sounding spanish bloke from real sociedad that I have only seen on youtube for 50 million. 

Sane is a majestic player and even they will be hit by his injury. 

For what it's worth, I feel it's as much Jurgen as the owners. He trusts the players and believes in them. For example, he feels that Ox is like a new signing (hopefully he doesn't view action adam in the same light). He feels Divock and Brewster can be suitable replacements. He probably feels Naby can be like a new signing and show his class this season - I actually agree with this.

I would have liked us to go in Phil or put in a cheeky bid for dybala. However, Jurgen obviously feels that such moves could negatively impact on the rest of the team. 

The owners have landed on their feet with Jurgen but I do believe if he pushed the issue, we would have spent.