You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Sessegnon: 18, English, boyhood Red, 12 months left, about to be relegated (like Robbo and Shaq), can play whole left side. No brainer. 

Cannot understand the obsession

with replacing either Lovren or Matip (Yes, yes; injuries, shite, blah, blah, blah). The only way they should go is if that’s what they want themselves and the only way we should sign a new CB is if someone young and ridiculously good like De Ligt became available on a no-brainer deal; ie, we get a potentially world class player for the next ten years for a non-eye watering fee. 

For me, the priorities are a 10/8 type player (what Fekir would’ve been) and, unless Klopp thinks he can really give serious game time to both Brewster and Wilson, a fourth front three player. 

I wouldn't sell/release anyone bar the obvious (Sturridge, The Moron, Origi, etc) unless we receive a daft offer and they want out. Again, the ditch Hendo/Milner stuff bewilders me and Lallana might as well see out his deal until a kid can replace him as the occasional option he is now or else we take an unnecessary FFP hit. 

This is is a squad which needs very little work in my view. It’s a fine tuning thing now, rather than a “throw money at it” thing. In other words, what Klopp said. 

Agree with all that except I'm not completely convinced about Sessegnon and maybe we should be looking for a bit more experience. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Sessegnon: 18, English, boyhood Red, 12 months left, about to be relegated (like Robbo and Shaq), can play whole left side. No brainer. 

Cannot understand the obsession

with replacing either Lovren or Matip (Yes, yes; injuries, shite, blah, blah, blah). The only way they should go is if that’s what they want themselves and the only way we should sign a new CB is if someone young and ridiculously good like De Ligt became available on a no-brainer deal; ie, we get a potentially world class player for the next ten years for a non-eye watering fee. 

For me, the priorities are a 10/8 type player (what Fekir would’ve been) and, unless Klopp thinks he can really give serious game time to both Brewster and Wilson, a fourth front three player. 

I wouldn't sell/release anyone bar the obvious (Sturridge, The Moron, Origi, etc) unless we receive a daft offer and they want out. Again, the ditch Hendo/Milner stuff bewilders me and Lallana might as well see out his deal until a kid can replace him as the occasional option he is now or else we take an unnecessary FFP hit. 

This is is a squad which needs very little work in my view. It’s a fine tuning thing now, rather than a “throw money at it” thing. In other words, what Klopp said. 

We're being linked to a player called Francisco Reis Ferreira, or Ferro for short. He's a centre back. He's only played 8 times for Benfica and has already scored 3 goals. He got in the u17 euro team of the tournament alongside our own Joe Gomez a few years back. Make of it what you will.

52 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Isn't Sessegnon apparently going for £50m.   We don't need a number one left back and he's not the type of wide forward we play. 

No brainer,  I think not. 

Nah. He’s had a dip in form this season at PL level, played less, is about to get relegated, has only 12 months left on his deal and is still only 18. That's not a fifty million quid player. He’d cost twenty-ish plus add ons. 

2 hours ago, aws said:

Agree with all that except I'm not completely convinced about Sessegnon and maybe we should be looking for a bit more experience. 

I’m not sure anyone is convinced, but that’s why it looks like a nailed on Klopp/Edwards-type deal: talented youngster, lots of room for development, versatile positionally and a favourable contract situation. He’d be coming as a back up initially with plenty of scope to develop into much more. 

Guest Alex_K

Henderson doesn't need to be sold - but he does need to be relegated to the Nicky Butt / Ray Parlour esque role of title winning sides of old. A hard working, earnest English footballer - but not the heartbeat of a European Cup/Title competing midfield.

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think the striker position is the most intriguing by far for us. Absolutely no clue who we would go for, but we clearly will need one. Or will it be more of the wide forward who can also play in the middle type we've recently been going for? That would open up the possibilities. 

Jovic is the obvious one but the whole of Europe is after him. Werner is all but off to Bayern. Icardi will be available, but for us would he be worth the humongous fee? I wouldn't say so. I like Jovic's Frankfurt teammate Haller. Imo, he looks like a more mobile Olivier Giroud. That said, there doesn't seem to be that many great options at striker in the mid 20's range we typically look for. Maybe that means we take a punt on a 20 year old instead? Who knows. 

I think given the dearth of options, we'll probably go wide forward again. 

Timo Werner would be incredible 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I would be pretty worried if you thought otherwise.

Jordan Henderson was man of the match against arguably the best midfielder in the world in Thiago, and one of the best AMs in the world in James, a month ago... “worst player in the squad” my arse.

On 14/03/2019 at 17:33, The Woolster said:

If they get €130m+ or whatever for de Jong and de Ligt, they can probably get away with saying to no to any other transfers, but with that cash, they could potentially become the Bayern/Juve of their league and buy all the best players from their rivals, and then dominate their league and perhaps become an even better team. And its not like we are talking about a great Ajax team being broken up, they haven't won their league in the past 4 seasons.

That is some serious cash for them to play with, so would depend on how well they spend it.

I suppose the issue is when players are adamant they want to go.

26 minutes ago, Revenge negging cunt said:

Can't believe we were ahead of the mancs for so long. I thought they vastly out spent us in the 90s/early 00s

They got lucky in the early 90's bringing through the class of '92, signing Cantona for 1.3m they only needed to add 1 or 2 players a season. We on the other hand took a scatter gun approach to transfers spending big fees under Souness (who mostly bought shit), Evan's (signed some good players but couldn't control them), then their was Ged's first summer(one of our best summers for transfers).

• Upvote 1

It makes it look close like United could be one place above Liverpool for example but there's a 30 million quid difference at a time when 30 million was huge. Where are the figures from are sales included. United ending up spending over 3 or 400 million more by 2018/19. I know they have spent a lot recently but so have we.