You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Obefemi Martins

Mario Balotelli 

Wilifried Bony

Lazar Markovic

Andy Carroll

All looking for clubs

One of them could do......... 

Obafemi Martins is without a club in much the same way that Ian St John is without a club. Predominantly because he's in his early 80s.

• Upvote 1

Camacho on 7k a week. 

Just shows how fucking mental football is. No wonder few of these kids make it to first teams. They've made it before they kick a ball. Nearly 350k a year as a youth team product. Fucking crazy

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lovren to go next and that's another shitload a week off the wage bill. 

Lovren 100

Sturridge 150

Camacho 7

Moreno 65

Mignolet 65

A few weeks ago Jurgen gave an interview claiming that the new contracts we've handed out was our transfer spending so I took it upon myself to do a bit of maths. Just for comparison's sake, £100k/week is £5m/season, if you take into account the fee (amortised over the length of the contract) and wages together then our most expensive player is £20m/season (van Dijk).

So all the wages we're saving on those players listed above (assuming Lovren leaves) is close to £20m/season. That's more or less what a big signing would cost these days. Maybe even a bit more. So exactly how much have we increased the contracts of our big players in order to lock them down? 

I think that if I've counted them all the following players are on new deals over the past year (with a pure guess on how much of a pay rise we gave them to get them to sign)

Salah - £4m/season?

Mane - £2.5m/season?

Firmino - £2m/season?

Henderson - same salary?

Gomez - £1m/season?

TAA - £2m/season?

Robertson - £2m/season?

Origi - same salary?

Again, these are just guesses as most of these aren't public, but I don't think they're miles off. We probably had to take Salah from £120k/week to £200k/week just to keep his agent from calling him with offers from Madrid and PSG every week, but that would surely have been the biggest one. And surely Henderson isn't getting paid more than he was, seeing as he's getting older and probably we'll be looking to sell next summer.

But that would come to £13.5m/season in additional wages to lock down those players. And as you point out above, we're saving probably £20m/season in those we've let go (if you assume Lovren will be sold).

Fair to say there's definitely money there to make another big signing. So either Jurgen was adamant he doesn't need one (possible) or we really are saving up to do something big next season (Havertz? Sancho?). Or, I suppose, if you really don't like the owners, then maybe they're stealing it all for a yacht.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that we've increased wages by a lot more than suggested above. I assume Mo and Virgil will now be the biggest earners at £200k a week but that would mean that the other first teamers would want some kind of parity which would probably put most of them at £150k. I bet the likes of Robbo, Gomez and TAA have had huge hikes to get them anywhere near that figure.  

Manchester City are closing in on a deal to sign Joao Cancelo from Juventus, which would see Danilo moving in the opposite direction, according to Sky sources.

Negotiations have so far been positive, and we understand talks will continue today.

Danilo’s representatives met with officials at Juventus on Friday to agree personal terms.

Sky in Italy are telling us that City will pay around £27.5m for Cancelo in addition to the swap with Danilo.